Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!)

+7
Fury of the Tempest
Paper Shadow
Lapis-Lazily
Z2
Dusk Raven
Marona
AProcrastinatingWriter
11 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!) - Page 3 Empty Re: LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!)

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Could be a DBZ kind of moment, charging up for a big hit that may or may not come. Or injecting yourself with an experimental serum, or jogging in place.

I guess if the deadline is in a week, I can try putting in for something. Gut reaction is my traditional LE Ranger type deal, or I can repurpose my Sandbox character, like Fury. I'd ask what is and isn't needed, but since no one has a definite slot yet...

Expect flavoring soon, and a build a little after.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!) - Page 3 Empty Re: LL - A World of Monsters (We are...wait for it...no longer recruiting!)

Post  mjh6 Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks, Bronymous. I think I'd go with the charging flavor here ( wouldn't trust Alice with any sort of chemicals)Maybe, since its Critfisher, the idea is that she is trying to pull off her very difficult special attack which involves bombarding the target with images, and if it doesn't work just refocusing attention elsewhere. That sounds like what it would be like.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm

I would have thought people would do more with the other options too. So I guess to answer Paper Shadow's question, I will give the non-answer of neither. I hope my useless opinion helps. =]
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Paper Shadow Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Marona wrote:I would have thought people would do more with the other options too. So I guess to answer Paper Shadow's question, I will give the non-answer of neither. I hope my useless opinion helps. =]
That doesn't exactly help with moving me forward. What part of them didn't you like?
Paper Shadow
Paper Shadow
Smile Like You Mean It
Smile Like You Mean It

Back to top Go down

Post  Marona Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 pm

What? I was just fooling around. Though I guess "the Ranger" has been done quite a bit. I guess if you're going to force me to have been trying to say anything serious at all it would be that we should at least have someone taking advantage of the unique blacksmithing or alchemy options of the setting. Though I dunno, maybe people don't play the ranger archetype much here? *shrug* I guess I can say I didn't like your second idea because I think it'd put us in competition for a spot in the game. Nothing wrong with the idea itself though.
Marona
Marona
Very Important Pony
Very Important Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:27 pm

I have completed flavouring Arcantos!

I have to admit, the flavour actually made me change my Cloud Chaser to Companion.

I'm gonna have to give Arcantos the pet trait at level 2 as well...

I really, really hope I'll get access to either more traits or more money than what is normal... or I can buff Arcantos's companion through in-game means.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Sorry for the delays, I'm just having trouble thinking of a combat build... and utility talents... and racials...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:45 pm

You could always reflavour an old character.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I go away for four hours...

Spoiler:

Paper Shadow wrote:My problem is that I have two character concepts, but I don't know which to expand. One fits the traditional ranger sub-type (green cloak, crossbow, the works), and can build Sense (which is the only stat we don't have 10 in yet), but will basically just be adding more damage to the group's combat-ness, while the other is a writer and artist trying to make some sort of monsterpedia or record tales of the monster slaying, but he'd have Knowledge as a main stat, which we already have a lot of. However, he'd also be a dedicated support, which is kinda really needed in a combat-focused campaign...
Hmmmm...

Well, to be honest, I think we actually have both things...maybe not covered, but there's gonna be overlap no matter what you choose, I'm pretty sure. Let's make the test more simple than "What will the party need most"; which one do you like better on flavor alone?

mjh6 wrote:Okay, so you got any ideas for a (semi) reformed thief?

In particular, I've been having some trouble flavoring Critfisher and Sunburst.Heck, even in normal play, I'm not entirely certain what Critfisher looks like in universe. Just standing around trying to psych yourself up?
Bronymous's flavor regards Critfisher certainly works - so would calling it "Bag Rummage". On failures, you're set up for whatever you do next turn, and on successes you can just pull something out of the bag for your critmove! As for Sunburst...hmmm....oh! You could have a monster made of light, like a fairy-like being, trapped in a jar, and whenever you want some flavorful companionship or else you want to use that move, you open the jar!

Or you could just be good with explosive potions, and the sight of such an explosion is pretty inspiring. Or something else.

Dusk Raven wrote:Sorry for the delays, I'm just having trouble thinking of a combat build... and utility talents... and racials...
Want me to pencil you in for a PM-based brainstorming session? :O
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:44 pm

Oooh, I like the fairy-monster idea a lot! It would also be good to have someone for Alice to talk to honestly I hereby dub this fairy-monster "Sunburst", and reflavor the attack something like "Sunburst Surprise"

Okay, I need to go modify Alice's history. I should also put in what she actually tells people her back-story is (since she is trying to avoid being arrested.)
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 pm

AProcrastinatingWriter wrote:
Dusk Raven wrote:Sorry for the delays, I'm just having trouble thinking of a combat build... and utility talents... and racials...
Want me to pencil you in for a PM-based brainstorming session? :O
I'll... think of something. For the combat, anyway. I know I'll want Telekinesis, and Precise Telekinesis if I'm going the throwing-knife route...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Dusk Raven wrote: I know I'll want Telekinesis, and Precise Telekinesis if I'm going the throwing-knife route...
First ranger, then this. Everyone just keep taking my go-to's, it's fine. I'll just end up with some one-armed banker with a napoleon complex and a walking stick.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Bronymous wrote:
Dusk Raven wrote: I know I'll want Telekinesis, and Precise Telekinesis if I'm going the throwing-knife route...
First ranger, then this. Everyone just keep taking my go-to's, it's fine. I'll just end up with some one-armed banker with a napoleon complex and a walking stick.
Thinking of re-using some aspects of Pheonix? The throwing knives aren't essential, I'm more going for the BFS... just screams "monster hunter" right there...
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Fury, I've been thinking about it and have come to the conclusion that I've a slight problem with your character's flavor, unfortunately. Well, potentially. Depends on how you answer this question.

Under this world's general technology level (Decidedly not futuristic), is there a way using potions or materials to have your apparent jetpack (for lack of a better term) work like it does? Because...that's pretty darn future-y. I know I said this world was generally medieval with occasional anachronism, but I wasn't planning on having iPhones around, and stuff that still remains somewhere in our future is therefore right out...

...unless, of course, you can think of a way to justify it given the rules I've given, which are vague enough that you should be able to finangle something or other, hopefully. Or you could just say Simba flies you places, whichever works.
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:22 pm

If someone can take a beast's wings, and use them to fly, I think someone can use air repulsing metal to make a pesudo-jetpack.

That is well, well to complicated for anyone else to use.

Or, you know. The metal's have to be charged with physic energy before use, and the device is attuned to Arc's specific psychic energy.

I can't say that Simba flies him places as A. That means that Simba has to be there in order for him to fly, which is a bit of a hamper, and B, Simba is a size of a house cat.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:48 pm

"Too complicated for anyone else to use" implies that it being unique to you would be more likely to be permitted, which is not true.

As to air-repelling metal, I apologize; I didn't see where you'd mentioned that before just now. I assume that to turn the metal's air-repelling properties on, you run some of Simba's electricity through it?
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:51 pm

I assume that to turn the metal's air-repelling properties on, you run some of Simba's electricity through it?
Unless Arcantos can also create a rechargable battery that Simba can fill, so he can power the device without Simba, than no.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:19 am

Dusk Raven wrote:Thinking of re-using some aspects of Pheonix? The throwing knives aren't essential, I'm more going for the BFS... just screams "monster hunter" right there...
No, Phoenix isn't my Ranger, Horizon is (see Zilean's Revenge), though Phoenix is also in use, and they both are very similar in personality and fighting styles. They both use Throwing Knives, because Throwing Knives are great (Phoenix's explode though, so nyeh), and you should totally use them. As it's going right now, my character here is probably not going to be much of a fighter more than support of some kind, and won't use a weapon, let alone the knives. One-Armed Banker with a stick and a complex is actually starting to take shape, kind of.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:16 am

Fury of the Tempest wrote:
I assume that to turn the metal's air-repelling properties on, you run some of Simba's electricity through it?

Unless Arcantos can also create a rechargable battery that Simba can fill, so he can power the device without Simba, than no.
Hmm. How do you stop the metal repelling the air when you don't want to be flying, then?

(At this point, you're long justified, I'm just asking out of curiosity.)
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:06 am

Have Simba stop charging it/remove the battery.
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusk Raven Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Okay, I've finally got a backstory up, I'll let APW pass judgement on that before I break my brain thinking of utility talents...

Spoiler:
Dusk Raven
Dusk Raven
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Fury of the Tempest Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:04 pm

Well, I like the background!
Fury of the Tempest
Fury of the Tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:16 pm

That sounds interesting Dusk Raven! And if your having trouble picking utility talents...

My first instinct for her would be a psychic flavored Physical Prowess and/or Yee-Haw. Other than that, I'm not sure. Rixa seems to be trying to avoid the obviously psychic abilities, which limits you a bit, but maybe supporting abilities or woodsman traits would work. Have you chosen her racials or attribute yet?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Ok, I have the backstory down for my guy, Leopold DeHavilland.
Leopold DeHavilland:
TL;DR A Two-Armed Banker with a split personality disorder and a Stick.
I have most of his non-combat stuff done, Haven't started on combat. I'm thinking something that focuses on status effects, and has a pip battery or warlord support option. I'm open to suggestions.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AProcrastinatingWriter Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:06 pm

You guys are really going the extra mile on backstory, huh? Maybe I should hold "most interesting character contests" more often. Razz

Spoiler:
AProcrastinatingWriter
AProcrastinatingWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next