Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hooved Adventurers [Signup]

+8
lyric
XandZero2
Cainx13
MirrorImage
The Warrior of Many Faces
Stairc -Dan Felder
Ramsus
Masterweaver
12 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Hooved Adventurers [Signup] - Page 2 Empty Re: Hooved Adventurers [Signup]

Post  Masterweaver Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Yes you can choose Zebra, and rolling admissions for now.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Masterweaver wrote:Yes you can choose Zebra, and rolling admissions for now.

Excellent. When shall we expect the first post then?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:40 pm

I might have one final change to make depending on people's *looks at Stairc* thoughts on my idea for a Changeling Utility.
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:45 pm

...The campaign is up, StairC. You can post at any time.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Ramsus wrote:I might have one final change to make depending on people's *looks at Stairc* thoughts on my idea for a Changeling Utility.

I love it.

Masterweaver wrote:...The campaign is up, StairC. You can post at any time.

Ah, I figured you were just setting the mood and we'd get something extra. Well then, expect a post at some point. Smile
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Yay! Ok then, swapped in Quick-change and removed Cunning Disguise. I can always pick that up later. Once we level up. Depending. *shrug*

Edit: Even if it was for entirely self-serving reasons I'm glad I've finally contributed something besides criticisms to the project.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:20 pm

Ramsus wrote:Yay! Ok then, swapped in Quick-change and removed Cunning Disguise. I can always pick that up later. Once we level up. Depending. *shrug*

Edit: Even if it was for entirely self-serving reasons I'm glad I've finally contributed something besides criticisms to the project.

*laughs* I'm glad for every great idea, no matter what the reason!

Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  MirrorImage Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:32 am

Alright, I'm tossing a character together now, though I've decided that I'm going Zebra instead of Goat.

That means if I fail to post in a reasonable amount of time, it's because my thesaurus isn't giving me good rhymes. Very Happy
MirrorImage
MirrorImage
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:40 am

Hey Mirror Image,

I hope it's okay to have two Zebras, because I already called one and made a character sheet. I really don't want to make another.

Where are the other players' character sheets by the way? I could find Stairc's, but I can't find anyone elses, so I can't tell if my character's going to be beneficial for the team comp. I can always go for a more offensive attack set if need be, but right now I'm more of a mix of support/offense.

Here's the link to my current character. Hopefully you guys can access it easily. It's been a while sense I had reason to use Google Docs.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ploTvU5ncHgb3uKIrzyCI2YpzF340sLDIWLhdeLfVgA/edit

Last edited by XandZero2 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Needed to add a sentence.)
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  MirrorImage Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:57 am

Ah, didn't see you call Zebra. Go ahead and take it. I was having issues with Goat simply because there aren't enough generic talents to suit my idea. Guess I'm going Buffalo then.
MirrorImage
MirrorImage
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:20 am

Sweet. I want to see Buffalo playtested anyway.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:09 am

Our sheets should all be in this thread one way or another. Some of us just aren't using google docs (perhaps because we don't know how and are too lazy to learn).

Edit: Oh deer gods. Is it really going to be a thing where ALL zebras rhyme all the time?
Edit 2: We have a lot of persuasion on this team don't we?
Edit 3: We have two elements of Laughter? There is so no way that will end poorly I'm sure.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  MirrorImage Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 am

Ramsus wrote:Our sheets should all be in this thread one way or another. Some of us just aren't using google docs (perhaps because we don't know how and are too lazy to learn).

Edit: Oh deer gods. Is it really going to be a thing where ALL zebras rhyme all the time?
Edit 2: We have a lot of persuasion on this team don't we?
Edit 3: We have two elements of Laughter? There is so no way that will end poorly I'm sure.

I don't THINK you'll have to rhyme constantly, but it's play-by-post so there's no reason not to give it a shot at least.
MirrorImage
MirrorImage
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Oops... I accidentally cut this post.

If you want to know what I posted here, look below.

Last edited by XandZero2 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : New post)
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:23 pm

XandZero2 wrote:Wow, before now, I had no idea that the "Spoiler" things were actually drop-down bars. You learn something new every day.

But yeah, thanks for giving me the Zebra MI. Also, if you guys think I should change anything on my character to better synergize with the team, let me know. I didn't notice any healing/reviving abilities on anyone yet - so hopefully my character will be of use (:

On a final note, if anyone has a problem with two Elements of Laughter in the party, I can always change mine. I think that element best fits Z-Rock's personality though.

Twice the laughter is twice the fun. I approve. Also, your character looks great.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Stairc, that's good to hear.

I just thought of something else I wanted to ask about though - and that's the ground rules for a play-by-post (since I haven't done this much before and I'm equal parts excited and ignorant - a dangerous combination, to say the least):

1. Okay, so for one thing, how are we going to do random chance in a play-by-post? Are we going to tell the GM what we're planning and have him crunch numbers, or will it be more of a free-form "just don't get carried away" kind of thing?

2. Also, I wanted to ask everyone's thoughts about taking control of someone else's character. Is it okay to control them in your own post as long as the player's cool with it? Probably should avoid making any big decisions for them too, but I was just wondering what the call was on that.

3. Finally, is there a reasonable time we should give for people to comment on our posts before we post something new? I ask because I know that the few times I've played this type of RP in the past, at times the more over-eager among us have kind of taken the reigns of the whole adventure by posting over and over again without giving others time to respond (usually I was the culprit - but that's neither here nor there).
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:51 pm

XandZero2 wrote:1. Okay, so for one thing, how are we going to do random chance in a play-by-post? Are we going to tell the GM what we're planning and have him crunch numbers, or will it be more of a free-form "just don't get carried away" kind of thing?

Vell, you can roll to try to do something, but the GM will describe the results. If I need to have you roll something like perception, I'll probably roll it myself.

XandZero2 wrote:2. Also, I wanted to ask everyone's thoughts about taking control of someone else's character. Is it okay to control them in your own post as long as the player's cool with it? Probably should avoid making any big decisions for them too, but I was just wondering what the call was on that.

In general, avoid controlling another player's character.

XandZero2 wrote:3. Finally, is there a reasonable time we should give for people to comment on our posts before we post something new? I ask because I know that the few times I've played this type of RP in the past, at times the more over-eager among us have kind of taken the reigns of the whole adventure by posting over and over again without giving others time to respond (usually I was the culprit - but that's neither here nor there).

I usually post two or three times a day, but that's me. This is really a matter of personal preference. At this point I want to wait until all players introduce themselves before I GM anything more. However there are a few ground rules:

1. No Ping Pong. XYXY doesn't work. XYZXYZ is a bit better, but make sure that W gets to participate.
2. Do try to post at least once a day once you start posting. Trust me, on forum boards once a week can kill a campaign. Also read all the posts posted.
3. Rules are made so that you THINK before you break them. If you have a DANG GOOD REASON, you can violate rules, but it had better be dang good. Else the GM is gonna break out the big meanies.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:14 pm

I think I'm about satisfied with my character now. Note to everyone, in MW's game - you can't change your character after it starts; so make sure you've got something you like. That's why I delayed my first post, I wanted to make sure I had him where I wanted him.

On another note, here's the character I'm running for my guest star appearance in Lapis Lazily's game.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Wouldn't it actually be up to MW if we can change stuff about our characters after we start? Not that I'd assume he'd allow it either but, certain GMs are ok with changing basically anything as long as it hasn't been important yet and others are against changing anything at all once a game starts.

In response to Xand's questions.
1)The GM is probably rolling unless A) He trusts us to roll for things ourselves and state the result or B) someone implements some kind of built in rolling into the forum (I know some forums have this like the GitP forum). Though off-screen rolling is always going to end up handled by the GM anyway.

2) Yeah, even in the case someone says they're cool with you controlling their character for something, it only pertains to that one specific instance and should never be taken as an allowance to continue doing so.

3) I've always gone with just whatever makes sense. If it makes sense for two characters to continue talking while they wait for the other players to give input it's usually fine but, they still do have to wait for everyone else. So, if you say something which all of the characters in a game could respond to, generally you can't move on from that scene until everyone has. That way you don't end up with things where someone had something rather important to say/do and was skipped.

Edit: Nice Stairc, lol.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Exactly Ramsus. MW made it very, very clear that he's utterly against changing characters after the start over Skype last night. Hence the delay in my posting till now. I just wanted to let everyone know so it wouldn't come as a surprise later. Personally, I love letting people fiddle with abilities - so I didn't want anyone following the Mystery at Winter's End campaign to assume that the same thing would apply here.

Also, Posted. Smile

1) Yep, I expect the GM will roll in most cases. Just faster.

2) No major actions or dialogue of course, but minor things (like crashing into somepony hiding behind you) are usually alright. Always try to err on the side of caution with this.

3) Same as above. I also prefer to split the party when possible in such games and plan for it, running in two different threads. A pair of 2-player-threads go much faster than one 4-player thread and lead to more enjoyment for everyone. But in general, only plot-important moments tend to be worth waiting for the other person for. They can always just be staring poetically off into space.

EDIT - Thanks Ramsus. It was a lot of fun to make. I just joked about running a character called Pony Stark and then the whole group insisted it had to happen.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 pm

You know that you now have to make Pinkie Hulk right? Because, "You wouldn't like me when I'm Happy." is just.... heehee.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:55 pm

Ramsus wrote:You know that you now have to make Pinkie Hulk right? Because, "You wouldn't like me when I'm Happy." is just.... heehee.

*laughs* That could be awesome.

Steed Rogers: "Pinky, I think now might be a good time for you to get happy."

Pinky: "That's my secret Steed... I'm always happy."

Later...

Gilda the Moderator: "Enough! You are, all of you are beneath me! I am a moderator you dull creature, and I shall not be pranked--"

Pinky flattens Gilda under a barrage of confetti from her party-cannon

Pinky: "... Puny Mod."
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:05 pm

Argh. Laughing. Too. Hard.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:07 pm

Ramsus wrote:Argh. Laughing. Too. Hard.

*laughs* I try. Thanks for the idea.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:12 pm

Hmmm, PonyTrax? Has potential.

...and now I am mildly tempted to have Outcast introduce herself with a different name to each character.

Think I'll let someone else post and just include my response to multiple people at once as opposed to giving in to temptation and posting every other time, even if I can. Afterall, XYXY is agreed to be not good and XYXZXZXYXZX is probably not much better. =P
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next