Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 21 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25 ... 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 21 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Exuno Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:11 am

Pony Tales Question:

Why is Slashback worded as it is, and what is it intended to do?

For reference:
[–2] Slashback - Interrupt Attack
Range: Melee
Trigger - An adjacent creature deals damage to you.
Effect - Deal 1d12 damage to the triggering creature.

It's an Interrupt, so that would happen before the damage takes place, right? One of those per-emptive strike deals? The wording for most other interrupts is in the form of "would take damage", and there's not really a basic counterattack talent, so it makes me wonder if it was supposed to be a reaction.

If it is an interrupt, how does it work if I combine with things like the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength
Gauntlets of Ogre Strength - 500 Gold
Trinket
Whenever you deal 3 or more damage to a creature with a melee attack, you may push that creature 1 space.
or Unseen Hand
[–2] Unseen Hand - Reaction Attack
Range: Ranged 7
Trigger - You make a melee attack.
Effect - Move target creature 3 spaces
in order to move myself or the enemy into a position where the attack would fizzle?
Exuno
Exuno
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 21 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:18 am

It's worded that way, very confusingly, because you DO take the damage no matter what... But you resolve your damage first (in case you were knocked to 0hp by the damage, at which point your wouldn't be able to react). It probably would have been better to just make it a reaction and accepted that if you get knocked unconscious by the damage, you can't use slashback before going down.

As for how it interacts with making the attack fizzle, you can't. The attack gets to hit you, but you can push them before you actually take the damage. So if an enemy had an effect that says "adjacent players have vulnerability 3" or similar, you'd be able to push them away or move yourself away before taking the damage - but you'd still take the damage.

Basically, the game says "Okay, I'm taking the damage - but technically I'm going to hit you first". 99% of the time this won't matter. Sometimes it does, like the scenarios you've mentioned.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:10 pm

So I just noticed that Healing Rays isn't a Burst power:

[-X] Healing Rays - Minor Action (Healing)
Up to X different target creatures gain 5 life.

This is weird because other talents worded the same way are burst powers:
[+3] Revival - Standard Action (Healing, Burst)
Up to 2 different target creatures gain 1d6 life.

And it's relevant because I'd like to use it in conjunction with Nova, so that healing can be condensed into one combat talent (and one feature).

I guess I need a question...Why isn't Healing Rays a Burst power?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Whoops, good catch. I'll fix that now. Thanks!
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:57 pm

In the wanderlust combat system what happens when you have two sources of armour? Such as the Sentinel feature and the thick skin trait.

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Armor stacks. If you have one source giving you 10 armor and one source giving you 5 armor, it's as if you have 15 armor.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:10 am

I have a question about the Wanderlust Destinies:
At Level 4 you may either select a Complete Destiny or build your own by selecting one Path from the Combat section and one Path from the Utility section. Complete destinies are much rarer, because both sides work together to create a concept that couldn’t exist in pieces. For example, being able to transform into a Dragon would affect both combat and non-combat situations – which means the pieces can’t easily be split up.

It has Combat and Utility Path lists, but the only Complete Destiny is Dragon Disciple. Are there more being worked on to be added later?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:11 am

They all used to be complete destinies, but we decided to break them apart for the sake of flexibility. The only ones that will always be complete destinies are those with flavor that requires both combat and nonbat applications (such as Dragon Disciple).
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:42 am

I get that. My question was, are there going to be any other Complete Destinies?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:44 am

It depends if we decide we want to support a concept like that. For example, a destiny about becoming a high vampire lord would likely require a Complete Destiny.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:22 am

So it would require ideas, I take it, and it seems to favor becoming a mythological being rather than individual development.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 am

Transformations yield themselves well to nobat and combat applications. Dragon-Rider was a similar concept that falls into this category. Having a mighty dragon ally would naturally yield both combat and nonbat benefits. We decided to go with turning into a dragon though.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:24 am

I was just going over my character's powers when something occured to me. Does Vampiric Blade stack?

[-1] Vampiric Blade - Minor Action (Bladespell, Healing)
The next Single Attack Power you use gets, “Gain 5 Life if you damage a creature with this attack”.

Basically, if I have the trait Quickdraw (giving me 2 minor actions a turn) may I use Vampiric Blade twice to gain 10 life?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:13 am

Unfortunately, the Diversity Rule applies here - as specified in the Wanderlust Adventurer's Guide.

The Diversity Rule
Now’s as good a time as any to mention the Diversity Rule. The Diversity Rule comes in two parts.

1) You cannot take the same Ability, Power or anything else more than once (unless it says otherwise, of course). This means you can’t take Flash Teleport a bunch of times and get 3 uses for the same one.

2) Bonuses from the same ability don’t stack. For example, let’s imagine an ability that gave a +5 bonus to your next skill check. If you used it on yourself and a friend used it on you too, you don’t get a +10 bonus to your next skill check - because both the bonuses came from the same ability. It doesn’t matter that each is on different players, both abilities had the same original name in the rulebook.

This is designed to encourage, well, diversity and prevent the stacking of options that may be a bit overpowered until they happen enough times to be dramatically overpowered.

However, Vampiric Blade is completely fair. So I'd have no problems houseruling that as an exception to the Diversity Rule. It does fall under it without special GM approval though.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Hmm, i understand, and will abide by your ruling, but in terms of this particular move, i was thinking more along the lines of Bladespells, Powers, and their effects:

Weakness stacks now.

Ongoing damage stacks.

(I believe) You can use a move like Sparkblade multiple times, and have each boost count.

If given an extra standard action, you can use a healing power twice, and have them count each time.

So it feels like Vampiric Blaede gets left out in the cold a bit.

Of course, if my interpretations, are wrong, then I withdraw my argument.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:23 pm

The diversity rule applies to specific effects, rather than status conditions. That's why Dragon's Grandeur doesn't stack - you can't a benefit from the same named source at the same time. It's definitely borderline, so I'm fine with you stacking it here - but I believe it violates the diversity rule as written (not necessarily as intended).
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Alright then thank you for your time.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:06 am

I was just going over the combat balancing guidelines for Wanderlust. The thing is, I'm not quite sure where minor actions come in, since the document doesn't mention them specifically.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:09 am

Minor actions aren't worth anything in terms of math. They're just used to prevent everything from happening at once. If players unleash all their stuff on the first turn, there's no interesting decisions. If they have to split them due to a shortage of minor actions, turns flow faster and players have more decisions.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:14 am

So, how do you calculate balance for minor actions?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:30 am

Same as any other energy cost.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:02 pm

Really? Huh. I know they and reactions had a penalty in LL and minors in WL aren't particularly powerful.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:07 pm

Same as the ENERGY cost. Spending a standardaction itself is worth 4 energy. So if a minor action costs -8, the same effect as a standard action in wanderlust would only cost -4 (because the standard action is worth 4 energy). The point is, minor actions are priced the same as a free action or reaction.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  tygerburningbright Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:33 pm

Meta question

Did someone change most of the board descriptors?
tygerburningbright
tygerburningbright
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Terrestial Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:02 am

What happens when you roll a trigger-requiring combat talent due to Wild Lightning's tier 3 (12 on d12) effect?
Terrestial
Terrestial
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25 ... 30  Next