Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+35
Pingcode
Lyntermas
Lifeforce
Fury of the Tempest
Yawnmon
Z2
Azureink
sunbeam
Doc pseudopolis
A1C Bronymous
Kindulas
Nehiel Mori
Dr Blight
Grey Pen The Flawed
Videocrazy
Hayatecooper
The Warrior of Many Faces
Cardbo
Caden2112
Philadelphus
Whiteeyes
RavenscroftRaven
elfowlgirl
LoganAura
Paper Shadow
Appkes
SilentBelle
tygerburningbright
thematthew
Xel Unknown
Jason Shadow
Zarhon
AProcrastinatingWriter
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
39 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 33 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Fixed. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 33 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Xel Unknown Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm

If you got time to do that update to a doc... Why don't you also update Wild Abandon?
Xel Unknown
Xel Unknown
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

http://us3.herozerogame.com/?resource_request=23219_2_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:48 pm

Because we haven't worked out the final math yet and double checked it. I'll try to make time today to do that.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  elfowlgirl Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:51 pm

A follow up to my last question - Do LL characters get an Expert Skill AND 8 racial points, or does the Expert Skill cost 2 racial points like a Cutie Mark?
elfowlgirl
elfowlgirl
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://elfowlgirl.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Costs 2 racial points.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Ramsus wrote:Well, the +1 version of Critfisher only leads to potential insanity in Derpy's Lightning
Ask dan about the story of the never-ending crit a while ago.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Here's my question.

I know. I KNOW. That Combat and non-combat are FOREVER going to be COMPLETELY APART mechanics wise.

HOWEVER. If the fluff of a character, is that he uses fire to fight with, or lightning to fight with. Then, if you set-up the place of battle - like surrounding it in a ring of fire, or using weather manipulation to gather together a storm of lighting.

Don't you think you should get a combat bonus for the creativity?
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:49 pm

It's totally up the DM of course - but I'd certainly allow a cool circumstantial bonus. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:It's totally up the DM of course - but I'd certainly allow a cool circumstantial bonus. =)

Happy to know you'll do that Very Happy
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Pingcode Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:57 pm

Hey question: How do Multipliers interact?

The example I'm thinking of here is Headshot and Assassin's Gambit.

Assassin's Gambit's 10-critical causes you and a target to do double damage to each other.
Headshot deals double damage if you roll a 5 or 6 on the damage die.

So if you attacked the target of your Assassin's Gambit double damage condition with Headshot, and rolled a 6 on damage, would you deal 12 (Overlaps), 18 (added multipliers ala DnD) or 24 damage (2x2 = 4)?
Pingcode
Pingcode
Technical Administrator
Technical Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:32 pm

It'll be doubled, then doubled again. So 24 damage.

Admittedly, I'm not a mod...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:36 am

Still waiting for my previous crescendo/interrupt/eternal flame questions to be answered, btw... Neutral
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 am

Well, for 1, I think it doesn't matter, as they are all resolved at once, but that's just me.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Well, for 1, I think it doesn't matter, as they are all resolved at once, but that's just me.

Yes, but if you have multiple targets of high hp, or if a target is about to be KO'd, or if they got a special reaction of some type, you probably want to be picky and have the strongest attack go first, then see how it goes from there (e.g. if the attack doesn't KO the target, or you want to ensure you KO something in one attack, rather than several weak ones).

For instance, there might be two powerful enemies, one of which may or may not be KO'd by the next hit, depending on the roll. You can use the strongest attack against the low-hp one, and if it barely misses finishing them off, follow it up with the weakest one. That would leave the rest of the attacks to use on the high-hp enemy.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Actually, if they are resolved at the same time, you can't simply try to KO obe guy with your strobgest attack unless you know its exact health.

If you do, I don't think you can choose the order. Cuz its a Crescendo.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  elfowlgirl Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 am

Does Alter Ego mean a change in appearance, or a change in racial traits as well? Can you take it multiple times?
elfowlgirl
elfowlgirl
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://elfowlgirl.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Does Alter Ego mean a change in appearance, or a change in racial traits as well? Can you take it multiple times?

Just reading it, I would make the assumption it only changes your characters appearance. I would also guess you can only take it once, like most racial traits unless specified otherwise; but I may be wrong.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 pm

According to random Google searches, ponies usually weigh between 250 - 450 pounds, with larger ones weighing up to double that...

With that in mind, can I use Master Ponykinesis to carry a pony? Can I use it to carry myself?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayatecooper Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:15 pm

According to random Google searches, ponies usually weigh between 250 - 450 pounds, with larger ones weighing up to double that...

With that in mind, can I use Master Ponykinesis to carry a pony? Can I use it to carry myself?

Well provided google is right(and honestly when is it not?), you would be within the weight limit. You'd probably have to roll something to carry yourself though, cause it would require extra concentration IMO anyway.
Hayatecooper
Hayatecooper
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:19 am

Alter Ego is only appearance. Only Changeling’s Trickery and Metamorphosis allows for the racial points to be shifted around.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:29 pm

The weight of ponies is somewhat subjective. Not only is it a magical realm where ponies are of an indeterminate size - but some ponies like fluttershy seem to be able to land on a cushion of butterflies from a great height while other ponies like applejack can fall only about fifteen feet onto a seesaw and catapult rainbow dash hundreds of feet. Also, as most of them are girls, it's difficult to ask any of them about their weight without being insensitive. So that's rather DM dependent. I tend to allow Advanced Ponykinesis and above to work in moving ponies, but that's just me.

Additionally, you can only take a utility talent, combat talent, combat trait, racial trait or... Just about anything really *once* unless it says otherwise. This is to promote diversity in characters and make it harder to exploit the system if a crack shows up. Of course, you can do some pretty nifty things despite this. By using the Necromancer Destiny's level 4 feature (gives you a 2/session twitchy tail talent), twitchy tail itself, the tenacity virtue (the living legends system has more virtues - which are their versions of elements - than the mane six of ponyland) and spellchild on tenacity - I was able to crank out a wonderful 9 yes/no questions per session. Actually more, since all I needed was a day's rest to recharge the x/session powers twice more with versatility. Tenacity will get changed to only recharging x/day talents soon (because otherwise a time jump can let you ask questions on every one of the days you're skipping - which is way too much hassle for a DM) but the example still stands. =)

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Alter Ego is only appearance. Only Changeling’s Trickery and Metamorphosis allows for the racial points to be shifted around.

Absolutely.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 am

CONTINUING THE STREAM OF CRESCENDO QUESTIONS ZARHORN AND I HAVE BEEN POSTING

If we attack a single enemy that has, for example, a vulnerability of 3 with the full force of Crescendo, that attack will only do 3 extra damage, not 3 per roll of the die (or 15 total), correct? And I suppose the same answer applies to Resistances?

I have the strangest feeling that somewhere in these fifty-five pages, this question has already been answered.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:21 am

I think it would have to apply every time since it'd apply every time if you hit a different target who had vulnerability with every roll. But, that's just my two cents.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Philadelphus Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:56 am

You know, I have a suggestion related to the length of this extremely popular thread. I think this thread is a great idea, but it's become a bit unwieldy of late and might benefit from a separation of the many and multifarious topics considered within it. So...

<question>How's about closing this thread and starting new ones for questions about different aspects of the game?</question>
At the very least, a combat/non-combat split would be nice, and possibly even more granular that that. (Utility Talents/Destinies for non-combat, Combat Talents/Traits for combat, Items, and Miscellaneous perhaps.) That way people looking for answers to previously-asked questions could better narrow down their search.
Philadelphus
Philadelphus
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:24 am

How does "random targeting" affect in terms of targeting, attacks, and protection from such? In this case:

Ally is protected by a warden, cannot be attacked.

Warden can't be targeted by attacks, thanks to cutscene immunity.

Enemy uses wild lightning on a different ally:

Wild Lightning - Standard Attack
Deal 1d12 damage to target enemy and 1d10 damage to another random enemy.

Would the "random enemy" targeting be able to affect the protected ally, or the warden? Would they be "put out of the loop" for the random targeting situation?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next