Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+35
Pingcode
Lyntermas
Lifeforce
Fury of the Tempest
Yawnmon
Z2
Azureink
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
A1C Bronymous
Kindulas
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Grey Pen The Flawed
Videocrazy
Hayatecooper
The Warrior of Many Faces
Cardbo
Caden2112
Philadelphus
Whiteeyes
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Appkes
SilentBelle
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
Zarhon
AProcrastinatingWriter
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
39 posters

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 15 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:02 pm

This is a nice terminology change, but I don't really like the 'maneuver' thing any more than 'combat utility'.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 15 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  thematthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:07 pm

The only reason I suggest these term changes is because when you level up you gain a Utility Talent.

Which some people can easily mistakenly think that they can get a Combat Talent that is a Utility. Since it meets both statements of being Utility and Talent.

Also if Maneuver doesn't tickle your fancy how do Trick, Gambit, Gimmick, Scheme, Ploy, Exploit, or Knack sound?
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:09 pm

I personally like the sound of Combat Trick. XD
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Agreed that changing will limit confusion, which I'm all for... But still am not sold on any of the options for combat utility to change. We could call them techniques, but then we need a new name for 'combat talent'.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Well, give me a little more time with my Thesaurus.

Ooh, hows about Edge?
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Edge? For a combat talent? If we're going that far out, why not call it a, "Power"?

Last edited by Stairc -Dan Felder on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Yeah Combat Edge, or Just Edge depending on which sounds better.

Or Tactic or perhaps Style.

Edit: Oh, did you check out my 4 designs for Smash and Grab style pip stealing shenanigans?

Last edited by thematthew on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Still think that "Power" or maybe something like "Ability" sounds better than Edge. Tactic's okay but it's more strategic than capability.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:27 pm

I kinda like the idea of your pool of combat powers being your Style.

I mean, power or ability work fine, they just seem... a little sub-par compared to a lot of the other options.

I'd see Tactic being the name for the whole group of powers. Then you'd have Attacks and Techniques as subtypes of that.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Saying, "You gain 5 styles" just doesn't ring. Neither does, "You gain 5 combat styles" and that implies there are other types of styles too... Really not liking that.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:32 pm

True. I was saying as a overarcing term.

'Your pony has a combat style developed of 8 Tactics that you select at character creation. You can only have 5 tactics prepared at a time, but can change your prepared ones with an extended rest.'

You know, that kind of thing.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm fine with it for an overall theme. Still think 'tactics' is a bit too strategic for what we're looking for though. Love the sound of the word of course.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:47 pm

So now, what happens when I use Where it Hurts with a multi-target attack?

Do I have to use it for each target, does it affect all things that have (save ends) effects, or does it just hit everything?
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:45 pm

Could this talent be changed a little:
[+3] Sanctity of Faith - Standard Utility
You gain regeneration 2 (save ends).[*]

Maybe into something like this:

[+3] Sanctity of Faith - Standard Utility
You gain at the start of your next turn regeneration 2 (save ends).

Or would that be a bit OP?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Oh no, the fact that you might save against it immediately is what keeps it fair.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:Oh no, the fact that you might save against it immediately is what keeps it fair.
Ah... Just wanted to find out if that was the case...
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 pm

[+3] Take Aim - Standard Utility
You may reroll all 1s on your next attack.

Can this talent stack with itself / have a repeated use effect? Does using it twice in a row give your next two attack nat1's a reroll, or just one (essentially making your 2nd use do nothing and having you skip a turn)?

I'm a bit confused as to how would one justify taking this talent (especially taking it as one of your "main" PiP boosters, if the above stacking isn't valid) for anything other than very specialized builds (like comboing it with daggerstorm, which seems to be its current best use)... The talent relies on being combo'd with other talents, but is limited to attacks only, which cuts half of the talents out of the question, while its mechanic becomes outright useless if you have the "Unacceptable!" trait, which does its function and more... And if you don't roll a nat1 on the attacks in question while under its effect, you actually gain no benefit during the fight and more or less skip your turns for PiPs...

I think the talent needs an extra function besides the single nat1 attack reroll, so it doesn't punish/invalidate using it in sequence or as a "main" PiP booster, and so that having "Unacceptable!" as a trait doesn't make it useless. Maybe something like this?

Take Aim variant A:

This would allow it to be used at least twice in a row, as a PiP booster (and actively encourage it, even!), and give it more combo uses overall.

Alternately...

Take Aim variant B:

...Which gives it a party-wide utility and lets its user retain a combat benefit (provided to allies) from the talent, even if they have the unacceptable! trait.

Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Azureink Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:55 pm

No, you do not get two rerolls. It just says you reroll all 1s. If you keep rolling 1s, then you keep rerolling until you do not have a 1. Regardless of how many times you use Take Aim.
Azureink
Azureink
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 pm

What he means is "does using it twice apply its affect to the attack after my next one as well," not "would it let me reroll it again"
The way it is stated, it does not
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 am

Okay, here's a simply question:
Are there plans for utility items?
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 am

Yeah last I heard there was talk of them... And that they were coming. You trying to just hammer out the issues or something?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 am

Xel Unknown wrote:Yeah last I heard there was talk of them... And that they were coming. You trying to just hammer out the issues or something?

Well, we're thinking of a crafting system... More to the point I'm considering the ramifications of trying to tie the combat and non-combat halves of ponytales together through this system... specifically this thread.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:35 am

Nehiel Mori has developed a whole rough draft of the utility item system. As Nehiel was one of the primary architects behind the Talent Show expansion (besides what was contributed by forum members) and the Book of Fate expansion for destinies - you should have a basic idea of his work. He can answer questions on it.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:03 am

Question? For me! Oh goody!

The pricing is off buuut

Arcanic Screwdriver-3000 gold
You gain a +3 bonus to mechanics checks and may make mechanic’s checks at range.
“Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks, Oh, this needs to be more Arcanic!”
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:07 am

Probably Brash Landing, to answer your rhetorical quote question.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27 ... 40  Next