Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 11 of 30 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20 ... 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 11 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Antiquated Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 am

The new Judo Throw is absurd.:

I don't have an issue with breaking up the attack into two options, but allowing them to toss an opponent out of battle for consecutive turns is ridiculous. As I understand it, you toss an opponent out and they return to battle at the beginning of your next turn, just in time to be tossed out again... Seriously? That isn't even how the other attack that removes an enemy from the battle is worded.

That attack on the Hurricane Blade is different.:
Namely, it removes them for an entire round. They come back the the battle -after- your next turn.

This must be a typo. Please change it.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/antiquatedannomaly

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 11 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 am

A) That's not a question.
B) Option A on Judo Throw only affects allies. In order to toss an enemy you need to spend 8 pips, which is very hard to do consecutively. Also, end of their turn.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:03 am

Bronymous wrote:A) That's not a question.
B) Option A on Judo Throw only affects allies. In order to toss an enemy you need to spend 8 pips, which is very hard to do consecutively. Also, end of their turn.
Then there has been a massive misunderstanding of the rules in my game. Thank you. I guess I was too rage-blind to spot any of that.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:12 am

A) Fling target ally away from the battle, removing it from combat until the start of your turn 

Yeah, it'd be *utterly* insane if it let you throw enemies repeatedly for just 2 pips. I still think this whole judo throw thing is silly though, it's a weird and abusable game mechanic. I like the idea of putting a temporary forcefield around an ally (which is weird if you fling them and why are they forced to return? A temporary forcefield would be better flavor) - but flinging enemies is kind of awkward (even as a -Cool.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:16 am

Well flavor-wise, it's less of a forcefield, and more employment of cartoon logic/physics and rule of funny/awesome. It's also pretty damn hilarious/fun to RP it. It even lets you emulate Applejack. Very Happy
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Judo Throw feels perfectly in line with the genre, especially for the Skype system. For tabletop where things like range are part of gameplay as opposed to an abstract concept like the Skype system, the various push/pull/move mechanics may make more sense.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:01 pm

combat talents doc wrote:[-2] Lash Out - Reaction Utility
Trigger - You damage a creature with an attack that targets only one creature.
Effect - Pay 4 life. If you do, deal 6 additional damage to that creature.
Does Lash Out count as it's own attack or does it count as adding damage to the triggering attack?

PS: How goes the combat rework thing?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:08 am

More tabletop questions from test session. For the combat talent Thornwhip:
Thornwhip:
Can you only use it if the target creature can physically end up adjacent to you? For instance, if all your free sides are filled with allies, can you use it and simply pull the creature as close to you as possible, or are you unable to use it?

Also, can you declare one of your own conjurations your enemy?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 11 Empty Ask a Simple Question

Post  Antiquated Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 pm

I've got several questions about the Utility Magical Tricks.

Magical Tricks:

Specifically trick number five. First off, what exactly do you mean by a "common mundane item"? We had an internal debate and the consensus seemed to be, anything that wasn't overly complicated, rare, or enchanted. Is that accurate?

Next, is there an upper limit to this, or can you just keep conjuring in another cubit foot of this thing every six seconds?

Next, is "cubic foot" A shape measurement or a volume measurement? Could someone summon in a crowbar that is longer than a cubic foot, but if folded up would fit inside a cubic foot box? Could someone summon in a cubic foot worth of chain? or rope? Could you summon in winter clothing that could be folded up into a cubic foot?

Next, do the things you summon in exist permanently? Or do they poof after a certain amount of time? Do they poof when you enter battle?

Next, what if the character also has mage-craft? Can they enchant the items they have summoned if they roll well? Or are these items too crude to hold an enchantment?

Next, can these items be used to create other, more advanced items(with the help of a mech check or two)? Can you even summon in raw materials with this? Or does the word "item" rule out component pieces, raw materials and anything that doesn't have a name(like screwdriver or lock-pick)?

Finally, what about liquids? Could someone summon in a cubic foot worth of lamp-oil? Or does the word "item" in the description rule out liquids?  

I'll present you with a few theoretical situations that had my group scratching our collective heads.

Could a character spend 10 minutes summoning in 100 cubic feet worth of lamp-oil, or crude-oil into a room to set a fire trap for something the rest of the party would later bring into that room?

Heck, even summoning in one cubic foot worth of oil into a room with a smooth stone floor would be a pretty serious obstacle... They start sliding around, get covered in the stuff, then all you need is a match...

Could a character spend a similar amount of time summoning in bricks and mortar and build a sturdy brick wall(with the aid of a few decent mech checks)?

And what about summoning in a cubic foot block of lead to use as a door jam? That door wouldn't go anywhere.

I feel like this utility was meant to let a character summon in handy little one time use items, not set elaborate traps or create brick walls. I even get a funny feeling about summoning in a cubit foot of steel, because it just doesn't strike me as a "common mundane item." But... the rules don't explicitly dis-allow any of the things I've asked about. If any of that is against the rules, you need to read pretty deeply into word choice and connotation to pick up on it.

I'd just really like some clarity on this one. It seems to me that if a character is creative and clever enough, they can do just about anything with this. Heck, if all that is okay, my next character might have this, magecraft, create crazy contraption and specialize in mechanical and arcana. It would be interesting to see what I could accomplish by combining all that together (they would probably be a Plane Shaper too).
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Antiquated wrote:I've got several questions about the Utility Magical Tricks.

Magical Tricks:

Specifically trick number five. First off, what exactly do you mean by a "common mundane item"? We had an internal debate and the consensus seemed to be, anything that wasn't overly complicated, rare, or enchanted. Is that accurate?
[*]
Anything that isn't rare and that you'd find in your average everyday place. So for example, a match, a musical instrument maybe, papers, scrolls, inks, all of that.

Next, is there an upper limit to this, or can you just keep conjuring in another cubit foot of this thing every six seconds?
[*]
Not an official game dev, but I'd rule it as yes a DM.

Next, is "cubic foot" A shape measurement or a volume measurement? Could someone summon in a crowbar that is longer than a cubic foot, but if folded up would fit inside a cubic foot box? Could someone summon in a cubic foot worth of chain? or rope? Could you summon in winter clothing that could be folded up into a cubic foot?
[*]
Cubic Foot is a volume measuement. So volume.

Next, do the things you summon in exist permanently? Or do they poof after a certain amount of time? Do they poof when you enter battle?
[*]
Doesn't say anything about them poofing, so I don't think so. Not sure what you could summon that'd require it to poof after time/in battle unless you summoned a kitchen knife to stab things.

Next, what if the character also has mage-craft? Can they enchant the items they have summoned if they roll well? Or are these items too crude to hold an enchantment?
[*]

I'd say that they can enchant the items, but keep in mind that the DC for enchantment would be something rather large.

Next, can these items be used to create other, more advanced items(with the help of a mech check or two)? Can you even summon in raw materials with this? Or does the word "item" rule out component pieces, raw materials and anything that doesn't have a name(like screwdriver or lock-pick)?
[*]
I'd personally rule that you can summon in raw materials primarily becasue they're still technically an item. Not like "Iron Pole" but "Iron Ore", and you'd be free to do whatever you want with it if you roleld well enough.

Finally, what about liquids? Could someone summon in a cubic foot worth of lamp-oil? Or does the word "item" in the description rule out liquids?
[*]
"Canister of Oil" goes around that, so I'd rule it's allowed.

I'll present you with a few theoretical situations that had my group scratching our collective heads.
[*]
And I'll present you with a few resonses from me-as-a-dm since I'm not an offical game dev.

Could a character spend 10 minutes summoning in 100 cubic feet worth of lamp-oil, or crude-oil into a room to set a fire trap for something the rest of the party would later bring into that room?
[*]
Yes because that's awesome. If the 'thing' you'd bring in is a battle, I'd even drop it's HP a lot before combat starts from the trap.

Heck, even summoning in one cubic foot worth of oil into a room with a smooth stone floor would be a pretty serious obstacle... They start sliding around, get covered in the stuff, then all you need is a match...
[*]
Awesome, but risky. Allowable.

Could a character spend a similar amount of time summoning in bricks and mortar and build a sturdy brick wall(with the aid of a few decent mech checks)?
[*]
Yep!

And what about summoning in a cubic foot block of lead to use as a door jam? That door wouldn't go anywhere.
[*]
At least until whatever's on the other side breaks down the door but xD

I feel like this utility was meant to let a character summon in handy little one time use items, not set elaborate traps or create brick walls. I even get a funny feeling about summoning in a cubit foot of steel, because it just doesn't strike me as a "common mundane item." But... the rules don't explicitly dis-allow any of the things I've asked about. If any of that is against the rules, you need to read pretty deeply into word choice and connotation to pick up on it.
[*]
Notice how a lot of what you said, the awesome stuff at least, takes /many many many many many/ uses of this talent, in a row, and stuff like summoning the oil to fill a fire trap can be interrupted.

Note: I am not an official game dev, so... take what I'm saying here with a grain of salt. Or the whole shaker.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm

LoganAura wrote: (words words words)
That was very through, thank you... I'll share it with my group. Now, I hope you don't mind, but I would still like to get a Game Developer opinion on all this. The Utility seems unreasonably powerful and flexible to me. But... That's just, like, my opinion, man.

Again, thanks for the speedy response.

I love this form more and more every time I use it.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:04 pm

Good to hear that! And of course. Game devs have final say, but you can of course house rule things. One campaign I was in involved someone rolling a nat 20 spectacular success to crash through a building and instead of fighting all the hordes of enemies, we crashed straight into the center area (Non-combat effecting combat scenarios)
Part of why it was speedy was because I caught your accidental new thread before I went to get some fillings.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:21 pm

LoganAura wrote:Good to hear that! And of course. Game devs have final say, but you can of course house rule things. One campaign I was in involved someone rolling a nat 20 spectacular success to crash through a building and instead of fighting all the hordes of enemies, we crashed straight into the center area (Non-combat effecting combat scenarios)
Part of why it was speedy was because I caught your accidental new thread before I went to get some fillings.
heh heh Embarassed 

The "New Topic" and "Post Reply" buttons being right next to each other confuse me. Again, thanks for the quick feed-back.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey at least we aren't strict about those sorts of mistakes like Something Awful is.
Granted this was the fist time, but eh.Big Smiles, Sweetie no big deal!
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:
Does Lash Out count as it's own attack or does it count as adding damage to the triggering attack?

Philadelphus wrote:More tabletop questions from test session. For the combat talent Thornwhip:
Thornwhip:
Can you only use it if the target creature can physically end up adjacent to you? For instance, if all your free sides are filled with allies, can you use it and simply pull the creature as close to you as possible, or are you unable to use it?

*bumps because they were skipped...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:04 pm

What would happen if I used this:

[-1] Implant Parasite - Standard Utility

Range: Melee

Target creature is subjected to your “Parasite” (save ends). In addition, you may use the following combat talent

[-1] Suck Blood - Minor Attack

Roll a d8. Target creature subjected to your “parasite” takes damage equal to the result and you gain life equal to the result.

With this:

[-9] Berserker’s Rage - Minor Utility

For the rest of the battle you suffer Vulnerability 4, and once per round when you make a single-target attack, you may have that attack deal +3d6 damage.

Suck Blood counts as a single target attack, so it would deal 1d8+3d6 damage, but would it heal me for an equivalent amount or would it just heal me for the 1d8?
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:22 pm

What happens to save ends effects and buffs on a character when they hit 0 HP and are knocked unconscious? For example, if they had used
Wild Abandon:
would they still have the 4 vul while they were lying on the ground?
If they got healed would the still be under the full effects of Wild Abandon? Would you still have the +2d6 damage when you stood back up?

What about Ongoing Damage? Does a Charter who is unconscious still take ongoing damage?
Can they die, reach negative their health, from ongoing damage?

Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Heal for the 1d8. Same thing applies for Syphon Life.
They heal for the die roll, not for anything additional.

Save ends are still active (according to Dan but a majority of them aren't really applicable when unconcious except for ongoing). Happened in his first campaign with ongoing 15 (Don't ask.). And yes, they can die. Same for enemies beating up unconcious/comatose party members.

Not sure about Wild Abandon though.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Antiquated Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:34 pm

LoganAura wrote:Heal for the 1d8. Same thing applies for Syphon Life.
They heal for the die roll, not for anything additional.
Makes sense, it would be really, really powerful otherwise. Still, thought I should ask.

LoganAura wrote:Save ends are still active (according to Dan but a majority of them aren't really applicable when unconcious except for ongoing). Happened in his first campaign with ongoing 15 (Don't ask.). And yes, they can die. Same for enemies beating up unconcious/comatose party members.
Kindle Pain twice? Actually, I don't really want to know. I was pretty sure on this one but I couldn't remember where I read it, or find it again, and wanted to check.

LoganAura wrote:Not sure about Wild Abandon though.
Hmmm... I'm toying with different builds for a berserker style character, I'd love to get a solid answer on this one.

Once again, thanks for the quick responses.
Antiquated
Antiquated
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Antiquated wrote:
Kindle Pain twice? Actually, I don't really want to know. I was pretty sure on this one but I couldn't remember where I read it, or find it again, and wanted to check.
Monster dealt the ongoing 15 on one attack. Dan is a prime example of his "Monsters don't have to follow ability design balance" :I
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Antiquated wrote:What happens to save ends effects and buffs on a character when they hit 0 HP and are knocked unconscious? For example, if they had used
Wild Abandon:
would they still have the 4 vul while they were lying on the ground?
If they got healed would the still be under the full effects of Wild Abandon? Would you still have the +2d6 damage when you stood back up?

What about Ongoing Damage? Does a Charter who is unconscious still take ongoing damage?
Can they die, reach negative their health, from ongoing damage?
Wild Abandon says "for the rest of the battle," so unless the battle ends when you go unconscious (like if you're the last party members standing) you'll continue to have that Vuln 4. Similarly you'd continue to have the extra damage buff if you got healed. At least that's how I read it. #NotADeveloperEither

I should also point out the one exception to the "retain status effects" rule: you lose any Regen you have upon falling unconscious.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Which is only half dumb, because if you can lose it from a a status then you should be able to gain it back from a status- though the hp reset from 0 when you are healed cancels that balance.

When you are DEFEATED though, you are counted as no longer in the battle. That should mean that A) you can't be targeted or affected by attacks, heals, general effects, whether single target or multiple; and B), that all status effects on you stop- because you are no longer in combat, and combat and non combat are entirely separate.

A is for certain true, but B sometimes goes either way, because of that split, and the fact that enforcing it sometimes doesn't make any sense within context (e.g. if someone has a gushing chest wound (Ongoing), it doesn't make sense for it to just stop when you get to -15). Since there is no official injury or hp restoration system yet in place, it is unreasonable to assume that someone who suffers an effect in battle should carry it with them out of battle, since they are separate and there is no real way to cure it. The only exception is being unconscious, which is clearly stated in the rules.

HOWEVER, this then means that the odds of someone getting killed are generally very small, and basically 0 when it comes to ongoing. Someone would have to be, at minimum, at -14 hp and take 16 ongoing damage in order to die. Anything less, and they fall defeated, and should be safe- up until the rest of the party is KOd and the enemies murder them. Regular attacks are still capable, since a Big Bad nuke can probably do over 30 points of damage, and could bypass defeated entirely if the Player has really bad luck. But really, the Defeated state does just as much to keep PCs alive as to keep them out of the fight, at least in the way I've interpreted it thus far.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:05 pm

Wild Abandon says "Till the end of battle" meaning it'd totally stay active. And yes... The vul form it would be triggered form ongoing.

And my Understanding is that you still are in battle, and can be attacked while in a coma... Just you can't rejoin the fight. (Unless you are glorious miracled...)
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:

Philadelphus wrote:More tabletop questions from test session. For the combat talent Thornwhip:
Thornwhip:

SKIPPED TWICE THESE QUESTIONS WHERE. Even without any comment to thoughts form a non-dev like Logan.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:
Xel Unknown wrote:

Thornwhip:

SKIPPED TWICE THESE QUESTIONS WHERE. Even without any comment to thoughts form a non-dev like Logan.

Sorry :/
Lash out is a utility. It doesn't count as an attack.
Personally I'd rule it as unusable if no squares near you are open. Otherwise you could 'pull' an enemy into a pit if you're a flier over a pit.

I'd rule it no since you're summoning them.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 30 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20 ... 30  Next