Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 23 of 30 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 24 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Crystalite Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Spoiler:

I assume they lose life, like the first effect? I'm inclined to assume so, at least.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 24 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Yup.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubblez Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Bubblez wrote:Wanderlust questions:
In a game a group I'm in, we have some questions over when/how conjurations take actions and right now we have 2-3 different interpretations.  This really boils down to 4 questions:

1.) What stage of the turn to conjurations act?
a.) The beginning of turn
b.) The end of the turn (Like in Pony Tales)
c.) At any time during the turn

2.) Do conjurations have summoning sickness? (i.e. can they immediately take actions the turn they are summoned or do they have to wait a turn?) only really relevant is the answer to 1.) is b.) and c.)
Yes, Conjurations have summoning sickness and MUST WAIT a turn before taking actions
No, Conjurations do NOT have summoning sickness and can IMMEDIATELY take actions

3.) Does the summoner have to expend any actions (standard or minor) to get conjurations do things?
(Yes/No)

4.) Is there a limit to how many conjurations someone can control? Can they control multiple conjurations of the same type at the same time (Could I for example have 2 Battle Spirits active at the same time in reserve as quick heal batteries)

Dan, I figured I'd bump this, since I am curious about the official ruling.
Reading the rules I'm inclined to interpet it as C/N/N/N

Bubblez
Bubblez
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:58 pm

You're correct.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubblez Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:01 am

Wanderlust Question:

Can Wild Blow trigger itself? It appears to be a new attack thus a new instance of damaging an enemy

Wild Blow:

I.E. can I do this:

Move:

Bubblez
Bubblez
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Bubblez wrote:Wanderlust Question:

Can Wild Blow trigger itself? It appears to be a  new attack thus a new instance of damaging an enemy

Wild Blow:

I.E. can I do this:

Move:

EDIT - Yep, since each is a different trigger you can use them to chain off one another. It was designed as an adrenaline sink in case you had too much. I had to edit this answer because I was thinking of a different system. Sorry if you read the previous one.

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubblez Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Okay.

Also, how does Divine Light and No Pain No Gain interact

No Pain No Gain:

Divine Light:

For example, If Player A were to use Divine Light on Player B Giving him 3 sets of 10 life (30 total) and Player B used No Pain No Gain, would
A.) They gain 10 Adrenaline (the Total), but ALL life they get from 1 move have to be converted

or

B.) They gain 9 Adrenaline [round(10/3)+round(10/3)+round(10/3)]

And if B.), could Player B choose how many sets they want to turn into Adrenaline
Bubblez
Bubblez
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Bubblez wrote:Okay.

Also, how does Divine Light and No Pain No Gain interact

No Pain No Gain:

Divine Light:

For example, If Player A were to use Divine Light on Player B Giving him 3 sets of 10 life (30 total) and Player B used No Pain No Gain, would
A.) They gain 10 Adrenaline (the Total), but ALL life they get from 1 move have to be converted

or

B.) They gain 9 Adrenaline [round(10/3)+round(10/3)+round(10/3)]

And if B.), could Player B choose how many sets they want to turn into Adrenaline

First off, I actually misread the previous question and have completely reversed my answer once I realized you were talking about Wanderlust. You can totally spam the heck out of it.

Second, unfortunately it's B - due to each lifegain being a distinct instance of life being gained. And yes, the berserker can choose how many they want to turn into adrenaline and how much they want as life.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:30 am

Energizing Amulet:
and
Blood pact:
Which triggers first? Can I choose so I lose the life first, then gain the amulet's energy?
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:34 am

The active player (player whose turn it is) chooses the order for all things that would occur at the same time on that turn.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:12 am

Do unconscious characters still have to roll against save ends effects?
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:20 am

Depends on the flavor of the effect. Remember, the rules are a base engine for the GM to use. When something doesn't make sense, they should feel empowered to make a custom change.

Save ends effects represent different things. Sometimes it's an active physical or mental attempt to break the effect. Sometimes it's just letting the player in question roll to see if the effect runs out of juice. For example, I wouldn't let an unconscious character save against domination in the midst of combat (though if the effect lasted for more than 5 minutes I'd just auto-end it because these effects are temporary by design). I would let them keep saving against ongoing damage in most situations, as that's more related to whether the fire sputters out on its own.

By default, unconscious characters should still be making saving throws (especially if the effect can harm them while they're unconscious they should probably be making saving throws anyway). If nothing else, it gives them something to do during the fight. But if it REALLY doesn't make sense for them to be able to make that saving throw, I'd encourage the GM to disallow it.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AleneShazam Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:59 am

Question:
According to the Diversity rule, modifiers of the same game element do not stack unless specified (or something to that effect)
What about this trait and this item? Do their effects override each other or do they both take effect?
Rabbit Filled Hat:
Nothing Up My Sleeve:
Also, can 'target creature' include the user of the talent/ability?
AleneShazam
AleneShazam
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:10 pm

Those are different elements. You can't take two-rabbit-filled-hats and have them stack. But the hat does work with the sleeves.

And yes, target creature means any creature.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Faege Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:27 pm

Spoiler:
Does this mean "Once per battle you can use a conjure weapon talent for 3 less energy" or "One conjure weapon talent costs 3 less energy to use for the remainder of the battle"?

Faege
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:11 am

As written, it means that you can reduce the cost by 3 for the remainder of the battle. As intended it was only supposed to let you use it for 3 less - but I'm curious to see the builds that using this as written comes up with. So I'm upholding it as written for now. Smile
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:22 am

It's been a while since I played so my question is:
Are
Derp:
and
Disaster Averted:
designed to work in tandem?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:31 am

Absolutely. That combination is a way to play the clumsy-yet-somehow-unintentionally-brilliant character. Of course, the two talents do work on their own too.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:42 am

Okay cool.

One other question (because it has been very long since I've played ^^):
Considering the following situation: you roll a natural 1 on your Expert skill. Can you then use your
Element of Magic:
to choose the preselected
This is Whining!:
talent to turn it into a natural 20?

Or would the timing be off for that option?
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:52 am

Timing is fine there. You can make it work.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Demonu Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:04 am

Not a rules mechanics question but a curious thought: is there any reason why The Stare specifically states Persuasion while the other three (Frozen Time, Yee-Haw and Book Forte) refer to the overarching attributes?

On that note: a Brawn check includes both Athletics as Endurance checks, right? (same question for the other attributes)
Demonu
Demonu
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubblez Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Ponytales question

Neither the traits Putrid Explosion, Consume Spirit, nor Reincarnation have per round limits, only per battle. Would this mean I can, if feeling wasteful, blow through all 5 uses in 1 turn

Traits:
The sequence of events looking like this

Sequence:

Reading the Free action and Reaction rules, I don't see any limits on the number of times I can use those per turn (In fact I've seen many times people using Reactions like Vengeance is Mine in a single round.

Free Actions:

Reactions:

So is this combo legal under Pony Tales rules, or am I missing something?
Bubblez
Bubblez
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:43 pm

Demonu wrote:Not a rules mechanics question but a curious thought: is there any reason why The Stare specifically states Persuasion while the other three (Frozen Time, Yee-Haw and Book Forte) refer to the overarching attributes?

On that note: a Brawn check includes both Athletics as Endurance checks, right? (same question for the other attributes)

That's because it came from the show more than a unified cycle of mechanical abilities. The Stare doesn't really fit other sense skills as much. As a setting with a lot of social components too, Persuasion tends to be worth a  huge amount too, so the power is comparable.

Your question on brawn checks is correct.

Bubblez wrote:Ponytales question

Neither the traits Putrid Explosion, Consume Spirit, nor Reincarnation have per round limits, only per battle.  Would this mean I can, if feeling wasteful, blow through all 5 uses in 1 turn

Traits:
The sequence of events looking like this

Sequence:

Reading the Free action and Reaction rules, I don't see any limits on the number of times I can use those per turn (In fact I've seen many times people using Reactions like Vengeance is Mine in a single round.

Free Actions:

Reactions:

So is this combo legal under Pony Tales rules, or am I missing something?

It's entirely legal, and was the basis of one of my own powerhouse conjurer builds. Though that version used the tabletop version of the game too, so the relative power will be different in the skype-based system.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubblez Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:02 pm

How would
[–6] Daggerstorm - Standard Attack
Roll d12s until you either get a result of 3 or lower or have rolled 5 times. Deal damage to target creature equal to the total die results you rolled this way.

and

Bloodlust
You may roll twice on attacks made against bloodied targets. You may use either result.

interact since Daggerstorm doesn't roll all at once

would it be

Roll 2d12 take 1
Roll 2d12 take 1
until BOTH are less than 3 or you did so 5 times

OR

is it roll each tree
Tree 1 roll till you get 3 or less or you did so 5 times
Tree 2 roll till you get 3 or less or you did so 5 times
and you get to choose tree 1 or tree 2?
Bubblez
Bubblez
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:12 pm

You roll for the entire attack. So you roll until you've rolled 5 times, or gotten a result of 3 or lower. Then you do it again. Then pick which result you like better.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 30 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26 ... 30  Next