Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge (Part 4)

+2
A1C Bronymous
Ramsus
6 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge (Part 4) - Page 20 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge (Part 4)

Post  Broken Logic Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:39 am

Assisting Zthulan's persuasion
roll: 26 (12 +14persuasion )

Jeraylia lifted up her hood and flashed the conscious one a winning smile.
"We're here to help. How are they, Zthulan?" Jeraylia asked, keeping her voice low. "Can we get them down from there?"

Rolf might want to chime in if he thinks that's a bad idea.
Preemptive Heal check assist if you try it Azarune: 22 ( 13+9heal )
As usual, don't forget my successful assists add a +3.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Rolf identifies that the crystal indeed appears to 'draining' the bodies, living and otherwise, that are attached to it, keeping it both floating, glowing, and redirecting it's magical enemies elsewhere. The dessicated corpse most likely owes its condition to being 'completely drained'.

He also detects that there appears to be some other strong enchantment or spell present as well, though he cannot identify where or what kind.

Try as they might to calm him down, the cultist only starts panicking harder as Zthulan approaches, and starts whimpering desperately at Jeraylia's attempts at consolation.

Zthulan cannot identify him personally, but he appear to be a human, a cultist if his robe is any indication, as do the other robed figures. The un-robed one could be either or neither, as his dessicated state makes it difficult to tell. The panicking cultist is suffering multiple impalement wounds, a number of severe burns, and his tongue has been forcibly removed, which would explain his incomprehensible squealing.

Gonna need a heal check for a more 'medical' look at his wounds. Rolf can do another arcana/perception.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Taking a closer look at the wounds Zthulan does a quick assement on whether or not they can save him. "Before we can remove him form this device we're going to need to know if there is a form of alert system on it. Also if there will be a backlash that can cause harm to him or us."

Darnit Zarhon, I'm a Shaman not a doctor!: 3 + 13(Expert) = 16... Welp.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:18 am

"I'm working on it," Rolf said as he examined further. Part of him felt sorry for the poor souls. However, another part of him tried to rationalize that they were cultists, and if they felt that working for a crazed lich to take over and/or destroy a city was a worthwhile cause, then they sort of had it coming, now, didn't they?

Rolling Arcana...12(1d20) + 14 = 26
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:49 pm

A closer examination of the wounds under the robe reveals why the cultist appears to be panicking: In addition to his impalement wounds, there appears to be a small metallic orb "embedded" inside the man's torso, placed haphazardly and with obviously little regard for the man's life, as well as a number of runes of the evocation school of magic magic, bloodily carved into his skin, which are now glowing alarmingly bright.

Judging by these, and what appears to be a hissing sound from the orb, it is probably a safe assumption that both are about to cause harm and alertness to all involved parties.

Spoiler:
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:37 pm

Insert obvious star wars reference.
Acrobatics Check: 12 ( 4+8acrobatics )
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:08 am

Acrobatics for Zthulan: 13 (8 + 5)
For Koras: 15 (10 + 5)
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:25 am

None of the three are fast enough to gain distance from the orb, which explodes in a shockwave of magical force, mutilating the cultist, sending metallic fragments flying, and worst of all, propelling the jagged rods/spears that kept the cultist impaled outwards, as though fired from a ballista.

The crystal, though at the center of the impact, is merely cracked a bit, and gets pushed out of its holder onto the floor with a thud. It then de-powers, having it's "automated system" shredded by the deadly trap.

Roll another acrobatics (unless you're doing something else very quickly), and endurance, all.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:33 am

Acrobatics: 15 (9+6)
Endurance: 14 (7+7)

For Koras
Acro: 20 (15+5)
Endurance: 14(9+5)
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm doing marvelously:
Acrobatics: 14 ( 5+8 acro )
Endurance: 13 ( 4+8end )

Jeraylia doesn't notice the trap go off, paying greater attention to what might be happening outside, and is slow to react.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:01 pm

Rolf's eyes widened as he realized he was looking at a human bomb. "Bloody Zilean and his bloody bombs!" Rolf quickly tried casting his last charge of Spectral Battering ram at the crystal in the hopes it would make some distance between them and the explosion before desperately running for the exit.

Pre-explosion:
Acrobatics...9 (1d20) + 6 = 15
Rolling for Spectral Battering Ram...12 (1d20) + 20 = 32. No more uses left.

Post-explosion
Acrobatics...8 (1d20) + 6 = 14
Endurance...6 (1d20) + 6 = 12

Last edited by Lyntermas on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:30 pm

The Battering ram, in addition to smashing and cracking the crystal like it did before, punches the explosive backwards, causing most of the impaling rods, and some of the shrapnel, to be misdirected away.

Unfortunately, the focus on the spell leaves Rolf with little time for proper avoidance himself, causing one of the deadly rods/spears to strike him, embedding itself in the side of his chest.
Impalement:

The other two (and Koras), aided by Rolf's spell, easily avoid the remaining spears, but are still hit by some of the painful shrapnel, and knocked away a short distance by the blast-wave.
Shrapnel:

"SHOULD I STICK AROUND, OR IS EVERYONE DONE HERE NOW?"

"Monsieurs! What happened?", Zephyria's voice booms telepathically.

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm

"Gaaaahhh!" Rolf yelled as the rod hit him, sinking down to the ground. Granted, him smashing the crystal away had helped, but great gods that hurt!

Taking a few breaths to try and calm himself down, he tried contacting Zephyrina. "Apparently the back-up shield generator was powered by impaled cultists, one of which had a bomb attached. We're all alive, but we might be making our way to the sewers...Where are you exactly, by the way?"

Rolf looked down at the rod that was impaled in his chest. "Zthulan, Jeraylia, are you alright? I think I'll survive, but can you help stop the bleeding? We can try removing this once we get down into the sewers, but a little healing now would be appreciated." Rolf tried using his magic to thin down part of the rod so it could be snapped off, making it easier for him to move around (while leaving some out so the rod could eventually be pulled out).

Magical Tricks:
Rolling Arcana...11(1d20) + 14 = 25

Last edited by Lyntermas on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:51 pm

The explosion causes Jeraylia to turn away, feeling the pain of a dozen pieces of shrapnel digging into her skin.
"Pelor grant us mercy," Jeraylia swears, removing the arm shielding her eyes, and seeing Rolf impaled by a spear. She quickly moves over and pushes him gently, but unarguably, to sit down. She starts taking rolls of bandages out of her hip bag and shoves one into the mage's mouth, stating, "Bite down. Zthulan, how should we proceed?"

Heal Assist: 17 ( 8+9heal )

Last edited by Broken Logic on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 am

With a ringing skull Zthulan stumbles momentarily until full awareness returns.  Deciding to look away from the blast site, he rushes over to Rolf's side.
"I will need to do a ritual...  What you'll need to do is remove the spear, snapping the tip and pulling it out of the wound should be the easiest way."
With eyes closed and hands grasped together, Zthulan starts chanting in the language of the elements.  "Elements, I ask for you to heal my companion.  Allow me to use your strength as my own so I might restore the injuries he sustained."

For proper examination of the injury: 25 (12+13)
Storm, Earth, and Fire, heed my call!  Healing check: 31(10+13+5(FK: Rituals!)+3(Assist!))

Last edited by Azarune on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:47 am

Azarune wrote:For proper examination of the injury: 25 (12+13)
Storm, Earth, and Fire, heed my call!  Healing check: 28(10+13+5(FK: Rituals!))
I guess add my assist to the second one?
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Rolf manages to shorten down the rod and make it less jagged, so that it is less obstructive to his movement and doesn't cause further injury from removal.

Examining the injury, Zthulan can tell that a non-vital organ has been damaged, and that the rod is keeping the resultant hole "plugged". Removing the rod may cause the patient immediate painful shock and/or unconsciousness, and will almost certainly lead to them dangerously bleeding out, if the damage to the organ and the hole aren't swiftly magically mended, surgically repaired, or otherwise stabilized afterwards. He also notes that the rod may (if it already didn't) cause a posioning of the blood, which would be very difficult to cure without proper counteractive medicines, even with magic. The symptoms of such, a gradual weakening of the body, would be much slower to arrive than those of the wound, however.

Using a swift ritual, Zthulan heals the wound to the best of his ability, reducing the hole and damage, so that its "unplugged" segments cease bleeding, stabilizing him. He's unable to treat the parts the rod is obstructing, however, and the rod isn't fool-proof to prevent further bleeding.

Rolf isn't bleeding anymore and can act normally. Running or athletic/acrobatic effort will be painful, however.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:55 pm

Once she finishes bandaging around the spear remains to secure it, Jeraylia slips one of Rolf's arms over her shoulders and carefully helps him up.
"Zefy, tell Horizon we're finally ditching this joint, to the sewers and all that." To Rolf she says, "Many thanks for safeguarding us from the brunt of the trap. Your quick thinking impresses me every time. I've asked Zefy to notify Horizon about our departure. Let's hope he gets out alright."

You can spit out the bandage now, if you want.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:20 pm

"Indeed," mutters Zthulan, plucking some splinters from his body. "How shall we make our exit?"
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Rolf gives the bandages back to Jeraylia. "Well, you know, we're part of the elite adventuring group Scythe; quick thinking comes with the territory. Thank you both for the help, by the way. As for our exit, Horizon mentioned that there was a sewer manhole in the north-east corner. At the least, we can use it and find some other manhole away from the camp and head back to base. Or we can use it to get to the manhole near the south side of camp (near that shack where we all started). Then Skitter can use his portable hole to get us out, and we might be able to see whatever's arriving from the south."

"Jeraylia, could you use your sword to cut a hole on the east side of the tent? I'd prefer not to exit out the "regular" entrance while everyone's looking out for what happened over here."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:27 pm

"I wouldn't suggest using the sewer. Would you want whatever is in that water to seep into our wounds?"
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Can I make a random history/streetwise check to see if I know how the sewers are laid out, if they've got walkable paths sides down there for access, or if they're only just the simple pipes for drainage. So I know if I can comment on Zthulan's question somewhat.
History/Streetwise (both the same modifier) 21 ( 12+9hist/street )
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Jeraylia isn't sure, as she hasn't trudged through any sewers lately, but a city of this size probably does have walkways in the sewer system, for obvious reasons.

There appear to be some kind of noises going about, somewhere far outside the tent.

Roll perception.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:05 pm

PErception: 3+10 = 13
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:47 am

Perception: 22 ( 13+9perception )
Either way, I don't think we should stick around.

"In a city this size, the sewers should be fairly well built. They may have usable walkways. But in any case, we can't sit here and argue the pros and cons. It's currently our safest bet."
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next