Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+35
Pingcode
Lyntermas
Lifeforce
Fury of the Tempest
Yawnmon
Z2
Azureink
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
A1C Bronymous
Kindulas
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Grey Pen The Flawed
Videocrazy
Hayatecooper
The Warrior of Many Faces
Cardbo
Caden2112
Philadelphus
Whiteeyes
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Appkes
SilentBelle
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
Zarhon
AProcrastinatingWriter
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
39 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 19 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 am

Right after combat, my players can specify that they want to "patch up" right away. I have them roll a Heal Check, and the total is how many hit points they gain from it.

Of course, as with any check, whether or not they can make it depends on how they intend to do it; unless there's a spellcaster present (and perhaps not even then) they need to have appropriate materials on hand.

If they don't, then how fast they regained HP normally would depend on how low they were to start with. But, it hasn't been an issue so far in my campaigns.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 19 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  sunbeam Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:44 pm

[-2] Song of Shielding - Standard Utility [Inspired by Philladelphus]
When you use this talent, choose one;[*]
A) Target ally gains resist 1d10 until the end of your next turn.
B) Pay an additional 2 PiPs. If you do, two target allies gain resist 1d10 until the end of your next turn.

If I use power B, do I roll 1d10 once or twice?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:47 pm

you roll it once.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:55 am

So thematthew and I were talking and we came to the question, "Does a summoned weapon like Hurricane Blade occupy your weapon slot? And if so, what happens to the item weapon you were already holding?"
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:08 am

Talking of Hurricane Blade: who does it's Mix up the Order of the enemy work? It's, just so unclear, does the GM work it, do we have a new rolls for them, or does the weapon user just control it?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:09 am

I'm pretty sure all the weapon does is create a new, temporary moveset for you. Your weapon is still in the weapon's slot, and you don't lose that item at all. At least as far as I know. Dan and the other designers'd know more.

Last edited by LoganAura on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:11 am

Who's Dave!?
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:15 am

Dan. Sorry. I was reading homestuck right before typing that Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:07 am

Mechanically it doesn't have anything to do with items. Flavor wise? Good question. A summoned weapon doesn't HAVE to be a summoned weapon in flavor. If yours is and you're wielding a weapon... flavor away!
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 am

LoganAura wrote:I'm pretty sure all the weapon does is create a new, temporary moveset for you. Your weapon is still in the weapon's slot, and you don't lose that item at all. At least as far as I know. Dan and the other designers'd know more.

Logan's right. It's a weapon in flavor only. Another cool way to reimagine it is shapeshifting.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:15 am

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
LoganAura wrote:I'm pretty sure all the weapon does is create a new, temporary moveset for you. Your weapon is still in the weapon's slot, and you don't lose that item at all. At least as far as I know. Dan and the other designers'd know more.

Logan's right. It's a weapon in flavor only. Another cool way to reimagine it is shapeshifting.
This isn't even my final form!
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:17 am

Like turning into a fire elemental or assuming the form of a titan of thunder...

Or going super-saiyan.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:18 am

Or, as Inky Quills uses Form of the Reaper, turning into a literal nightmare and being creepily aggressive. Seriously.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Grey Pen The Flawed Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:50 am

Or, as Iron Mane uses Hammer of Thunder as Hypermode.
Grey Pen The Flawed
Grey Pen The Flawed
Best Pony
Best Pony

Location : In the kitchen, at the table, or in my room drawing...

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am

As items have an affect on combat, would an item-focused Destiny be impossible to become official due to this?

Even through there are plans for items that don't affect combat?

Also, am I the only one that thinks the level 7 ability of Self-Discovery is underpowered? Getting a singe level 4 feature when others get their level 7 features kinda... sucks. I think it would be better to get two level 4 features, that way there isn't such a huge power-jump for lvl 7 to lvl 10... or at least, the progression is a lot easier to track.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:As items have an affect on combat, would an item-focused Destiny be impossible to become official due to this?

Also, am I the only one that thinks the level 7 ability of Self-Discovery is underpowered? Getting a singe level 4 feature when others get their level 7 features kinda... sucks. I think it would be better to get two level 4 features, that way there isn't such a huge power-jump for lvl 7 to lvl 10... or at least, the progression is a lot easier to track.
1) Item focused destiny... do you have any more specific ideas for that? There is inventor, of course, but perhaps an "Artificer" destiny which allows you to make a bunch of utility items for free or something? Or make your own for less than the normal price... my biggest problem with utility items is the way they cut into combat funds, a destiny that lets you grab more of the like for less is intriguing... if that's at all what you were thinking. Maybe powering up utility items some how. Getting extra uses out of them. *bites lip* I will play with this.
2) To be fair, the way we build destinies is that level 4s and 7s are actually the value of "two utility talents," so 7s aren't usually much more powerful than 4s, and if they are its usually because they're an expansion upon the level 4 abilities. Often times while building destinies we would simply wonder if the 4 should be the 7 and vice-versa. So while I see your point, there's an illusion at work which makes it look worse to you, when it isn't really. A troubling illusion though, I doubt you're the only one to see it, I mean common sense would suggest 7s should be far above 4s, that's how most systems work after all so naturally it would look under powered. However, if level 7 was two level 4s, if would be virtually as powerful as the level 10.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm

Two level 4's being as powerful as a level 10 in terms that level 10 is normally equivalent to 4 utility talents?

And when I was talking about a item-based destiny, I wasn't thinking about an Artificer, but a smith, a legendary smith. That can create items cheaper, make them better or perhaps even combine them (lvl 10 of course)

Oh and BTW, have you seen the PM I've sent you?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Two level 4's being as powerful as a level 10 in terms that level 10 is normally equivalent to 4 utility talents?

And when I was talking about a item-based destiny, I wasn't thinking about an Artificer, but a smith, a legendary smith. That can create items cheaper, make them better or perhaps even combine them (lvl 10 of course)

Oh and BTW, have you seen the PM I've sent you?

Two level 4s being as powerful as the level 10 in the terms that the level 10 is two 7s, which is almost as powerful or as powerful as two 4s.

Smith, Artificer, similar concept I suppose - Smiths typically making the physical object and artificer's enchanting them, unless you were thinking I meant the tinkering scientist engineer type of artificer - which is the inventor. The flavor in that respect would be mutable (smithing with magic!), though for utility items, since they're a lot of pendants, wands and rings so far artificer would probably make the most sense since we can't really have a sword maker - which I suppose is probably what you're hoping for but we can't really give you bonuses for that. Though you could flavor your character made his own weapons as well without mechanical benefits. The main point is an "item maker" destiny. And as far as combining, in combat items I guess that matters though we can't let you have that boost, though with utility combing wouldn't do anything much - we aren't planning to give utility items slots atm.

Crafter
Forger
Enchanter
Artificer

Oh and yes, I did. That's quite the list you've got, I'll be sure to look them over. Weapon summons are fun to make, aren't they?
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Kindulas wrote:Two level 4s being as powerful as the level 10 in the terms that the level 10 is two 7s, which is almost as powerful or as powerful as two 4s.

... Wait hold on. Doesn't that mean the level 10 ability - giving you 3 level 7's - is overpowered?

Kindulas wrote:Smith, Artificer, similar concept I suppose - Smiths typically making the physical object and artificer's enchanting them, unless you were thinking I meant the tinkering scientist engineer type of artificer - which is the inventor. The flavor in that respect would be mutable (smithing with magic!), though for utility items, since they're a lot of pendants, wands and rings so far artificer would probably make the most sense since we can't really have a sword maker - which I suppose is probably what you're hoping for but we can't really give you bonuses for that. Though you could flavor your character made his own weapons as well without mechanical benefits. The main point is an "item maker" destiny. And as far as combining, in combat items I guess that matters though we can't let you have that boost, though with utility combing wouldn't do anything much - we aren't planning to give utility items slots atm.

Crafter
Forger
Enchanter
Artificer

It seems we kinda have different ideas... Through I suppose if the Destiny is to have no affect on combat, it shouldn't have any effect on combat items... but I see a Master Smith, yes, infusing his creations with magic as well, all sorts of things, weapons, armour, trinkets etc, and constantly improving, constantly becoming better. Making thing with materials that are cheaper then the norm, but still able to make it work effectively, tampering with the design to make it function better then before, like making it more balanced to increase how easy it is to use or something... then taking two similar ideas, and combining them into one, or mayhaps two different ideas, and making an item which can switch between them.

Kindulas wrote:Oh and yes, I did. That's quite the list you've got, I'll be sure to look them over. Weapon summons are fun to make, aren't they?

Indeed! Althrough I seem to have run out of steam now.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Xel Unknown Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Personally I'd love to have see the Destinies having a some type of logical progression. And I don't don't like idea of level 4 and level 7 being equal... To me I"d love to see it more like: 2 Utilities = Level 4 Destiny, 2 Level 4 Destiny = Level 7, and 2 Level 7 Destiny = Level 10 Destiny. Meaning the power in terms of Utilies would be 2 for Level 4, 4 for Level 7, and 8 for Level 10... That'd be kinda cool and I think would help with the building of new destinies and help balancing the old ones. Or at least that's what I'd think.... Also kinda think it'd be equally cool if you could instend of taking two of the lower options getting one of the higher ones. For example being able to choose one level 4 destiny at level 4, a level 7 destiny at level 7, and a level 10 destiny at level 10... But that's just me and my crazy thoughts about that destiny.
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Destiny's getting progressively more powerful in that way, makes sense to me.

But being able to take different destiny's at different level's? Nu-uh.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  SilentBelle Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Kindulas wrote:
Fury of the Tempest wrote:As items have an affect on combat, would an item-focused Destiny be impossible to become official due to this?

1) Item focused destiny... do you have any more specific ideas for that? There is inventor, of course, but perhaps an "Artificer" destiny which allows you to make a bunch of utility items for free or something? Or make your own for less than the normal price... my biggest problem with utility items is the way they cut into combat funds, a destiny that lets you grab more of the like for less is intriguing... if that's at all what you were thinking. Maybe powering up utility items some how. Getting extra uses out of them. *bites lip* I will play with this.
2) To be fair, the way we build destinies is that level 4s and 7s are actually the value of "two utility talents," so 7s aren't usually much more powerful than 4s, and if they are its usually because they're an expansion upon the level 4 abilities. Often times while building destinies we would simply wonder if the 4 should be the 7 and vice-versa. So while I see your point, there's an illusion at work which makes it look worse to you, when it isn't really. A troubling illusion though, I doubt you're the only one to see it, I mean common sense would suggest 7s should be far above 4s, that's how most systems work after all so naturally it would look under powered. However, if level 7 was two level 4s, if would be virtually as powerful as the level 10.

A bunch of us realized that utility items would cut into combat funds, so what do you think of the idea that we came up with to try and fix this:

Essentially every item you buy has a combat and utility function. These would of course have a value based on their effect, but the actual cost of the item will be based on the ability chosen (whether combat or utility) that has the highest value. This would encourage choice while keeping balance. The only problem I see coming from this would be the purchasing of one-shot items, ie. Potions and Scrolls as they would cause your funds to be channeled to either combat or utility.

We discussed it in this particular thread: Utility Items

I wonder what you would make of this idea.
SilentBelle
SilentBelle
Monster Overseer
Monster Overseer

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/SilentBelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm

For an item like 'Hawkeye sights' I can see that happening.

Spellblade? Not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea. I just don't know how it'll be implemented with the current items.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 pm

It's possible that players could choose any current combat item ability to pair with utility items, thus making an item of their own creation.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:It's possible that players could choose any current combat item ability to pair with utility items, thus making an item of their own creation.

And still cost the same? As the single item?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next