Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!)

+7
Fury of the Tempest
Paper Shadow
Lapis-Lazily
Z2
Dusk Raven
Marona
AProcrastinatingWriter
11 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!) Empty LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!)

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:10 pm

This world doesn't have what you might call a complicated history.

We're saving that for the future.

Long ago, we're not sure how long, man rose upon this world, we're not sure how. He was not alone, nor was he particularly strong.

Mostly, he was stubborn.

The beasts and blood-soaked monsters of the wild beat him and broke him, but man did not die - he was harmed, he fell, he weeped, but he did not die.

And eventually, he grew large enough that that he couldn't just be called "man" anymore. Now, he was Mankind.

Mankind clustered themselves together in village upon village, setting men and women and wards against the world at large, and slowly began to grow and prosper more than the beasts outside the city gates could ever dream. Specialized guilds were set up between the farmer's market and the village inn. Brave people became soldiers, and turned weapons upon what once were their tormentors. For the first time, children grew up never knowing the pain of loss or battle or crimson claws and fangs.

Mankind may not have conquered the planet, but they have tamed it.

And growing so bored, they have now begun to fight each other.

Well, maybe not quite yet...we're saving that for the future.

Hello! Welcome to my second game on these forums: A World of Monsters! It's pretty similar in its most core form to Dusk Raven's game; you hunt monsters for a living while using the Living Legends rulebooks. In fairness, even if he got his game off the ground first, I'm the one who came up with the concept that inspired him. So we both won that battle, in a sense. Razz

I'll be looking for somewhere in between three and five players to play this game. I won't say it's a plotless affair, but there will be no grand overarching story by design...in other words, if there ends up being one, it was by accident. You want something like that, I suggest looking at my other game, Luna's Command - it's looking like I'll be needing a replacement or two momentarily. Still, if you want to play this game, keep reading - I've got a lot of info on the background setting here, and of course if you have any other questions about it that's what I'm here for.

Setting: The setting of the game is the country of Bending Tree, a small but prosperous mostly agrarian nation consisting of several sparse villages, one or two small cities, and a decentralized larger city home to his liege the Dictator Maragorn Phillipe, the generally benevolent (but not perfect) ruler of Bending Tree. Each city and village is surrounded by a large wall that does the job of keeping out all but the worst of what's out there, more detail of which shall be gone into later. The technology level is "Generally medieval, with occasional anachronism"; for example, each city and village in the nation of Bending Tree is connected by a railway system. The party shall start out in a smallish but quickly-growing city in Bending Tree called Verdant, and most of their adventures will eventually involve them going back home again, if not all of them. Verdant is somewhat distrustful towards psychics (Expanded on later), but not to the extent that they would produce an angry mob; most of the town's residents would be shocked and disgusted by a murder motivated by a hatred of psychics. The majority of Bending Tree worships the god Floragorn, a nature god of barklike skin, leafy hair, and somewhat forgiving disposition. The scant majority of the male populace is named something ending in "-agorn" in his honor. Bending Tree is a peaceful nation, by and large, but then again so is the rest of the planet, having just gotten their act together after a few thousand years of literally-monstrous oppression. Still...give it time...

Fantastic Elements: There is no such thing as magic in this world, though occasionally somebody is born with psychic powers. The populace, not having a frame of reference, doesn't know what to make of these and tends to call these powers magic, anyway. Whether these differently-born people are accepted as they are, celebrated as superhuman, or hunted down by mobs depends on where in the planet you're talking about. The substances in this world tend to have a variety of strange effects when mixed in various ways - melting two metals together may produce a substance that freezes when exposed to the air, while grinding three different types of nuts into powder and mixing them in water may produce a potion that causes the one who drinks it to fall into a deep sleep. Blacksmiths and Chemists have very interesting lives in this world. No gods are confirmed to exist, though (much like the real world) various gods and goddesses of various religions and cults are claimed to, including (of course) Floragorn. There are no sapient creatures besides humans in this world - house rules involving racial talents explained much further below.

Monsters: Technically another Fantastic Element, Monsters are important enough to get their own section in this list! Technically, a being of pure logic might note that as there are no "Regular" animals in this world, monsters would likely be called, well, "animals". A being of pure logic, however, would not understand the sheer terror these creatures once ruled the planet with - titans the size of mountains clashing with one another for a few feet of territory - creatures whose gaze, met unprotected, would cause instant death - invisible and intangible devourers of fear who would commit the most horrifying animosities, not fully understanding why they worked or how, in order to obtain their next meal. Thousands of years of these creatures de facto rulign the planet, almost breeding the fear of them into humans by accident.
Monsters.
That being said, humans have managed to survive and, by some odd quirk of time and space, even begin to make headway - perhaps it's in the way they've learned to connect with one another, like the way a swarm of rats might take down an elephant given the right incentive. A scant victory over a nightmare here, a greater victory over something nigh-indomitable and many-fanged there, and the very beginnings of culture and technological advancement and suddenly it's humans, against all odds, who are the de facto rules of the planet in modern times. The word "monster" is still used, because there's no reason to change it, but humans now say that word in the same tone of voice a human in our world might use the word "Animal".
Monsters now serve about the same fuctions to humans as animals in our world do, too - smaller ones are kept as pets and livestock, larger ones are hunted for pelts, meat, and materials for potions and smithing, and the very largest ones tend to be a rareish threat taken care of by the guilds. What are the guilds, you ask?

Guilds: The monsters in this world are now kept out by city walls, which are not just defensive measures but also somewhat sophisticated (Given the technology available) devices capable of repelling a variety of monsters, and guarded by members of the local guild (Getting to that explanation, give it a moment). However, as detailed above, monsters tend to have valuable components worth a lot of money, and so it is to be expected that alongside the jobs of barkeep, bard, scholar, thief, etc., there is the job of hunter. Hunters used to work in solitary, but as a natural result of consequences and time, eventually began banding together in more official capacities. The guilds of the world are dedicated to hunting monsters, whether for material, protection of their home city or to solve the problem of somebody willing to pay the guild an appropriate amount of money. (Occasionally, someone will come in with money and a problem not involving a monster. Usually, these problems are rare and well-paying enough that the guild will take them anyway, but as monsters become less and less of a problem in the future and humans spread further and further in number and technology...)
Guilds provide room, board, food and drink, training in various skills, and other amenities dependent on the guild in exchange for you (presuming you're a guildmember) doing your job and doing it well. Whether a guild will accept you into their ranks depends entirely upon the guild; besides an initial test of hunting skill most (but not all) guilds give out to their applicants, different guilds may have restricitons based on age, gender, religion, lineage, etc., etc.
It is, of course, possible to be a hunter and not belong to a guild. It's just incredibly difficult and gets you the labeled an idiot, is all.
The party will begin their game in Verdant's local guild: the Thorned Hunters. (Not the Thorny Hunters, as its guildmaster must frequently say.) The Thorned Guild is somewhat small for a city this size (3500 people or so), perhaps a dozen hunters at the most. It has no restrictions on joining save that you must be at least fifteen years old to join up; you're that old and you survive the initiation, you're in. Each member of the party has applied for the guild independently, each for their own reasons, and have never met each other before. The story shall start as the party is called in together and given their first assignment, the test that will prove whether or not they deserve to be full-fledged members.

House Rules: Everything shall be the same as in the Living Legends sourcebooks. There is, however, one cahnge in flavor I am making a necessity: as opposed to everyone being human and using the standard human racial template, you will instead receive eight "profession traits" that you may use to buy skills your character used at their previous profession(s) before joining up with this guild. In other words, genetic engineering is permitted and encouraged, but it won't be referred to as being a different race - you'll simply have had a different job before you became a hunter. Or else you've always been a hunter and are only now joining a guild.

So, to break it down, I'm looking for 3-5 people to play a combat-heavy game, with a justified and hopefully engaging plot, but not a deep or overarching one. Any questions? Any volunteers?

EDIT: This campaign does use the Talent Specialization System.

Player List:
Regina Reid by Marona!
Thorix by Lapis Lazily!
Alice Wooler by mjh6!
Leopold DeHavilland by Bronymous!
Rixa by Dusk Raven!

Last edited by AProcrastinatingWriter on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:52 am; edited 5 times in total
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!) Empty Re: LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!)

Post  Marona Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 pm

If there isn't any magic does this mean I can't be a summoner type character? I had already been thinking up a combat build for that. =[
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!) Empty Re: LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!)

Post  Dusk Raven Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:37 pm

The lack of magic puts a damper on my own plans as well... although I adore psionics. Still, I'd already had in mind a mostly martial character, just with magical enhancements. I can make do with mundane means or with some minor psychic powers... how do psychics work in this setting, by the way?
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 pm

Marona wrote:If there isn't any magic does this mean I can't be a summoner type character? I had already been thinking up a combat build for that. =[
You could always be a psychic capable of tearing holes in the fabric of space and time for your summons to fly through.Big Smiles, Sweetie 

Dusk Raven wrote:The lack of magic puts a damper on my own plans as well... although I adore psionics. Still, I'd already had in mind a mostly martial character, just with magical enhancements. I can make do with mundane means or with some minor psychic powers... how do psychics work in this setting, by the way?
Psychic powers allow for the standard telekinesis, telepathy, mind control, mind reading kind of thing.

They also allow for several unorthodox uses - as long as it doesn't involve creating matter of some sort or time travel, I'm probably cool with any kind of psychic flavoring you like. And of course there will be overlap with the whole crafting-system sort of thing we've got going on.

It should be noted that no known psychic has all of these abilities - most have one or two at max, and the special ones tend to max out at four special abilities.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:58 am

Perhaps I could be using psychic powers to be making psionic constructs out of my character's own thoughts, emotions, blah blah blah?

Edit: Is there any unofficial stuff we're allowed to use?
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:33 am

I suppose, thoguh technically "psychic constructs out of your own thoughts" involves "making matter", it's not really matter, so I think I could allow that in the same way I'd allow beams of telekinetic force? Yeah, that'd work just fine.

Second question: depends on what unoffical stuff you want to use.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:45 am

I didn't really have anything in mind when I asked. Talent Specialization? Paper Shadow's combat expansion? Those are the only things I've seen so far that need asking about on a not individual basis I guess.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:49 am

I think I can go ahead and say yes to both of those, presuming nobody has any objections.

I mean, if they do, we gotta talk this out and maybe not do it,

But I don't think they will.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:43 am

I present Regina Reid for your perusal.

I didn't bother renaming the conjurations because I will probably make up different things for them to be most of the time. Unless I decide to have her start naming them or something silly.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Ha ha! That is actually an amazing backstory. Nice.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Combat isn't done, here have a dude:

JJ
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Two questions.
1) Is it possible for a monster be sentient?
2) Can a sentient monster decide to help humanity by fighting his less sentient kin?
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Think of it this way: a sapient monster would be entirely like Combustion Man from Avatar: an anomaly you might occasionally see crop up, in the kind of way that obviously exists, but is also obviously against the "normal" rules of the world.

So the answer is yes to both...but if you're a monster, you're gonna be the only one I'm gonna let into our group, and it's unlikely that we'd ever encounter another such sapient, antagonistic or otherwise. It should also be noted that if someone else wanted to be a monster and got their stuff done first, you then would not be able to be a monster. Still, I think people will be able to respect the fact you called dibs, right?

Also note that unless your monster is capable of, say, disguising themselves as a human, they're going to end up in a very strange social situation, whether people are aware of your good intentions or not.

@Z2: Good work so far! I look forward to what you'll come up with when it comes to combat talents.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:06 pm

I can join as well, although I'm already in one of your campaigns so I dunno if you really want me...
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Id love to have anyone who wants in, including you, but seeing as I can only take five people at most if anybody besides you five wants in it's gonna start being a contest of "who can make the most interesting character." Unfortunate, but necessary.

...maybe if it's just one more person, I can do six. But we'll cross that bridge, etc.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Damn this has gotten me WELL interested!

Only problem is, what character should I use...
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:17 pm

The one with the second mouth
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Z2 Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Huh. I had kind of assumed non-human was off limits by virtue of the campaign saying 'humans only' from the very start. My first idea was a 'monster' (actually a pony) who used alter ego to fit in with, help, and guide the humans away from the worst conflicts. My second idea was what looked like a human/monster hybrid; if monster characters are actually allowed...
Z2
Z2
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:42 pm

This sounds cool! I've been meaning to try out the genetic engineering. If you still have space, I'd like to come up with a character.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Z2 wrote:Huh. I had kind of assumed non-human was off limits by virtue of the campaign saying 'humans only' from the very start. My first idea was a 'monster' (actually a pony) who used alter ego to fit in with, help, and guide the humans away from the worst conflicts. My second idea was what looked like a human/monster hybrid; if monster characters are actually allowed...
Monster characters are still not allowed. Lapis cared enough to ask if her character could be the one exception and I said that she could be. By nature of my acquiescence, however, there cannot be a second monster in the party.

I could still allow you to play your second idea depending upon the human/monster hybrid's origins. Be warned if it's simply "spawn of a human-monster relationship", I'm gonna disallow that right out of the gate. I would not allow the pony thing even if everybody could play as monsters, but you can make a straight monster otherwise with the understanding that I will have to choose between you and Lapis's characters, and even then Lapis must also be okay with that.

@mjh6: We are still recruiting in technicality, but with your interest and Fury's both well-expressed, we are now at two over maximum. I'm still taking applications, I just don't know who's going to end up playing. Please, if you want to play, go ahead and make a character. I'll be choosing the five most interesting to me from a pool of all available applicants and setting other interested parties and characters aside until the inevitable need for replacements comes around. Thank you for expressing interest!
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:30 am

Damn it, the one other person who thinks a magic-limited game would be cool, and I don't hear about it until way too late. I doubt I could come up with a competitive character to try and snag a slot.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

Post  Lapis-Lazily Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:40 am

I have completed my character, Thorix.
Lapis-Lazily
Lapis-Lazily
Overworked Designer
Overworked Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:26 am

Thorix is awesome.

Quick question. Will I be able to have this trait? (Via Training Certificate ofc)

Sentinel's Shield - Trait
When you conjure a Shield of Valor, you instead conjure a Sentinel Shield in your hands. You can dismiss the Sentinel Shield as a free action. While you are wielding a Sentinel Shield, you cannot use your normal combat talents. Instead you may use the combat talents below.

Trait - Protector’s Vow
Whenever you use a Standard talent, select one ally, they gain an Guardian Mark until the start of your next turn.

[+3] Bunker Down - Standard Utility
Gain Resist 2 until the end of your next turn, if you already have resist, increase the amount of resist you have by 2 instead. Select one ally, they gain a Guardian Mark until the end of your next turn.

[+1] Shield Smash - Standard Attack
Deal 1d8 damage to target enemy, they receive a -3 penalty to damage until the end of your next turn.

[-2] Guardian's Duty - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger – An ally is targeted by an attack.
Affect: The triggering attack hits you instead. If target ally has a Guardian Mark, you may remove that mark to reduce the PiP cost of this move by 2 or take half damage from the triggering attack.

[-2] Martyr's Inspiration - Reaction Utility
Trigger - You take damage from an enemy
Effect - Target ally gains that many temporary hit points

[-X] Under the Aegis - Immediate Interrupt
Trigger - Multiple allies would be hit by the same attack
Effect: Pay X PiPs equal to the amount of allies hit. The attack targets and hits you instead. For each ally after the first, damage taken is increased by 25%. If a target ally has a Guardian Mark, you may remove that mark to reduce the PiP cost of this move by 1.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:53 am

I know I said I'd join, but with this many people I dunno if I'll make it in.

So, my basic concept was a low-level psychic who used telekinesis to wield weapons in ways he normally couldn't - say, using a blade way bigger than he normally could swing, or throwing knives that he can make return to him... afraid I can't beat the others in backstory, though.
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Bronymous wrote:Damn it, the one other person who thinks a magic-limited game would be cool, and I don't hear about it until way too late. I doubt I could come up with a competitive character to try and snag a slot.
Hey, it couldn't' hurt to try. You might surprise yourself!

Lapis-Lazily wrote:I have completed my character, Thorix.
Looks good! The only problem is now I have to come up with an answer as to your existence. jocolor 
As a more serious problem, I cant' seem to figure out where the two extra points in your attributes come from. Each one starts at 5, and you get 8 to spread among them, so I can see Brawn or Knowledge either being 10, but the other one would only be able to go up to 8.
Not a problem, but a question: does the guild know about your, er, condition? In other words, did you tell them about it? If you did, did you ask them to keep it a secret, tell everyone they could, or did you not care?

Fury of the Tempest wrote:Thorix is awesome.

Quick question. Will I be able to have this trait? (Via Training Certificate ofc)

-snip-
Yes you may. Good luck!

Dusk Raven wrote:I know I said I'd join, but with this many people I dunno if I'll make it in.

So, my basic concept was a low-level psychic who used telekinesis to wield weapons in ways he normally couldn't - say, using a blade way bigger than he normally could swing, or throwing knives that he can make return to him... afraid I can't beat the others in backstory, though.
Sounds really cool to me! As for the backstory...well, see the advice I gave Bronymous. Smile
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next