Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+35
Pingcode
Lyntermas
Lifeforce
Fury of the Tempest
Yawnmon
Z2
Azureink
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
A1C Bronymous
Kindulas
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Grey Pen The Flawed
Videocrazy
Hayatecooper
The Warrior of Many Faces
Cardbo
Caden2112
Philadelphus
Whiteeyes
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Appkes
SilentBelle
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
Zarhon
AProcrastinatingWriter
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
39 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 29 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  tygerburningbright Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Why does weather crafter have two diffrent times?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 29 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Yawnmon Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:55 am

Couldn't find it in the conversation about initiative so I guess I'll just ask. If someone uses -

[+3] Quicken - Standard Utility
Move ahead one place in the initiative order.

While they're first in the initiative order, what happens? Do they get to take another turn at the bottom of the initiative of the same turn or are you forced to fizzle it if you want to use it for the pips?
Yawnmon
Yawnmon
Very Special Somepony
Very Special Somepony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:36 am

Fizzles.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Lifeforce Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:03 am

tygerburningbright wrote:Why does weather crafter have two diffrent times?
I'm fairly sure there's an error somewhere in the book here - I don't see any reason why pegasi would have a prep time of 10 minutes while everypony else only has a prep time of 5. The trait in the Genetic Engineering book in turn makes no reference to getting a slower version of Weather-Crafter.

Based on that, I would say it should either be 5 in all cases or 10 in all cases. Personally, I'd learn towards 5, since it's what's written in the talent section.

Lifeforce
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:22 am

Lifeforce wrote:
tygerburningbright wrote:Why does weather crafter have two diffrent times?
I'm fairly sure there's an error somewhere in the book here - I don't see any reason why pegasi would have a prep time of 10 minutes while everypony else only has a prep time of 5. The trait in the Genetic Engineering book in turn makes no reference to getting a slower version of Weather-Crafter.

Based on that, I would say it should either be 5 in all cases or 10 in all cases. Personally, I'd learn towards 5, since it's what's written in the talent section.

I imagine it's a remnant of the older system. Back when they wanted to make certain that they couldn't use utility talents in combat, so almost all talents had pretty good prep times.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 pm

So, what actually happens if I have Derpy's Lightning and roll multiple 12s with the first one summoning a weapon? Do my other 12s pull from my weapon moves, or do they still pull from my original moves and do the moves happen in an order or at the same time?
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:20 pm

thematthew wrote:So, what actually happens if I have Derpy's Lightning and roll multiple 12s with the first one summoning a weapon? Do my other 12s pull from my weapon moves, or do they still pull from my original moves and do the moves happen in an order or at the same time?

The special triggers the moment you roll a 12, interrupting the rest of the move and making it sit back and wait while the special is resolved (specials are pretty much the only things that do this). So if you deal 5d12 damage to a target as part of a talent and you roll five 12s, you resolve each of those specials at a time before the 5d12 damage itself actually happens. You choose which die's result to resolve at a time (this only is a meaningful choice if you triggered multiple specials at a time with different effects, like when you roll a 12 and a 1 with King of Fools as a trait). So you pick a 12 to resolve, roll and get something that isn't a weapon talent activation. That thing happens. Then you pick another special trigger to resolve (another of your 12s) and you get your summon weapon. Boom! Now you have a weapon. From here on out you WILL trigger your cool conjured-weapon combat talent abilities rather than your normal ones.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Alright, thanks.

Derpy's Lightning should still be reworded to say available talents, not talents you brought into combat.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Not perfectly sure how to make sure it's clear that trait and item talents don't count then besides the awkward, "non-trait, non-item combat talents".

In fact, it might be better to just rule that the weapon talents don't work with derpy's lightning in this way then, because while we'd like them to - it might be more elegant if they don't. I'd like to find a way around that though.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:34 pm

One build that I wanted to put together was dependent on Derpy's Lightning being able to pull out a different weapon each time it triggers. It also prevents the weapon from accidently unsummoning itself, which is nice.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Are special moves considered attacks, utilities, both, or neither, for the purpose of attack damage/attack roll affecting abilities (like meditate), or for purpose of triggering reactions and interrupts?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Right now they're neither. That might change at some point.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 am

If you are allowed training in another skill (after creation) can you stack the training? For example, if you use the Dynamic Duo destiny, at level 7 you take training in a skill your partner has. If you have the same trained skills, though, do you get to stack the training, or do you both have to plan ahead and get training in different skills beforehand?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 am

You can never train an already-trained skill. Skills are either trained or untrained.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:03 am

So then, having two Party members use Dyanmic Duo, to effectively Quadruple the effect, would then be a colossal waste.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:08 am

Yes, assuming they were each other's DD instead of DD1 being partners with DD2 who is partners with person 3.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:11 am

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea. but that would mean DD2 gets twice the effects as the others. but if in fact 3rd guy is actually DD3, then a love triangle of training occurs....
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:43 pm

Well, if it's a pair with DD...

DD1 is trained in Stunts and Endurance
DD2 is trained in Persuasion and Arcana.

At lv 7 DD1 becomes trained in Persuasion from his own, and Arcana from his partner's Destiny, and DD2 becomes trained in Stunts from his own and Endurance from his partner's.

As long as they don't overlap Trainings, then a pair with DD can get 4 trainings.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Level 10, each of them then retakes the level 7, so thats another two trainings, each.

Thats odd, how did I get 8 each before...
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:17 am

Some questions I came up with while making a new character:

1. For Gather Energy, do you get only two standard actions on your next turn, or two standard actions and a minor?

2. Does Explosive Arrow count as a single-target attack (i.e., could you use it with Boomstick)?
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:36 am

1) 2 standard actions and a minor (in the board version, a move and a minor)

2) Need to read up on it. in-game.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:43 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:1) 2 standard actions and a minor (in the board version, a move and a minor)
Sweet.
Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:2) Need to read up on it. in-game.
The description for Explosive Arrow is:
[-3] Explosive Arrow - Standard Attack
Deal 1d8 damage to target creature. At the beginning of that creature’s next turn, it and all creatures adjacent to it take 1d10 damage and are dazed (save ends).
What I'd like to know is, can you use Boomstick to apply it to three adjacent creatures such that the next turn the central one takes 3d10 damage, the ones adjacent to it take 2d10, and any adjacent to them take 1d10? I suspect the answer is "no", but it was too tempting not to try.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Boomstick does work on single-target attacks. It's absolutely legal. One of those things that doesn't translate perfectly from the board version, so hasn't been fully playtested yet. Absolutely rules-legal though. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  elfowlgirl Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Forgive me if I missed something, but in the Art of War, for "Implant Parasite", it says that 'Target creature is subjected to your “Parasite” (save ends)', although it doesn't specify what "Parasite" is?
elfowlgirl
elfowlgirl
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://elfowlgirl.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:54 pm

elfowlgirl wrote:Forgive me if I missed something, but in the Art of War, for "Implant Parasite", it says that 'Target creature is subjected to your “Parasite” (save ends)', although it doesn't specify what "Parasite" is?
Parasite doesn't do anything, which is why the talent doesn't specify what it does. Of course, what Parasite actually does is allows you to target the creature suffering from it with Suck Blood, which you get access to when you use Implant Parasite...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next