Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 13 of 30 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21 ... 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 13 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:02 am

Since it technically means the end of racials and utilities, will the new Ability system alter the structure of the forum?
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 13 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:26 am

Well, they are keeping the old system around, so I doubt it...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:21 am

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question myself.

As Kindulas and Nehiel are retired staff. Who are the developers now?

I know there's Staric, and for the new ability system there is Phil... anyone else?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:31 am

The "Retired Staff" is forum moderation. They're still devs.
An example is people like Cary, Oblivious, and Ranubis who haven't been on the forum since the start.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:35 am

I see... thanks for the explanation.

I suppose focusing on being devs would let them get more done
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:12 pm

If I have both the Reloader and Greater Reloader equipped am I able to use the utilities given by both?
Item descriptions for reference):

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:19 pm

Doc pseudopolis wrote:If I have both the Reloader and Greater Reloader equipped am I able to use the utilities given by both?
Item descriptions for reference):
They are free actions, so sure...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:19 pm

One turn surge... but 8 PiPs is quite a lot
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Even better, you don't even have to spend your own pips to use them. Get someone with channel mind to front you 7 for a big move, and you've suddenly got a lot of pips to play with.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Can the Healing Tincture's ability (Free utility that gives you 5 hp for -1 pip) be used as an interrupt to an attacker's ability, before and/or after you see the full results of an attack?

For instance, you would get hit for 1d12 damage by an attack, and the roll says it does 12 damage.

1) Can you use the Healing Tincture after you've seen the results of the ability/enemy rolls, and essentially make the free action count as an interrupt, healing you before you take the damage?
2) Alternately, do you have to "decide" if you want to use the interrupt, before seeing the results or even the effect itself (making it a blind gamble)?
2) Can you use the Healing Tincture right after taking the damage (before the enemy's turn ends), essentially nullifying the damage taken, assuming it didn't KO you?

A similar question applies to interrupts in general - can you use them after seeing the full results (effect and rolls made) of an ability (which it would then alter/prevent), or do you have to decide on using the interrupt before the ability's features (before damage is rolled) are done, or if you don't know what the ability does initially?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:12 am

Zarhon wrote:
1) Can you use the Healing Tincture after you've seen the results of the ability/enemy rolls, and essentially make the free action count as an interrupt, healing you before you take the damage?
The Combat Handbook wrote:
Free Action - Free actions can be performed on any player’s or enemy’s turn at any time, at no cost. They can also be used in response to actions as though they were interrupts.
However, you can only use one free action, interrupt or reaction per trigger. So, if you have a free action ability and an interrupt ability that both trigger when an enemy deals damage to you - you can only choose one of those actions to trigger.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Doesn't answer the question on interrupts - interrupts go before the "attack resolves". Does that mean rolls, additional effects, descriptions, etc...? Some of the triggers (dealt damage, attacked) aren't clear in this regard or how they'd interact.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Zarhon wrote:Doesn't answer the question on interrupts - interrupts go before the "attack resolves". Does that mean rolls, additional effects, descriptions, etc...? Some of the triggers (dealt damage, attacked) aren't clear in this regard or how they'd interact.
 I'm not sure exactly what your question is, but Interrupts happen before the thing they're reacting to happens.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:12 am

I believe his question involves something like the following:

As the DM, I announce that Monster A on his turn is going to attack Player B. For whatever reason Zarhon is considering interrupting this attack, but perhaps he also wants to save his energy, so he'd like to see how much damage the attack will do before making a decision. His question, then, is "Can I wait until the damage for an attack has been rolled (and announced) before making the decision to interrupt it?"

I assume the answer is yes, but technically the rules don't state that.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:07 am

Personally I say if the answer is no... Interrupts lose all power they hold.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:13 am

Not to mention DM's in PBP tend to post the full action of the attack then give you time to reply
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Personally "The attack resolving" means when the damage is dealt to someone in my eyes, so you can choose to trigger an interrupt or reaction at any time. I may be mistaken.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Yes, you can activate the interrupt any time before the thing you're interrupting has finished resolving. So you can wait to use Misdirection until after you've seen how much damage you'll take.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:43 pm

Combat talents granted by traits and equipment can be used while you have a weapon conjured correct?
If so if I Use conjure staff of the stars while I have a weapon conjured what happens to the weapon I have conjured.
Traits for reference:

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:45 pm

You dismiss the other weapon to get the staff.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Doc pseudopolis wrote:Combat talents granted by traits and equipment can be used while you have a weapon conjured correct?
If so if I Use conjure staff of the stars while I have a weapon conjured what happens to the weapon I have conjured.
Traits for reference:
Technically, unless I missed something in the current wording, you should not be able to use combat talents you get from items/traits while using a conjured weapon. However, it's long been the intention that you CAN. We need clarifying terminology for 'basic' combat talents vs ones you get from items and traits.

So, you can play it either way you like. If it was in my own game, I'd house-rule that the player in question could use both weapons simultaneously - because that's just cool and probably still fair. If it gets broken, I'd change the ruling. However, it *is* breaking the letter of the law and having to juggle talents form two weapons is confusing - so that's not the 'official' ruling. DMs always have a license to break the rules in specific circumstances in the name of added fun.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagging Roots Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:11 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:We need clarifying terminology for 'basic' combat talents vs ones you get from items and traits.
Actually your post just happens to work into my question... I came to ask what a "Basic Combat Talent" is. It's only referenced in the Skype version of the combat talent list within the context of one Minor Utility.
Reference:

Last edited by Snagging Roots on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Snagging Roots
Snagging Roots
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:19 am

Great question, this will be fully defined in the combat-revamp that will hopefully get done over the winter break. But, to get ahead of the curve, basic combat talents are ones that don't come from traits or items.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagging Roots Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:29 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:basic combat talents are ones that don't come from traits or items.
How would this distinction apply to Dangerously Talented?
Reference:
Snagging Roots
Snagging Roots
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:33 am

That would be rewritten to talk about "basic" combat talents.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 30 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21 ... 30  Next