Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+35
Pingcode
Lyntermas
Lifeforce
Fury of the Tempest
Yawnmon
Z2
Azureink
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
A1C Bronymous
Kindulas
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Grey Pen The Flawed
Videocrazy
Hayatecooper
The Warrior of Many Faces
Cardbo
Caden2112
Philadelphus
Whiteeyes
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Appkes
SilentBelle
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
Zarhon
AProcrastinatingWriter
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
39 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  tygerburningbright Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:15 pm

How would spectral battering ram work against something that has the Mechanical race trait?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 18 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:20 pm

This requires an existential ruling by your DM. How your DM and gameworld defines 'life' is a biggy here. It could easily go either way.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:35 pm

I have a question about Monster Danger Ratings.

It's supposed to be the number of level 1, 3000-bit-equipped players it takes to challenge this thing and expect to win, right?

How do I determine the Danger Rating of a party that doesn't consist entirely of level 1, 3000-bit-equipped players? Suppose some are higher leveled than others, and therefore have some combat traits? Or maybe one scored some extra bits and bought an extra trinket or a more expensive weapon? How do I adjust the danger level accordingly?

Or am I fixating needlessly?
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:49 pm

err Grey you do realize that monster ratings are a thing that only Silentbelle understands because he came up with them.
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:48 pm

Grey Pen wrote:I have a question about Monster Danger Ratings.

It's supposed to be the number of level 1, 3000-bit-equipped players it takes to challenge this thing and expect to win, right?

How do I determine the Danger Rating of a party that doesn't consist entirely of level 1, 3000-bit-equipped players? Suppose some are higher leveled than others, and therefore have some combat traits? Or maybe one scored some extra bits and bought an extra trinket or a more expensive weapon? How do I adjust the danger level accordingly?

Well, I'd say equipment adjusts the danger rating by about .25 per character or there about. As a rough estimate maybe determine it as such.

5 characters with full equipment (3000 bits each, 15000 total) = Danger rating 5
5 characters with no equipment = Danger rating 3.75
So basically that's about .1 of a danger rating per 1200 bits
So for every 1200 bits missing from the recommended sum of money, lower the danger rating by 0.1
Of course certain monsters will be much better against certain player compositions, and I'd highly recommend erring on the side of caution when choosing your first monster. But I think as a general guideline, 1200 Bits / 0.1 Danger Rating, is a good enough baseline for adjustment.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Grey Pen wrote:I have a question about Monster Danger Ratings.

Yep, these are Silentbelle's things so I'd trust his answers.

However, I would reccomend that you don't have a character filled with party members of varying levels. In fact, this is pretty hard to do with the system; considering that the group's levels key off the group's harmony - people don't gain harmony individually.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:46 pm

A True Shifter Changeling get's the Racial stats from the race they're appearing as, right? So a chageling that's being a unicorn get's an extra utility talent?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Caden2112 Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:49 pm

To be honest, I'm curious about that too, because that would technically mean they get the benefit of a cutie mark while posing as a pony of any kind. O_o I assumed it was more for things like a griffon's half-lion roaring ability and the like.
Caden2112
Caden2112
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Yes. The talent will go away when you transform again.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:52 pm

That means we get cutie marks too... That awesome. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Absolutely. santa
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:28 pm

When will the main three pony races get updated to have the Gentic Engen rules?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Well, they already have been updated. But Kindulas is working on a revamp for the Genetic Engineering system at the moment - bringing things to 8 points.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Yay! Can't wait for that update to an 8 point system. It's been something I've been waiting so long for!
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Xel Unknown wrote:Yay! Can't wait for that update to an 8 point system. It's been something I've been waiting so long for!

Genetic Engineering didn't come out that long ago...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Hey, I've been waiting on pins and netels since the whole 8 point system was suggested for it to come out. :3
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:12 am

Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:43 am

Is the Ruitral Knife in the Google Doc going to be fully edited Into that so OP free action for HP to pips thing that was posted somewhere in either the Question topic or somewhere?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:07 am

How should one handle Heal Checks for post-combat healing?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:17 am

Players automatically heal after one hour of rest. Otherwise, their HP stays the same without special circumstances. Heal checks are used to get read of particular things, like poision, curses or diseases - or to set a broken bone. They don't affect HP directly.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 am

While that's all fine and good in theory, you could have two fights one after another... Or you never know when you get an one hour rest time or something.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 am

Xel Unknown wrote:While that's all fine and good in theory, you could have two fights one after another... Or you never know when you get an one hour rest time or something.

That's kind of the point actually. Sometimes players are supposed to go through multiple fights without a real chance to rest and have to be cautious if they're still hurting from their last battle. This mechanic allows DMs to run multi-battle marathons broken up by story instead of just one long battle. More freedom for DMs. You can also introduce potions that fully heal the players, rest areas that work like pokemon centers for the players and similar if you want the players to heal between battles in a fast-paced multi-battle area.

Or, if it's really not working for you, you can just make a quick rules change that players fully heal after battle (perhaps with a skill check depending on how hard you want to make it). May I suggest adapting D&D 4e's healing surges? That's a great mechanic and I've thought about including it in the official system.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:31 am

Explain this mechanic... I know not of D&D and don't trust my skills to read it and understand. But I do trust you to be able to explain in a way for me to understand it.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:35 am

Sure thing.

Basically, a player has a certain amount of healing surges a day. These represent a player's ability to recover after battle, but not limitlessly.

Players can take a 5 minute rest to spend any number of their healing surges. Each player begins the day with a certain number of healing surges and each healing surge is worth 1/4 of their total HP (rounded down)... So spending 4 healing surges would bump you back to full health.

Of course, 4e doesn't let you recover healing surges until the next extended rest (which basically means, the next day) - a 1 hour rest doesn't let you refill your hp.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:46 am

I just make the players fully heal after their battles, since usually at least one player has healing abilities in combat. However if someone gets knocked comatose, that's where I send in the heal checks and such.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next