Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

+42
Bubblez
Faege
Terrestial
Exuno
PhoenixSpectre
Cardbo
DrownedChampion
Broken Logic
mjh6
Copper Rose
Crystalite
Snagging Roots
deonte9109
Dusk Raven
LoganAura
Caden2112
Pingcode
Antiquated
AProcrastinatingWriter
RavenscroftRaven
Z2
Paper Shadow
Fury of the Tempest
Philadelphus
Lapis-Lazily
tygerburningbright
Mind Gamer
Stairc -Dan Felder
Zarhon
sunbeam
Hayatecooper
Demonu
A1C Bronymous
XandZero2
Kindulas
Xel Unknown
Ramsus
Sefton
Quietkal
Doc pseudopolis
ZamuelNow
SparkImpulse
46 posters

Page 20 of 30 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25 ... 30  Next

Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 20 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  DrownedChampion Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:40 pm

If a variable cost (-X or +X) talent is activated for free through Wild Lightning's d12 crit, what is the value set to?
DrownedChampion
DrownedChampion
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer - Page 20 Empty Re: Ask a Simple Question - Get a Simple Answer

Post  Paper Shadow Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:06 am

DrownedChampion wrote:If a variable cost (-X or +X) talent is activated for free through Wild Lightning's d12 crit, what is the value set to?
The value is set to zero, with an owl dispatched to your home to hand you a letter saying "make better combat decisions". That's a new feature, still has some bugs though (such as when Wild Lighting was the best choice even if you were packing X Cost Talents. Also the owl has worms)...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubblez Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:25 pm

In Wanderlust:

[+1] Snake Eyes - Standard (Attack, Single)
Deal 2d6 damage to target creature. For each 1 you roll on those 2 dice, you may repeat this power’s effects.

I assume this means you get to do the:

deal the damage again and have the "For each 1-" apply to the second two but NOT getting the additional +1 energy.

Is this assumption correct or do you not get the "For each 1..." effect again or the second or do you get an additional +1?
Bubblez
Bubblez
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:42 pm

You get to do the attack again for free, no extra +1 energy.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:42 am

Wow! Apparently the forum decided to stop notifying me of questions for a LONG time.

PhoenixSpectre wrote:So on the system my DM is having us use (have no idea which one it is), there is a combat talent called Wound Reflection, which functions like this:

[-3] Wound Reflection - Reaction Attack
   Trigger - An enemy within 10 spaces deals damage to you.
   Effect - Deal an equal amount of damage to the triggering enemy.

And there are two traits, Pacifist and Stalwart which function as follows:

Stalwart
    You have resist 4 but suffer a -3 penalty to damage.

Pacifist
    You suffer a -2 penalty to damage. Whenever you grant an ally hp, that ally also gains 1d10 temporary hp.

So here's the question then: Stalwart and Pacifist give you a penalty to damage, but the required effect as defined from Wound Reflection is that you are supposed to deal an equal amount of damage to the triggering enemy. So does that mean that the damage bonuses from Stalwart and Pacifist end up cancelling out? And if now, how exactly does that mechanic work?

This is the old system, but basically Wound Reflection tells you how much damage you deal to the opponent. THEN modifiers apply.

So if you deal 10 damage off wound reflection, you suffer a -5 penalty to that damage. You'd end up only dealing 5.

Are there any other questions that people still need answered? If so, you can PM me to get my attention in case my subscription doesn't tell me. I don't mind.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:50 pm

Also, yes - companions *also* trigger your crits.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Have a bit of an odd question.  Generally there's the "no stacking" rule in effect.  However, can you take Power Up more than once if each is linked to a different trait?

Power Up:
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:15 pm

I'd rule that yes you can, because it seems to be obeying the spirit of the law even if the letter is a bit fuzzy.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Does the combat trait iron will's bonus to saves stack with the amulet of protection Ring of Resilience item's bonus? Thanks.

Edit: sorry on smart phone, also got one name wrong(amulet should have been Ring of Resilience) . Here they are:

Iron Will
You may make saving throws against being stunned or dazed at the start of your turn in addition to the end of your turn, including dazed and stun effects that a saving throw could not normally end. You also gain a +2 bonus to saving throws.

Ring of Resilience - 500 Gold
Trinket
You have a +3 bonus to saving throws.

Last edited by Broken Logic on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Please post the relevant traits and items, and I'll be happy to give an answer.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Broken Logic Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:34 pm

New post just in case you check by new post updates :3. Edited old post.
Broken Logic
Broken Logic
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:59 pm

I believe saving throw bonuses and penalties don't stack. I believe you have to apply only the largest bonus for a given throw. I can't find a rules citation for the bonuses aspect though, but I know the penalties don't stack due to certain abuses. I would assume when we changed the penalties to not stack, we changed bonuses to not stack in the same way.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:44 am

It mentions in the Shapeshift type abilities in the Wanderlust system that activating one causes you to exit any other forms you happen to be in, thus is it possible to use other Shapeshift abilities while using one?
Basic Abilities for reference:
Edit: How does the Chimeric Shifter trait change it, if at all, in addition to the listed effects.
Trait for reference:

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:43 pm

Doc pseudopolis wrote:It mentions in the Shapeshift type abilities in the Wanderlust system that activating one causes you to exit any other forms you happen to be in, thus is it possible to use other Shapeshift abilities while using one?

While the shapeshift forms prevent you from using your basic powers, they can't prevent you from using a non-basic Power - such as one granted by a trait (we need to allow non-basic powers for balance reasons). So yes, it IS possible to use a shapeshift power while in a form - just not not basic shapeshift powers.

Edit: How does the Chimeric Shifter trait change it, if at all, in addition to the listed effects.

Trait for reference:

Chimeric Shifter currently doesn't allow you to use basic powers while in your shapeshifted forms. Currently, you have to use traits to enter multiple forms at once. This is non-ideal, and probably something that should be corrected. It's a 4-point trait after all.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Due to the excellent question, I've changed Chimeric Shapeshifter to the following.

(4) Chimeric Shifter
Entering a new Form no longer causes you to exit other forms you were already in, and being in a form no longer prevents you from using basic Shapeshifter powers . You may take an additional standard action on your turn, which can only be spent on Form powers.

Now Chimeric Shifter can help you get into all sorts of forms at once to take advantage of its theme. There might be a better way to template this, and I'd like to hear suggestions, but this is a quick fix at least.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:31 pm

How do the following traits interact with the KO'd state?
Traits for reference:

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:15 pm

I Should point out that under the fatal damage system, you don't lose your energy when you get KO'd, so there's certainly no reason for practiced medicine to be affected. I know in Pony Tales there was a specific line stating that passives were disabled while KO'd, but I can't find that line in the unconscious section of the Wanderlust Player's Handbook. So I'd say Dark Pact still runs.
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Yup, Sunbeam is correct. While unconscious in wanderlust, you continue to accumulate energy and lose life. You do not lose energy when you fall unconscious in wanderlust. However, losing 3 life each turn in Wanderlust while unconscious is very dangerous, due to fatal damage.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Bubblez Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:24 pm

4 Question in Wanderlust

1.) If a player has a conjuration with an ability that rolls dice (i.e. Battle Spirit) and it crits, does the player get to use his special move.

2.) In the Manual it says
Wanderlust Manual wrote:Much like Abilities, these have an Exalted Tier and a Legendary Tier (though there is no Novice tier) and Exalted points cannot purchase Legendary traits. However, you can spend 2 Legendary Trait Points to gain 3 Exalted Trait Points.

And

Traits wrote:Also, you may refund points at any time between sessions to purchase new traits. Legendary points cannot be spent on Exalted traits.

Two things, first I assume that if a player decides to do the point exchange they can reverse it (I.E. they spend 2 Legend->3Exalt, then say they level up (and gain 2 more legendary) and want to get a 4 legend trait they can 'sell' the 3 exalted and get the 2 back).  Second the sections in bold contradict one another, which should take precedent? (also could you change the one that is no longer true?)

3.) Do aspects for shape shifting stack?
I.E. if a player has Form of Panther and Form of Alpha Wolf, and uses an ability that is neither Alpha Wolf nor Panther, would they gain both the 1 panther charge and the "Target creature gains 5 Life and 1 Energy."  In addition, I assume, due to the way the wording is, if in Wolf form they still gain the panther charge.

4.)  I'm pretty sure this a GM discretion call, but is there any official stance on abusing "Talk to Animals" and "Out of A Hat"/"John Woo"/"Flamingos Away" for fun and profit? (like say summoning doves, and using them as scouts [though I have a feeling they are not compelled to follow summoner's order])
Bubblez
Bubblez
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Bubblez wrote:4 Question in Wanderlust

1.) If a player has a conjuration with an ability that rolls dice (i.e. Battle Spirit) and it crits, does the player get to use his special move.

In Wanderlust, yes.

2.) In the Manual it says
Wanderlust Manual wrote:Much like Abilities, these have an Exalted Tier and a Legendary Tier (though there is no Novice tier) and Exalted points cannot purchase Legendary traits. However, you can spend 2 Legendary Trait Points to gain 3 Exalted Trait Points.

And

Traits wrote:Also, you may refund points at any time between sessions to purchase new traits. Legendary points cannot be spent on Exalted traits.

Two things, first I assume that if a player decides to do the point exchange they can reverse it (I.E. they spend 2 Legend->3Exalt, then say they level up (and gain 2 more legendary) and want to get a 4 legend trait they can 'sell' the 3 exalted and get the 2 back).  Second the sections in bold contradict one another, which should take precedent? (also could you change the one that is no longer true?)

1) Yes, they can reverse it.

2) I don't see how the bolded sections contradict eachother. You cannot spend legendary trait points to buy exalted traits, but you can exchange legendary trait points for exalted trait points.

3.) Do aspects for shape shifting stack?
I.E. if a player has Form of Panther and Form of Alpha Wolf, and uses an ability that is neither Alpha Wolf nor Panther, would they gain both the 1 panther charge and the "Target creature gains 5 Life and 1 Energy."  In addition, I assume, due to the way the wording is, if in Wolf form they still gain the panther charge.

Yes, they do stack and your assumption is correct.

4.)  I'm pretty sure this a GM discretion call, but is there any official stance on abusing "Talk to Animals" and "Out of A Hat"/"John Woo"/"Flamingos Away" for fun and profit? (like say summoning doves, and using them as scouts [though I have a feeling they are not compelled to follow summoner's order])

They aren't compelled to follow the summoner's orders. However, feel free to talk to them as much as you like. It's of course up to the GM discretion how they respond, and it has an opportunity for some hilarious existential discussions between the creator and the created.. Or, if your GM chooses to interpret it as you summoning random animals from elsewhere in the world instead of creating new ones, some equally funny banter.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Exuno Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:11 am

Pony Tales Question:

Why is Slashback worded as it is, and what is it intended to do?

For reference:
[–2] Slashback - Interrupt Attack
Range: Melee
Trigger - An adjacent creature deals damage to you.
Effect - Deal 1d12 damage to the triggering creature.

It's an Interrupt, so that would happen before the damage takes place, right? One of those per-emptive strike deals? The wording for most other interrupts is in the form of "would take damage", and there's not really a basic counterattack talent, so it makes me wonder if it was supposed to be a reaction.

If it is an interrupt, how does it work if I combine with things like the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength
Gauntlets of Ogre Strength - 500 Gold
Trinket
Whenever you deal 3 or more damage to a creature with a melee attack, you may push that creature 1 space.
or Unseen Hand
[–2] Unseen Hand - Reaction Attack
Range: Ranged 7
Trigger - You make a melee attack.
Effect - Move target creature 3 spaces
in order to move myself or the enemy into a position where the attack would fizzle?
Exuno
Exuno
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:18 am

It's worded that way, very confusingly, because you DO take the damage no matter what... But you resolve your damage first (in case you were knocked to 0hp by the damage, at which point your wouldn't be able to react). It probably would have been better to just make it a reaction and accepted that if you get knocked unconscious by the damage, you can't use slashback before going down.

As for how it interacts with making the attack fizzle, you can't. The attack gets to hit you, but you can push them before you actually take the damage. So if an enemy had an effect that says "adjacent players have vulnerability 3" or similar, you'd be able to push them away or move yourself away before taking the damage - but you'd still take the damage.

Basically, the game says "Okay, I'm taking the damage - but technically I'm going to hit you first". 99% of the time this won't matter. Sometimes it does, like the scenarios you've mentioned.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  sunbeam Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:10 pm

So I just noticed that Healing Rays isn't a Burst power:

[-X] Healing Rays - Minor Action (Healing)
Up to X different target creatures gain 5 life.

This is weird because other talents worded the same way are burst powers:
[+3] Revival - Standard Action (Healing, Burst)
Up to 2 different target creatures gain 1d6 life.

And it's relevant because I'd like to use it in conjunction with Nova, so that healing can be condensed into one combat talent (and one feature).

I guess I need a question...Why isn't Healing Rays a Burst power?
sunbeam
sunbeam
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Whoops, good catch. I'll fix that now. Thanks!
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc pseudopolis Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:57 pm

In the wanderlust combat system what happens when you have two sources of armour? Such as the Sentinel feature and the thick skin trait.

Doc pseudopolis
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 30 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25 ... 30  Next