Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The League (LL) (PbP) (No Longer Recruiting)

+7
AProcrastinatingWriter
TheCavalry
A1C Bronymous
Paper Shadow
Dusk Raven
ZamuelNow
Crystalite
11 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

The League (LL) (PbP) (No Longer Recruiting) - Page 7 Empty Re: The League (LL) (PbP) (No Longer Recruiting)

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Elacular wrote:Alright, I think I have everything done but the picture. Tell me if there's anything wrong that you guys can see.

Meet Dr. Calvin Spencer.

Edit: I saw that two people already had Enchanting, so for the purpose of variety I replaced it and my freaky knowledge (which probably wasn't going to help anyone) with a reflavored Terrify. Also, since Shoot already has kindness, do you think I should take Honesty instead? Both made sense for Cal to have.

Wow, Retro, Heromachine 2. Well if both makes sense, then of course go for variety. How many times do we expect to use kindness in a superhero game? (Hint: We beat up bad guys, not talk them down. That's police negotiators' angle).
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous
Air Commander, Equestrian Armies Pegasus Corps, Eastern Skies Command

Back to top Go down

The League (LL) (PbP) (No Longer Recruiting) - Page 7 Empty Re: The League (LL) (PbP) (No Longer Recruiting)

Post  Elacular Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Yep, I see your point. The main reason I didn't want to give him honesty is because there is no way in hell barring divine meddling that Cal'd be able to make someone helpless on his own. Also, I used hero machine two partly because I know it way better than v3 and partly because I couldn't figure out how to make him not totally ripped in v3. Obviously, v2 is a fair exaggeration as well, but it was better.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:50 pm

He's fully clothed, you can't even tell if he's ripped or not. If you get the right coat, sleeves, and pant legs, you can even mask the shape of his alleged jacked-ness. Also there're a few alternate body choices which solve the "Greek God" issue, if you can make the clothes fit.

EDIT:
Something I just considered, but I need input. Phoenix can go without telekinesis, as it is one of his more advanced and out of place abilites, and he is supposed to have another technique called Hawkeye (no relation to the talent). The technique itself is sort of a superpower, and amounts to being Bullseye from Daredevil- impossible marksmanship with thrown weapons (He specialized with throwing knives). Input required, do you think I should drop telekinesis, since we don't need too many people to have it, and make up a Hawkeye ability; and what kind of NonCombat applications do you think it could have. Obviously fighting with throwing knives falls under combat, but tripping someone up or conking them in the head with a rock from a distance should be pretty useful.

Last edited by Bronymous on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:53 pm

In that case, I think I'll give it another try. Later though.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Elacular wrote:Edit: I saw that two people already had Enchanting, so for the purpose of variety I replaced it and my freaky knowledge (which probably wasn't going to help anyone) with a reflavored Terrify.

Enchanting has a lot of different options so if people aren't taking the exact same enchantments, overlap isn't that big of an issue.

Bronymous wrote:How many times do we expect to use kindness in a superhero game? (Hint: We beat up bad guys, not talk them down. That's police negotiators' angle).

Pending on the situation, plenty. Any ally that's been mind controlled or perhaps the better example is the "two heroes who've never met are tricked into fighting each other" trope. Kindness is a better stand-in for the system's lack of a true integrity skill so the unwary trust you. And there's always that henchman leaning on the edge of reform. All that said, Honesty is that skill that's nice to have if you aren't the one stuck with it.

Bronymous wrote:Something I just considered, but I need input. Phoenix can go without telekinesis, as it is one of his more advanced and out of place abilites, and he is supposed to have another technique called Hawkeye (no relation to the talent). The technique itself is sort of a superpower, and amounts to being Bullseye from Daredevil- impossible marksmanship with thrown weapons (He specialized with throwing knives). Input required, do you think I should drop telekinesis, since we don't need too many people to have it, and make up a Hawkeye ability; and what kind of NonCombat applications do you think it could have. Obviously fighting with throwing knives falls under combat, but tripping someone up or conking them in the head with a rock from a distance should be pretty useful.

FK: Knives, Throwing sounds pretty good actually. Any sort of non-combat cutting usage would be a good thing. Allows you to identify knives for any investigative moments. If you're feeling creative and the GM is lenient, you can double as the team locksmith. Plus, there's always those moments when combat is treated as non-combat skill challenges.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Where the bullseye thing is concerned, one, it's one of the only things that stupid movie got right. And two, since FK gives you two things you could have Knives and Accuracy. I guess. It's a bit of a stretch, but it's what I'd do. And I'm not too upset about losing enchanting. It didn't fit in very well with my character's "intelligent everyman" feel and it gave me a good way to get rid of my own freaky knowledge which would have probably just sat around being useless. So it all works out.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:04 pm

Those could be doable, but as he said in that stupid movie, "I never miss". Even though he did, I was hoping to get something more along the lines of actually never miss ever, which would require a custom ability. But I'll take FK: Knives, Accuracy if it comes down to it.

Requires DM input, assuming he hasn't died from the flu yet.

EDIT:
Does Shoot happen to look like this?
Spoiler:
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Crystalite Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Thank you for posting character sheets, I will post in the morning.

@ZamuelNow: Yes to Special Abilities. Spellbook... I dunno. For now, assume it's still useful.

@ APW: I love Shoot. I'm going to call foul on mind-screw resistance, though. I've tried it, it's really just kinda awkward. It would, at the very leaat, have to be an X/day or Skill Check talent, rather than just flat immunity or vague "resistance".

@ Elacular: ...Dammit, I wanted to put a Disability on that! But you already justified it flawlessly! I don't know what to do...

@ Bronymous: Hawkeye? Yeah, what Zamuel said. Kindness? You haven't seen some of the villians getting cooked up. Sometimes it's nice to use Kindness, and then take the 5 Minutes and just run the hell away.
Crystalite
Crystalite
Celestia's Disciple

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Sorry. I kinda knew Cal would have a disability in his legs right away, so this campaign just seemed perfect for it. You can add something else on top of it if you like.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:47 pm

Crystalite wrote:Bronymous: Hawkeye? Yeah, what Zamuel said.
I can do that. FK Knives and Throwing Accuracy it is.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:50 pm

Crystalite wrote:@ APW: I love Shoot. I'm going to call foul on mind-screw resistance, though. I've tried it, it's really just kinda awkward. It would, at the very leaat, have to be an X/day or Skill Check talent, rather than just flat immunity or vague "resistance".

Or at least the Virtue of Indomitability would be an option.

I can understand the issue on both sides. I've played a psychic while I've also been GM for a group with a super min-maxy player with psychic immunity. I would propose that on the GM side, you have ways that it can be resisted through rolls instead of a player having no defense at all. Technically, the proposed skill revamp would be a little better since it has a will stat but that would require forcing everyone to rebuild their stat blocks.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:55 pm

I don't even want to know what you mean by "proposed skill revamp"- more crap I'll have to change, and I'm not even over Abilities yet.

Anyway, noticed a discrepancy with my sheet that puts me 4 points over budget, so I'll have to re-evaluate how I'm going to work in FK Daggers and Chucking Good.

EDIT: Ooooh I forgot something. Speaking of Disabilities and Custom Abilities, how would custom flaws work? Does the Giver hand out negative effects with his gifts?
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 am

Well, Consequences are kinda like flaws. Serena has a 12 in Brawn, but is extra vulnerable to telepathy and mind affecting abilities.
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 am

Bronymous wrote:I don't even want to know what you mean by "proposed skill revamp"

https://ponytales.forumotion.com/t858p30-a-brand-new-system-official-announcement#77990

While I think it's better than the current set (I've been pretty vocal on feeling they need an update in most discussions) I can't say players should have to switch to it since it's untested and, as said, they have to shift builds around.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:15 am

So basically once again deviating from a core concept of the original system. I would say I'm ok with dropping Persuasion as a skill, but I've been in Skype games, and I know that most players can't vocalize as well as would be needed for an authentic non-skill based persuasion attempt. Would lead to "Shut up, don't talk to him, I'm the best talker", instead of "highest persuasion".

mjh6 wrote:Well, Consequences are kinda like flaws. Serena has a 12 in Brawn, but is extra vulnerable to telepathy and mind affecting abilities.
Well I'm looking at a potential extra few ability points instead of Attributes- Phoenix isn't any more physically or mentally skilled than most kids his age.
Nothing to see here:

Last edited by Bronymous on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Elacular Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 am

Yeah, I can see that. I always like having characters with high persuade because I love roleplaying persuasion. That's part of why I gave Cal mad debate skillz yo. Because it's fun. And I do think that that's one of those things that can really benefit from pure roleplaying.

...Then again, with no dice rolls involved, we don't get hilarious scenarios where a character makes an awe inspiring argument and then gets a nat one. I've been on the receiving end of those more than I like to admit.
Elacular
Elacular
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 am

Brony, are you sure you're overbudget? Looks ok to me, although you seem to have tricks of the trade listed twice...
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:37 am

Bronymous wrote:I would say I'm ok with dropping Persuasion as a skill, but I've been in Skype games, and I know that most players can't vocalize as well as would be needed for an authentic non-skill based persuasion attempt.

*shrug* I've seen likewise in a different system with tabletop. A good GM will add circumstance bonuses/penalties for the attempt and will still limit actual rolls due to moments that make sense. And practice makes perfect on both sides.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:54 am

Oh hey it is on there twice. Well that's good, now I just need to decide if I drop both of them, or shift some other abilities around. I wonder what I can get for 1 or 2 points...
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:55 am

mjh6 wrote:Brony, are you sure you're overbudget? Looks ok to me, although you seem to have tricks of the trade listed twice...
Something I usually do as I do a build is to put <number> next to each talent, adding it's cost to the total sum of all before it. For example:

Every Shape And Size (3) - 3/Day [Inspired by Copper Rose]<3>
Preparation Time: 1 Minute
You become a Size of your choosing for the next hour.

Size Matters Not (1)
<4>
Prerequisite: Every Shape And Size
When you use Every Shape And Size, you may expend a Magic Point to change up to six allies to the same size for the same duration.

One Size Fits All (4)
<8>
Prerequisite: Size Matters Not
You may use Every Shape And Size at will.

It's a very useful trick, and makes it nigh impossible to overpurchase.
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:09 am

Ok, 30 points, FK: Shanks, Dropping with Style added. Last point went to Its Almost Like Flying, but I only plan on using it once or twice as "Arrest Momentum", which is a neat little trick I thought up.

Still need to see about that flaw though.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:13 am

So that's two fliers in the group? Are you also intending on taking further flying talents at further levels?
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:30 am

Well, I actually have no particular plans to take more flying talents. Since I believe Crystalite said I can use Athletics as her flying skill, the -10 penalty doesn't hurt as much as if she was using Arcana, plus I think it fits her to be not so great at flying. She can do it if necessary, but its not the focus of her attention.

Also, are you planning to use its Almost like flying to avoid damage from falls, or is the trick something else?
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  A1C Bronymous Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:34 am

I'm not planning on flying period. Arrest momentum is an active technique that allows him to stop all movement and momentum at a given time- say, two feet off the ground after falling off a three story roof. That's what this is- basically a less powerful version of that "no falling damage" ability.

Actually levitating, hovering, or flying are all beyond him, and I don't plan on using it for such now or ever.

EDIT: Ninja'd, nailed it.
A1C Bronymous
A1C Bronymous

Back to top Go down

Post  mjh6 Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 am

So... is there a reason to not just take Airborne then?

edit, oh right, you already have Fireborn. Only one elemental resistance. Why is the no falling damage ability an elemental resistance again?

Last edited by mjh6 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)
mjh6
mjh6
Newbie Designer
Newbie Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next