Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zilean's Revenge (Part 5)

5 posters

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

Zilean's Revenge (Part 5) - Page 17 Empty Re: Zilean's Revenge (Part 5)

Post  Lyntermas Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:34 am

"It's rather unfortunate that such a vital piece of equipment didn't have enough security. Unless we go rouse up the other guard or get some other leads, we're a bit sunk. I'll see if I can think of a substitute we can use." Rolf tried to think back on his studies regarding magical energy sources and setting up magic mirrors.

Rolling Arcana for magic mirror usage and alternate power sources...19 (1d20) + 14 = 33
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:12 pm

The guard explains that the bathroom mirror is the largest in the manor, which is important because of magic reasons and the Archmage's insistence/advisal, is firmly attached to the wall of the bathroom, and is in a room where an 'accident' is least likely to cause everything to be on fire, explode, or both.

Rolf does not know of any immediately accessible substitutes for the crystal, barring manually channeling magic of his own, which whilst relatively simple is only helpful for him and limited.

A working substitute would likely be found in the magic shop he went 'grocery shopping' in earlier, and if the original crystal is found undamaged, it should be trivial to put it back in it's place.

Rolf needs to use up a Magic Point or x/day abilities to use the mirror. 'What you pay is what you get' as far as specifics go.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Deciding that his abilities would be more useful serving somewhere else.  However Zthulan gives the crime-scene a once-over in the case he might provide some insight.

Perception: 10 (Training) + 13 = 23
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:54 am

"Well, I can get it working for short periods by channeling some of my own magical energy into it, but that's less than optimal. So, we either have to procure a crystal from a magic shop while patrolling, or we figure out who stole the original crystal." He turned to the nearby guard. "I have a few questions, if you don't mind."

"1. Was access to this bathroom limited to staff members, or was anyone allowed to use it?
2. Do you know what time the mirror was discovered to be non-functional?
3. Can you tell us where the other guard guarding the bathroom is now? We may need to question him."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Zthulan makes an observation regarding the stolen item, and its replacement - it was roughly the size of a skull, with amorphous pointy bits. Difficult to 'pocket', if anything.

"Yeah, it was limited mostly to staff members, guards, and whoever actually had to talk to the Wizard. At least, for my shift. Dunno if the night-guy enforced it that way. He's either eating in the dining room or went to get some actual sleep with the other guys at the courtyard. Ask for Jimmy. As for the 'functionality', we noticed it was on the fritz this morning, when the Captain came in for a chat and stomped out swearing more than usual."

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:32 pm

"Well that's good. I think we should track down whoever took the crystal, rather than go find a new one." Horizon says, his usual dryness notable absent- nor does he sound characteristically bored. "That kind of stuff has a purpose- nobody took it thinking he'd get a few coins for it. It's either deliberate sabotage, or someone's planning on using it for something a little worse than a magic mirror." Horizon turns toward the door, about to head out, before stopping. "Two questions before I go. Are there any windows in the bathroom?" He asks the guard, and then turns to Zthulan. "And Jimmy, was that the name of the guy you ultra-spirit-healed? Sounds familiar..."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:42 am

"I think investigating this theft is a good idea as well. If someone's willing to disable a vital function of our operations, either for profit or from collaboration with the enemy, it's better to find them sooner rather than later." Rolf thought a moment. "I believe Zthulan's patient was named Johnny, I spoke with him a bit in the mess hall. Jimmy's probably some other guard." He turned to the nearby guard. "What does Jimmy look like? I'd hate to wake up every guard in the courtyard if we have to go looking for him."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:50 am

"Yes his name was Jimmy Johnny if I recall.  I was more focused on healing his body at that moment.  If you're going to investigate another guard, perhaps I should join?  We can pretend that the reason we are looking for him is a check-up. Surely what the spirits did with Johnny has spread so perhaps they would assume I will do another attemp? That could prevent the panic that our communications would bring if announced."

[[OCC: Edited because I can't seem to remember names at all.]]

Last edited by Azarune on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:46 am

Jeraylia's eyebrows lift in surprise at Horizon's attitude. Was that possibly... positivity? Surely not. Regarding the matter of Jimmy, "Yes, let us converse with the peoples. With utmost secrecy, we shall extract their knowledge for the betterment of others. Also, maybe a quick pitstop would be worth taking. Preferably in a room without a wizard's view."

Just for info, how hard would it be to find a crystal that size? Streetwise check?
Window Shopping Knowledge: 25 ( 16 + 9streetwise )
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:18 am

"Just look for the half-elf with a mustache and goatee. Can't miss him."

A quick glance lets Horizon confirm the bathroom has no windows, giving it more privacy and explosion-safety than most.

Jeraylia's innate womanly expertise in appraising shiny & valuable things lets her know that a crystal of any size larger than one's thumb would be difficult to find outside of a specialty jewel/magic shop or within a mine-shaft, excluding fakes and ornaments made of glass. Availability and price further vary if it was cut/polished, is magical/used for magic, or a rare/precious kind of mineral.

Jimmy is not Johhny.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:42 pm

Horizon makes his way out of the room in search of the mysterious Jimmy. Once he has the others out of earshot of the office, he asks aloud. "Do we think Jimmy might be involved, or no?"
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:47 am

"Well, at this point, we don't know. If we're lucky, Jimmy can remember an obvious suspect who would be able to carry out an oddly-shaped crystal from the bathroom. Otherwise, our primary suspects are the two guards and the servants, which doesn't bode well. I say we find Jimmy and hear out his story before jumping to conclusions."
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:04 am

Rolf decided to start looking for Jimmy in the courtyard where the guards were sleeping. Hopefully a half-elf with a mustache and goatee would be easy to spot.

Rolling Perception... 11 (1d20) + 7 = 18.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:18 pm

The courtyard is, as expected, bustling with activity, though things are much less grim and chaotic. Before, people were packed for lack of space, and there were lots of wounded and panic and fear, but it seems the morning sun, extra 'space' that came with the garrison being 'extended', and lack of immediate medical emergencies/invading armies brought some reprieve on the whole mess. It's still, in essence, an awful mess, but a smaller one.

Rolf sees a few people similar to Jimmy, but the stand-out description and knowledge of what a guard is supposed to look like lets him find a sleeping Jimmy fairly easily. He, along with a few other guards, is sleeping in a bedroll within a makeshift 'barracks' of a tent.

If your characters are moving places, say so and assume they did.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Horizon had little else to do today, so he followed Rolf to the courtyard to find Jimmy, though splits from him as soon as they arrive- meaning that he does not enter the tent, and therefor does not find the right guy. Instead, he sets about collecting everyone who looks like they might fit the description. "You, come with me.... hey you, come with me... you too... all of you guys come with me..."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:11 am

Rolf tried to quietly move up next to Jimmy's bedroll and started gently shaking his shoulder. "Jimmy? I'm sorry to disturb you, but there's been a major theft last night, and we need to ask you a few questions."

Rolling Persuasion to get Jimmy to wake up...10 (1d20) + 10 = 20.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:19 am

"Hrmf.", the clearly sleep-deprived and now annoyed man answers. "Hm? Theft? Well, what'cha you need me for? I was guarding a bathroom. What was stolen, one of those fancy bars of soap?"

Meanwhile, Horizon, with some know-how on "looking important and in charge whilst barking orders", managed to round a bunch of people, with various traits of having pointy ears, facial hair, or looking like a guard, into a semi-military-like line.

None of them, however, fit all of Jimmy's described traits. They're all starting to get curious/inquisitive as to why they've been rounded up, and why the armored intimidating man is being intimidating at them.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:48 am

Zarhon wrote:"Hrmf.", the clearly sleep-deprived and now annoyed man answers. "Hm? Theft? Well, what'cha you need me for? I was guarding a bathroom. What was stolen, one of those fancy bars of soap?"

"Not quite. The reason you were guarding the bathroom was because the mirror was used to communicate with Master Bartholomew, a powerful wizard who has been assisting with this invasion and is able to contact the wizards at the Magic Acadamy. The mirror was powered by two rather large crystals, which have been stolen and replaced by fakes. Without those crystals, we lose access to a powerful resource in the fight against Zilean."

"Now, last night, did you notice anybody other than the regular staff enter the bathroom? And did you notice anyone bringing anything they could use to smuggle the gems out with? Burlap sack, cleaning cart, poofy dress, oversized hat?"
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:35 pm

Unsure of how he can still be of help, Zthulan awkwardly trails behind the others. Taking note of Horizon splitting off he follows Rolf to Jimmy.
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:49 pm

The guard loses some of his attitude and replaces it with mild worry or panic. "What? Crud. Alright. Hm. Lemme think. Stuff was boring for a while... One of the maids needed it for her mop... Some little kid had to 'go' real bad, didn't see an issue... Same with one of me chums, think the rationing didn't settle well with him, boy was he loud, ugh. A nurse needed some towels and stuff, seemed urgent... And last was the Captain but I was kinda swapping the shifts by then.", the guard explain, as eloquently as his obvious sleep deprivation allows. "Dunno how they'd smuggle much except the nurse and maid with their dresses?", he adds, confused with himself.

Meanwhile, Zthulan manages to grab the attention of one the medical tent staff, a gnomish lady. She waddles up to him cheerfully. "Hey, it's the dragon-doc! You did some good work yesterday, not to mention the super-solider stunt. Think you can try doing that kind of stuff some more? The other patients kind of have their hopes up for more tiny miracles since the rumors got going round'. Especially the ones that went off worse than Johnny.", she states in an entirely too short of a time-span.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:12 am

Horizon looks at the assembled group- and quickly realizes none of them are who he was looking for. Rather than admit any mistake, he thinks about it briefly, and then addresses them. "Alright, now all of you are aware of the dire situation we're in. Correct? We, as a town, are fighting for our collective lives, not to mention our property. We are fighting against a collective evil force. Outsiders. Not of us. Which means we have to stand together, right?" He allows a brief moment- approximately 2 seconds- of discussion, and then continues. "Which means, we have to stand together. We have to trust our neighbors as though they're family, we have to trust that we are all working together to survive, to win, and to go on with our lives. But, as some recent events have shown, sometimes we can't. Whether its deliberate sabotage, or simple ignorant greed, someone has betrayed the trust of this entire host, and put everyone's lives in jeopardy." Another pause, a little longer this time. "I'm not saying it was any of you- though, I'm not saying it wasn't, I suppose. Rest assured, we will find out who did it. But, I gathered this little group, because I don't believe our guards, hassled as they are with putting their lives on the line to defend the rest of us, need more simple troubles to worry about. So, in that case, I'm going to commission you all as deputies. I want you to find yourselves directly responsible for the well being of our people, our warfighting capability, and our personal properties and luxuries. Watch. Listen. I want you to report on anyone and everyone who seeks, whether through malevolence or ignorance, to weaken our cause. Is that understood?"

"Oh, and so you're aware, this is non-negotiable. If you refuse I'm bringing you in to be interrogated for your potential involvement in the earlier theft. So, I would just go with it."
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:50 pm

Most of the assembled were a bit dubiously expressed when Horizon started his speech. A few seemed worried as it continued. All of them were certainly worried when the last sentence was said. A few seem to silently-if-reluctantly agree, but as one would expect, a few still pipe up their concerns:
"But I'm just a baker!", one of the 'assembled' men replies meekly.
"I already have other orders and duties from the captain!", answers one of the actual guards, to which a few other guards mumble and agree with. "Is this coming directly from him or what?"
"Are we getting paid anything to do this?", a rather disheveled and unshaven raggedy man asks.

Horizon can do a streetwise or perception roll. Also, rest of you can probably assume you can witness Horizon do this stuff since he's not being subtle.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyntermas Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:09 am

"Well, that limits the number of suspects...with the Captain being the one to discover that the mirror wasn't working, it's probably one of those four. I don't suppose you can recall any further details of any of them?" Rolf knew that it was unlikely that Jimmy had paid too much attention at the time, or that his sleep-deprived mind could recall anything now, but every bit would help.
Lyntermas
Lyntermas
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:26 am

"Hmm..." Horizon thinks for a moment on their questions. "Apologies, I think I've misconstrued what it is I'm asking you all to do. We're not asking you to take on any additional duties, short of watching each other- er, watching out for each other, I should say, and keeping an eye out for any aforementioned subversive acts, as well as coming forward with any information. You can," he says, addressing the specific persons who spoke up, "consider this to be coming down directly from the highest authority, and we will look into reward or reimbursement for any viable, helpful information. Of course, preventing any sabotage directly is also to be commended."

Streetwise: 12+10=22
Persuasion (If that's separate): 7+12=19
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Azarune Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:22 pm

Zthulan's face scrunches up in confusion on the lady's approach before his whole demeanor lightens up. Finally a way he can help! "Of course I'll be happy to help. Though I can't guarantee what I accomplished last time will happen again."
Azarune
Azarune
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 23 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next