Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+35
Pingcode
Lyntermas
Lifeforce
Fury of the Tempest
Yawnmon
Z2
Azureink
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
A1C Bronymous
Kindulas
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Grey Pen The Flawed
Videocrazy
Hayatecooper
The Warrior of Many Faces
Cardbo
Caden2112
Philadelphus
Whiteeyes
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Appkes
SilentBelle
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
Zarhon
AProcrastinatingWriter
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
39 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Nehiel Mori Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Its a free action so you can use it to pay for reactions and interrupts if you'd like. We don't really have a problem if you use it right before regen kicks in because the regen is going to happen anyways. Using it right before regen makes the player feel smart sure, and gives a slight degree of safety in-case they get bursted down, but its certainly not a problem. Its extra utility is why it got a slight price hike as well.

Free actions can be made whenever people want, even during other turns. My problem with the original version of the Knife I made was that you couldn't use it on reactions and interrupts when the whole goal is for the knife to let you pay life to cast -3 and lower negative pip moves. With this version you can pay your life then use your interrupt or reaction.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 14 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:52 pm

That's a very good justifaction for it being a free action. Didn't think at all of using it to pay for reactions and interrupts as well. It's a very nice idea. I fully support it. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:43 pm

...That knife was right above me the whole time, and I didn't even notice it, did I?
*facepalm*
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:52 pm

sunbeam wrote:...That knife was right above me the whole time, and I didn't even notice it, did I?
*facepalm*
No clearly it was already stabbed into your back is why you didn't see it. Razz
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:
sunbeam wrote:...That knife was right above me the whole time, and I didn't even notice it, did I?
*facepalm*
No clearly it was already stabbed into your back is why you didn't see it. Razz

Please, you stab it through your palm or slash your wrists Razz

Not like Dragon Age 2, where you shove a staff through your chest do to it. What the hell.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Oh, about Boomstick...

Boomstick - 2000 Gold
Trinket
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.

[0] This is my Boomstick! - Interrupt Utility
Trigger - You make an attack that targets a single creature.
Effect - You may target up to three creatures with that attack.

Gramatically, Crescendo targets a single creature. However it does more than that. An attack that says, "deal 2 damage to up to 2 different creatures" also would check the box of targeting at least one creature. However, Crescendo does not JUST target a single creature. It does more than that, it can target multiple creatures according to the rules.

So gramatically, Crescendo does check the box. However, rules-wise it does not.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Ah, that makes sense (about the Knife, though I'll agree to a lack of Crescendo madness too).
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:22 pm

*facepalm*
Nehiel's Knife of Damocles?

Edit: Also, an actual serious question: can you ready two (or more) utility talents at the same time? For instance, say you're in a situation where you'd like to prep both Advanced Ponykinesis (1 minute prep time) and Teleport (30 seconds prep time) depending on some future, currently unknown outcome. Can you do that? (Perhaps with the restriction that you can ready any number of talents, but you can only use one of them at a time, the others have to go through their normal prep time? [Or to use a quantum mechanical analogy, can you have a superposition state of utility talents prepared that collapses down to whichever one you actually use, requiring additional ones to go through the prep-time process again?])

Also, can you ready a utility talent and hold it? Like if you want to prepare Teleport, but don't know exactly when you're going to want to use it, so you want to have it ready for whenever it's needed.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:38 am

Philadelphus wrote:
*facepalm*
Nehiel's Knife of Damocles?

Edit: Also, an actual serious question: can you ready two (or more) utility talents at the same time? For instance, say you're in a situation where you'd like to prep both Advanced Ponykinesis (1 minute prep time) and Teleport (30 seconds prep time) depending on some future, currently unknown outcome. Can you do that? (Perhaps with the restriction that you can ready any number of talents, but you can only use one of them at a time, the others have to go through their normal prep time? [Or to use a quantum mechanical analogy, can you have a superposition state of utility talents prepared that collapses down to whichever one you actually use, requiring additional ones to go through the prep-time process again?])

Also, can you ready a utility talent and hold it? Like if you want to prepare Teleport, but don't know exactly when you're going to want to use it, so you want to have it ready for whenever it's needed.

I'd think that would mainly be for the DM to decide. I know I'd let a player ready a spell, after all it's fun when players plan things out like that. It could even be turned into a skill challenge. Perhaps an endurance check or perception to stay focused while handling more than one spell. Fun times Very Happy
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:50 am

No, prep time basically just means, "Casting time" but in a non-flavor way. It has to be prepped for pretty much immediate use after the end of the prep time. However, DMs can give a lot of leeway for extra good plans or extraordinary circumstances.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:29 am

So... Dan... positive feedback on my Knife change... does this mean its in?
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:33 am

Yes. Yes it does. santa
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Yes. Yes it does. santa

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

cheers
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Whiteeyes Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:39 am

Several members on this board (including me) have made some alternate Element lists out of a desire for more variety. Any chance these could (with some official critique/rebalance as needed) be made into a supplement?
Whiteeyes
Whiteeyes
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:43 am

Definitely, especially for living legends (Which already has some additional 'virtues' as we call them there). Ask Nehiel Mori or Kindulas to go over the suggestion.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Videocrazy Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 am

Why did you change the cost the Ritual Knife? I'm going to have to cut something from my equipment now.
Videocrazy
Videocrazy
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:27 am

Added utility. You can now use it to help ramp things greater then -3 because it gives pips instead of letting you do the action for free.

Dan wasn't exactly keen on that, so the slight price hike made him happier. It technically got buffed (though I'd prefer to say closer in line with the original vision).
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:46 pm

So, copying things with Cremate. It just spreads the effect, so it doesn't multitrigger things like Payday, right?
Of course, rolling single or separate damage for AoE is up to the DM, isn't it? So, if you roll a singe set of damage, the PiPs don't trigger for each target since you aren't repeating the attack, just adding targets, right?
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 pm

You know Nehiel, I'm actually fine with it being 2k. The Ritual Knife can cost less again. =)

And yes Kindulas, you're correct. At least, assuming I'm understanding your question correctly. You don't roll again for effects like Cremate.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Just making sure, but Conjuration of the same type can be summoned more then once right? That's why we don't got +pip summons yet because of that fact that they can summon endless of that type and stuff.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Absolutely. sunny
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:53 pm

So, why are the non-attack combat talents called utilities? Or the combat talents called talents in the first place? It seems needlessly allowing confusion.

Perhaps give it a more appropriate term, like Combat Techniques, and Maneuvers.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Agreed on the unnecessary confusion. It's the standard in 4e terminology so we just pulled it over to us, as we were used to 4e. I like the suggestion of 'technique' for the replacement of utility, but would want to keep 'attack' as-is.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:55 pm

That is very much explained in the detail for Utiltiy itself:

Utility - A type of combat talent that is not an attack. It’s usually used for passive effects like healing allies. However, it’s sometimes put on clearly offense-oriented combat talents - which lets you get around effects like being Blinded very nicely. All combat talents are either Attacks or Utilities.

Edit: Do really much like the idea of changing "Combat Utility" Into something else though. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:58 pm

Oh, I wasn't suggesting changing attack. Just Combat Talent and Utility. That way you would have Talents, which are your Utility Talents, and Techniques (or Maneuvers) which would be your Combat Talents. And the Techniques (or Maneuvers) would be broken up between Attacks and Maneuvers (or Techniques).
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next