Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+33
Inferno1114
Antiquated
Lifeforce
Colter Bolt
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Doc pseudopolis
Grey Pen The Flawed
Hayatecooper
Z2
Caden2112
Pingcode
Kindulas
Quietkal
Nehiel Mori
Videocrazy
Zarhon
tygerburningbright
ZamuelNow
Azureink
Demonu
sunbeam
LoganAura
thematthew
Curunir
Philadelphus
Fury of the Tempest
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
SilentBelle
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Stairc -Dan Felder
37 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 9 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  thematthew Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 am

I know that I would prefer to not have the save option if that makes the difference between it being single target attack and standard action attack.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 9 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Kindulas Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:28 am

thematthew wrote:I know that I would prefer to not have the save option if that makes the difference between it being single target attack and standard action attack.
Had it used to simply have two abilities? I was replacing the board's jump ability, but if two abilities were it's melee nerf, that might be best.
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:38 am

Question about Domination: can you Dominate a creature that is already Dominated (say by a different creature)- does the new Domination override the previous one?

Also, can you Dominate yourself? I actually have a reason for asking that (unrelated to above question of course- as you wouldn't have the option to do that if someone else was controlling you)
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  thematthew Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:47 am

Kindulas wrote:
thematthew wrote:I know that I would prefer to not have the save option if that makes the difference between it being single target attack and standard action attack.
Had it used to simply have two abilities? I was replacing the board's jump ability, but if two abilities were it's melee nerf, that might be best.
It used to do an initiative boost, the new version's saving throw is about the only reason I could see it being Standard Action Attacks only and even then... meh...

I see it as not a big deal to be on any single target attack so long as it remains as once per round.
thematthew
thematthew
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Nehiel Mori Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:16 am

Curunir wrote:Question about Domination: can you Dominate a creature that is already Dominated (say by a different creature)- does the new Domination override the previous one?

Also, can you Dominate yourself? I actually have a reason for asking that (unrelated to above question of course- as you wouldn't have the option to do that if someone else was controlling you)

I think I know the reason... I approve.
Nehiel Mori
Nehiel Mori
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Can you use sleight of hand (the 5/day coin reflip trait) consecutively, if you keep losing a coin toss? It says take the second result, but can you override that with another use of it.

Second question: If you redirect an attack with wheel of fortune, and it aims at an ally, does that count as your attack and activate friendly fire (5 resist against allied attacks)?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  LoganAura Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:39 pm

sunbeam wrote:Can you use sleight of hand (the 5/day coin reflip trait) consecutively, if you keep losing a coin toss? It says take the second result, but can you override that with another use of it.

Second question: If you redirect an attack with wheel of fortune, and it aims at an ally, does that count as your attack and activate friendly fire (5 resist against allied attacks)?

Yes ( heads, reflip, heads (2nd). Then it's another set. Heads tails), and no in that order. It's still the enemy's attack in the second case.
LoganAura
LoganAura
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:55 pm

If Derpy's Lightning's d12 crit activates a move with a [-X] cost, how do you choose the cost? My personal suggestion is roll 2d4 to determine X, but I was wondering if there was an official ruling?

Can you tell I'm making a random target/damage build from my last 3 questions?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm

X would be 0 in that case, as no pip cost was paid.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:47 am

Combo move. If you use this:

[-2] Martyr’s Blessing - Minor Utility
Until the end of your next turn, whenever a creature would deal damage to target ally the damage is dealt to you instead.

And also this:

Dimensional Cape - 1000 Gold
Trinket
Once per battle, you may use the following combat talent.

[0] Hideaway - Minor Utility [1/Battle]
You cease to exist and can take no actions until the start of your next turn. While in this state of nonexistence, you can affect no creature and no creature can affect you in any way. At the start of your next turn, you reappear.

Using Motion Blur of course, how does this play out? An enemy attacks an opponent, and the damage is shifted to you, but you are intangible and can't take damage, so...
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Kindulas Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:50 am

Bronymous wrote:Combo move. If you use this:

[-2] Martyr’s Blessing - Minor Utility
Until the end of your next turn, whenever a creature would deal damage to target ally the damage is dealt to you instead.

And also this:

Dimensional Cape - 1000 Gold
Trinket

[0] Hideaway - Minor Utility [1/Battle]
You cease to exist and can take no actions until the start of your next turn. While in this state of nonexistence, you can affect no creature and no creature can affect you in any way. At the start of your next turn, you reappear.

Using Motion Blur of course, how does this play out? An enemy attacks an opponent, and the damage is shifted to you, but you are intangible and can't take damage, so...
I think that Marty's Blessing would cease function
Kindulas
Kindulas
Designer
Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:50 am

Indeed. You need a legal target for these things.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:34 am

If you have Warlord's special and Special Summon traits, and you grant your conjuration an action, and they roll a critical hit, can you activate your special twice?

Warlord’s Special

Whenever a creature rolls an 8 on a d8, 10 on a d10 or 12 on a d12 with a talent that you granted them, you may also activate your special move as though you had rolled the die.

Special Summon

You may use the following combat talent.
[0] Special Summon - Free Action
Trigger - A conjuration you control rolls an 8 on a d8, a 10 on a d10 or a 12 on a d12.
Effect - Trigger your Special Move as though you had rolled the respective die.

Actually, second question. Warlords special says you can activate your special move as though you had rolled the critical die. Does this mean that with Warlord's special, if someone crits with go get that bastard/sir yes sir, can you activate your special move twice as well?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:57 pm

1) Absolutely! They're an ally and you grant them an action - so both work.

2) No, as it only pertains to the die-rolling and not the other effects of the move.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Just noticed that Quick Blade's Fast Strike deals more damage than Lightning Blade's, it's apparent improvement. Was this meant, or is it a typo?
Quick Blade:
Lightning Blade:
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:38 pm

It's not supposed to be a strict improvement.It was indeed meant to be different.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:50 am

One of my players has a "Defensive Blade" as part of his combat items.

Defensive Blade - 1000 Gold
Weapon

[0] Deflect Blow - Interrupt Utility [1/Battle]
Trigger - An enemy would deal damage to you.
Effect - You suffer only half that much damage instead.

After checking the updated combat items, though, I see that the item is nowhere to be seen - was it removed, renamed, replaced, or omitted? What's the closest "updated" equivalent of it, if its still among the items in some form?
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Well, you could get the Training Certificate and take Perfect Defence...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Why do people keep answering questions with things that aren't actually answers to the question as if that's helpful?
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Ramsus wrote:Why do people keep answering questions with things that aren't actually answers to the question as if that's helpful?
Well, he did ask for the closest updated equivalent to Defensive Blade...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Oops. I missed that. Still, it's happened other times. (At least a few times to just me so, it probably happens quite a bit really.)
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Ramsus wrote:Oops. I missed that. Still, it's happened other times. (At least a few times to just me so, it probably happens quite a bit really.)
That's okay. If I was to answer his other question, I'd say it was removed, because items seemed to have been steered away from defensive options. In addition to the example above, the Regeneration Armours were nerfed, and Gah! (from the Ring of Strategic Withdrawal) was changed to cost one pip, deal 1d12 damage, and require a coin flip to see if you do dodge the attack or get 5 temporary HP, instead of being free, dealing 1d10 damage, and always dodging the attack...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Zarhon wrote:One of my players has a "Defensive Blade" as part of his combat items.

Defensive Blade - 1000 Gold
Weapon

[0] Deflect Blow - Interrupt Utility [1/Battle]
Trigger - An enemy would deal damage to you.
Effect - You suffer only half that much damage instead.

After checking the updated combat items, though, I see that the item is nowhere to be seen - was it removed, renamed, replaced, or omitted? What's the closest "updated" equivalent of it, if its still among the items in some form?

It was removed for two reasons.

1) We prefer weapons to *mostly* focus on offense in some manner - so there's a balance between offense and defense for all characters. However, we haven't actually done this for quite a few weapons and armor, so this isn't a real reason to scrap the blade. At worst, it's a reason to make it an armor piece.

2) Like the save-ends amulet, it was accidentally lost in the transition. Basically what happened was that Kindulas reworked all the combat items from the tabletop version, as I did originally, but it seems that he might have not checked the previous item document to see what transitions I'd already made for the original item doc. This is both good, because he came at it with a fresh approach, and bad because some items got lost between the cracks. Luckily, I still have the doc on backup.

I'll add Defensive Blade back in. Cool
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:27 pm

If you want it make it a bit more offensive, why not make it reflect half of the damage back at the source?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarhon Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Paper Shadow wrote:If you want it make it a bit more offensive, why not make it reflect half of the damage back at the source?

That would likely warrant a cost / PiP increase, and probably require more specifics on how the damage was dealt to allow such.

How about making the defensive blade "offensive" when you are defending? For instance, it giving a offensive/damage bonus whenever you have resist or temporary hp on you, or allowing a extra attack as a reaction to getting resist / temp hp / losing a set amount of hp in a single strike. A tanks weapon, so to speak.
Zarhon
Zarhon
Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next