Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hooved Adventurers [Signup]

+8
lyric
XandZero2
Cainx13
MirrorImage
The Warrior of Many Faces
Stairc -Dan Felder
Ramsus
Masterweaver
12 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Hooved Adventurers [Signup] - Page 3 Empty Re: Hooved Adventurers [Signup]

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:15 pm

Ramsus wrote:Hmmm, PonyTrax? Has potential.

...and now I am mildly tempted to have Outcast introduce herself with a different name to each character.

Think I'll let someone else post and just include my response to multiple people at once as opposed to giving in to temptation and posting every other time, even if I can. Afterall, XYXY is agreed to be not good and XYXZXZXYXZX is probably not much better. =P

Personally, I don't mind a side-conversation. The policeman isn't exactly addressing you, so it doesn't really make sense to wait for the rockstar zebra to post before your reply. But, of course, up to you.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Well, as long as I can point the finger of blame at you it's fine. =)
Ramsus
Ramsus
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Ramsus wrote:Well, as long as I can point the finger of blame at you it's fine. =)

*laughs* I'm pretty sure a side-conversation that doesn't involve the other player is fine to keep posting in. If I turn out to be wrong about this, I'll take full responsibility.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:11 pm

As long as we don't end up resorting to trying to use He Did It! out of character, I'm sure all will be fine.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:26 pm

XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:37 pm

XandZero2 wrote:

http://mrtopp.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/pony_stark.jpg

^Have you seen this. I think you'll appreciate it (;

*laughs* yes, I have. It's awesome.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:53 am

*is waiting on Stairc but suddenly realizes Stairc might be waiting on me*
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:58 am

Ramsus wrote:*is waiting on Stairc but suddenly realizes Stairc might be waiting on me*

Aha! In that case I'll post.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Mirror Mirror on the wall, who's the latest to the game of all? (Ok, so faceyface hasn't shown up either.)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:08 pm

^Well, I'm enjoying how things are going so far whatever the case. I've actually never done anything quite like this before. The other forum RPs I've been in were a lot more story based. We kind of made character sheets, but we never had dice come into the equation.

Sorry I was a little too controlling at the beginning. I think I'm getting the hang of this now (:

BTW - Man, it's interesting to try and rhyme all the time. That's part of the fun of playing a Zebra - although I will say this, I'm really surprised the Zebra race didn't get an ability specifically called "Zebra Sense." Perhaps that could be an idea for a race-specific utility feat? Something like +10 to awareness checks when attempting to be ambushed or caught off guard?
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:33 pm

XandZero2 wrote:
BTW - Man, it's interesting to try and rhyme all the time. That's part of the fun of playing a Zebra - although I will say this, I'm really surprised the Zebra race didn't get an ability specifically called "Zebra Sense." Perhaps that could be an idea for a race-specific utility feat? Something like +10 to awareness checks when attempting to be ambushed or caught off guard?

Zebras are still in development, that's part of the reason we're playtesting this. Feel free to suggest any and all changes in the races subforum, I'm really excited to see new ideas.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Do you still have room? Which races are left to choose from?
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:31 pm

We've got a changeling, donkey, and zebra. Nominally we have a griffon but Faces hasn't posted... Oh, and Mirror says he'll have a goat.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:53 pm

Those races are already taken? If that's the case, I would love to try out a buffalo. If I've got it the other way around, I think I can pull off a donkey or maybe a griffon.

Sorry for the mix-up, either way. I'll start working on a sheet for it, I suppose, and let me know. I'm really excited to try this out! Now if only I can remember where I found the blank character sheet when I was at work yesterday...
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:56 pm

lyric wrote:Those races are already taken? If that's the case, I would love to try out a buffalo. If I've got it the other way around, I think I can pull off a donkey or maybe a griffon.

Sorry for the mix-up, either way. I'll start working on a sheet for it, I suppose, and let me know. I'm really excited to try this out! Now if only I can remember where I found the blank character sheet when I was at work yesterday...

You got it right. Buffalo is open. Also, the sheet is in the Player's Handbook, scroll to near the bottom of the doc.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Ha! Thanks. I knew I saw it somewhere, and it's been driving me crazy all day.

Last edited by lyric on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Here is what I have so far. It's pretty much complete, but I say 'so far' because I really have no idea what I'm doing, and so would like some input before I decide it's final.

Would anypony take a look and see if I've made some egregious errors? Or even made a horribly planned character?
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:03 am

Hmm. Well, here are my thoughts (and you may want to hold out for Stairc's since...well...yeah). Your stats are pretty spread out and that could be good or bad I guess. I'm not really sure why you have Nightwatch over anything else and combined with He Did It! and Mechanics skill it seems a bit like you're going for a roguish character but, that doesn't really fit with the backstory you've presented. Though that could easily be remedied by just adding a bit to the backstory or I might be missing some reasoning you had for it. I'm not sure that the Stare is the greatest choice for your character since you already get Yee-Haw and it would mean in most cases you're choosing between one of the two every day. Still, not a terrible choice exactly. You combat talents however I can certainly say could use reworking though. You had a lot of +1's and such and no high cost high power ones. You might want to trade out two of those +1 powers for two other higher cost ones. I'm also not really sure how Confusion fits into the theme of how your character fights *shrug*.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 am

The utility and attributes look absolutely fine. You might want to go with Ramsus' suggestions on the combat talents though, Ramsus has played around in the system quite a bit.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:35 am

Thanks so much for your suggestions! Like I said, I'm completely new to this, so I really had very little of an idea for how it all works. I felt a little more comfortable with doing the training and attributes than the combat talents, for sure. I really don't know what's effective or makes sense, because I'm just so unfamiliar with doing some sort of combat system like this. I'll try and take another good look at the talent list in the morning and see if I can't try for a better combination.

As for the utility talents, I felt a little limited, only being able to choose from the 'everypony' talents, so I was trying to go with the things I felt were least likely to be out of character. I'll take another long look at those, as well, and see if I can't pick a group that makes more sense.

Thank you for the input.
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dead Mender Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:55 am

While this seems like a pretty big party, can I playtest the Sheep idea I had posted in the Hoofed Races thread?
Dead Mender
Dead Mender
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:09 am

Well, Mirror and faceyface haven't joined us yet so, not sure how big the party really will end up being. *shrug*

Lyric, I find it helps for the combat talents to start out by picking a sort of theme to what you're picking. Think a bit on how the things you're picking interact. Also, since you get 8 picks but can only choose 5 per combat you can think of it like two different styles of fighting your character does. So maybe one moveset is your raw damage dealing one and another is your support/healing/debuffing/crowd control/whatever one. (Of course Outcast's combat build is not like that at all....)
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dead Mender Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:42 am

I'm still awaiting feedback on the race though...
Dead Mender
Dead Mender
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:15 am

lyric wrote:Here is what I have so far. It's pretty much complete, but I say 'so far' because I really have no idea what I'm doing, and so would like some input before I decide it's final.

Would anypony take a look and see if I've made some egregious errors? Or even made a horribly planned character?

Hey lyric,

As far as combat abilities, I agree with what everypony else has said so far, but I would add that you might want to consider taking at least one ability that's around a -7 pip cost (as a kind of big-bang move when you've stored up a lot of pips - possibly a boss-finisher/serious crowd control/serious party buff) and you might also want to consider taking at least one +2 or +3 ability, so you have a way of generating pips fast when you need them. Cherry Bomb, Stab, and Knife in the Dark seem to all do about the same thing (dealing a small amount of damage for +1 Pip each), so I might consider replacing them with abilities that give you a more varied toolbox of combat abilities. Keep in mind, there's no limit to how many times you can use the same ability in a row - as long as you have pips to use - so it's best to consider how to be both fluffy and flexible.

As far as your stats go, it looks like you wanted to go for a more balanced character, and that's cool. Some people focus on boosting just a few stats as high as they can go, while others strive for balance. Either one has it's pros and cons. I'm not sure which playstyle is best in this system just yet, but I suppose we'll just learn together.

------------------------------------

Also, to Dead Mender -

I'd recommend just asking Masterweaver about what he'd prefer. You never know, he might be okay with you using your Sheep concept as is.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:38 am

Masterweaver wrote: Nominally we have a griffon but Faces hasn't posted...

Dang it, this was going slowly before I went to Scout Camp, and once I'm gone, everything goes to hyperspeed! XP

Sorry about my absence. If you'll still have me, I'll read through what's been posted and see if I can shoehorn my way in there somehow. If not, oh well.
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next