Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hooved Adventurers [Signup]

+8
lyric
XandZero2
Cainx13
MirrorImage
The Warrior of Many Faces
Stairc -Dan Felder
Ramsus
Masterweaver
12 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Hooved Adventurers [Signup] - Page 4 Empty Re: Hooved Adventurers [Signup]

Post  Masterweaver Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:50 am

Well, so long as you put the racials in the character sheet I'm happy.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Calling dibs on Minotaur. I'll have a character up in a bit.
Cardbo
Cardbo
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:09 pm

The Warrior of Many Faces wrote:
Masterweaver wrote: Nominally we have a griffon but Faces hasn't posted...

Dang it, this was going slowly before I went to Scout Camp, and once I'm gone, everything goes to hyperspeed! XP

Sorry about my absence. If you'll still have me, I'll read through what's been posted and see if I can shoehorn my way in there somehow. If not, oh well.

Hey Many, we really haven't done that much yet. I'm only speaking for myself here, but I don't really think it would be a problem for you to join in.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  MirrorImage Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Ehh, sorry. Things came up recently and I haven't had time to put effort into making a character. If someone wants to make a goat before I get around to it, go for it.

The hazard of working the night shift, I suppose.
MirrorImage
MirrorImage
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Alright, so just woke up and did a little reworking of the combat skills. I'm still missing two skills, but I'm gonna take a bit and see if anything genius comes to me after having some coffee and taking a break. I took away some of the +1's and added one with high - and high +.

Is it any better? Any tips? Like I said, I know I'm missing two more combat skills. I'm trying to think of things that she can make with her hooves or come up with that can be given a slightly mechanical twist. (Like construct/conjure fire giant. I figured it definitely wouldn't be out of her ability to invent and construct some sort of mechanical fire creature, although I think for the sake of realism that it would be one of her toughest creations.)

Again, thank you all so much for your help and advice. And mostly your patience!
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:48 pm

@Lyric, if you can't think of anything for those last two we could probably use some healing. Btw, just because it's called a fire elemental doesn't mean it actually has to be fire. It could just as easily be a robot or whatever.

@Carbo: Wow, that's a lot of skills.
Edit: *feeds carbo a quarter*

@Stairc: I noticed that conjure fire elemental still has +3 for a damage everyone attack. Did it not get nerfed along with the other damage everyone stuff for a specific reason or just because nobody remembered?

Hmmm, we now have a lot of players and are still missing elements and even weirder, not a single high Knowledge character unless I'm forgetting someone.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Sounds good, Ramsus. I added two healing combat talents that seem to be alright for me. Anything else? Is that it, then?
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:31 pm

/Cardbo's optical receptors light up

So if the PM(PonyMaster? StableMaster? Ponyherd?) gives okay, I'm going to start posting for Omi in the story thread.

Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ramsus Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Lyric, now you have 4 + things again. You really don't need more than two. At the least I'd drop Energize for something with a medium to high - value, since with your other + talents I can't see you likely bringing Energize into combat over them.
Ramsus
Ramsus

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Urgh, I'm never gonna get this right. Not gonna lie, I feel like I'm making a total idiot out of myself, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Alright, so something with - that will fit with my character... and I don't want to pick too much stuff that the party already has... But I don't really know what you already have anyway... So I'm thinking either:

[-X] Thunderstorm
You unleash X bolts of lightning. Each bolt of lightning targets a random creature and deals half of 2d10 damage.

and make it some sort of mechanics-based ranged attack that I feel could work with a buffalo. (My original imagining of Ratchet was a unicorn pony, so she could use weapons and the like.) Because obviously crossbow or some sort of early-stage firearm could fit in, but a buffalo can't really fire one of those. The other idea was maybe:

[-7] Wild Abandon [Created by Karilyn]
For the rest of the battle you deal an extra 2d6 damage and you suffer Vulnerability 3.

And I could say that on the regular she wears some sort of armour of her own creation (having the armour on would be her base defense or whatever, and taking it off would be 3 vulnerability). I could give it the basic idea of, "No, Ratchet, you're not an android [or whatever], you're just a buffalo. Take that armour off." It sounded cool in my head, but writing it out makes it sound really stupid so now I'm leaning more towards the Thunderstorm.

I don't know. *panics* I wish I was better at this. *sobs* I'm going to lose the whole campaign.

*recovers dignity* Okay, maybe not that bad, but I get the feeling I'll be more of a hindrance than a help.
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Masterweaver Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Eh I don't really care what you have for combat. And really, there's no right build.
Masterweaver
Masterweaver
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Warrior of Many Faces Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:48 pm

lyric wrote:Urgh, I'm never gonna get this right. Not gonna lie, I feel like I'm making a total idiot out of myself, I have no clue what I'm doing.

Lyric, the beauty of this system is that whatever you do with your character is right. Don't worry too much about messing up your character; so long as you're happy with how she works, nothing else matters.

Also, Masterweaver, am I still in?
Element of Harmony

Location : In my Doomed Fortress of Doomy Doom (tm), plotting to conquer the world!

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:50 pm

I figured. And I also figure that I have to learn somehow, but I didn't expect that I would get caught up just in the character creation process. hah

And thanks, Warrior. I guess I'm just pretty nervous, never having done this before.
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:50 pm

lyric wrote:Urgh, I'm never gonna get this right. Not gonna lie, I feel like I'm making a total idiot out of myself, I have no clue what I'm doing.

*smiles* Don't worry, you're not making an idiot out of yourself. The combat system isn't anywhere near as delicate as you might think. Even if you have nothing but 7 varied [+] abilities and one [-] ability, your character would still work fine.

The combat system offers a lot of depth to keep getting a slightly-stronger character if you pull out all the stops, but I made my own combat build in 15 minutes, and I know one of the original players (who is very valuable in combat) built his whole character in half an hour.

Don't stress over your choices too much. I guaruntee that it'll work out alright. Cool

lyric wrote:Alright, so something with - that will fit with my character... and I don't want to pick too much stuff that the party already has... But I don't really know what you already have anyway...

Don't worry about this either. The system is built to have us help one another. And since you can mix and match various talents, it's often a good thing if everyone can heal, deal damage, defend, AOE blast... And also good if players just focus on doing one specific thing as well as possible. Really, it's hard to go wrong with the system. There's just a lot of ways to go 'right'.

lyric wrote:So I'm thinking either:

[-X] Thunderstorm
You unleash X bolts of lightning. Each bolt of lightning targets a random creature and deals half of 2d10 damage.

and make it some sort of mechanics-based ranged attack that I feel could work with a buffalo. (My original imagining of Ratchet was a unicorn pony, so she could use weapons and the like.) Because obviously crossbow or some sort of early-stage firearm could fit in, but a buffalo can't really fire one of those. The other idea was maybe:

[-7] Wild Abandon [Created by Karilyn]
For the rest of the battle you deal an extra 2d6 damage and you suffer Vulnerability 3.

And I could say that on the regular she wears some sort of armour of her own creation (having the armour on would be her base defense or whatever, and taking it off would be 3 vulnerability). I could give it the basic idea of, "No, Ratchet, you're not an android [or whatever], you're just a buffalo. Take that armour off." It sounded cool in my head, but writing it out makes it sound really stupid so now I'm leaning more towards the Thunderstorm.

Both are very useful talents. Thunderstorm is great for activating the 10 critical and can help you grab victory from the edge of defeat when desperate. Wild Abandon is good for dishing out serious damage. Seriously, just grab what looks fun and don't worry about the rest. =)
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Hey Lyric, like everyone else already said - don't sweat this man. It's just a game. Have fun. You're build looks good so far. Don't get discouraged.

BTW - I like the idea of the Fire Giant being a mecha (;

I noticed you're still missing one combat talent it seems though. Also, how did you get trained in three skills? That's the global non-pony bonus, right?

@ Stairc/Masterweaver/Ramsus - should Zebras have 3 trained skills too, even with a cutie mark? If so, I've been shortchanging Z-Rock.

-In other words, yeah, we all make mistakes.

XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Yeah, I get three trained skills because I don't get a cutie mark skill bonus. And thanks. I know it's all supposed to be fun and games, like I said, a little nervous though. I hate being bad at stuff, so learning something new is always agonizing for me. Wink

And yeah, a few posts back I mentioned I was deciding between two combat talents, but I just went ahead and finished it up just now. I guess we'll see how well it works out.
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:01 pm

lyric wrote:Yeah, I get three trained skills because I don't get a cutie mark skill bonus. And thanks. I know it's all supposed to be fun and games, like I said, a little nervous though. I hate being bad at stuff, so learning something new is always agonizing for me. Wink

Glad to have you on board.

lyric wrote:And yeah, a few posts back I mentioned I was deciding between two combat talents, but I just went ahead and finished it up just now. I guess we'll see how well it works out.

I'm sure it'll be great. And if you have any slip-ups, we'll walk you right through it. Players brand new to roleplaying are my favorite players. And let's be honest, with this system - we're all newbies. king
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  lyric Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks so much, Stairc, you're being absolutely wonderful. haha I think I'm happy with where the character is at now, especially after the help and advice from you all.
lyric
lyric
Background Pony
Background Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:11 pm

lyric wrote:Thanks so much, Stairc, you're being absolutely wonderful. haha I think I'm happy with where the character is at now, especially after the help and advice from you all.

Great. Looking forward to the game.

I might run a forum game of my own actually... Would anyone be interested in that?
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:
I might run a forum game of my own actually... Would anyone be interested in that?

Potentially, yes, but in all fairness, you should probably start up another thread for discussion of that one (;
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Cardbo Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:16 pm

I'd like to change Omi's Minotaur racial trait Creepy Admirer to the below Minotaur only racial talent.

FanPony - Minotaur Only
Some ponies just really like hands. A Fancolt/Fanfilly will follow you around and will run minor errands, but will flee in case combat happens. Errands might include getting food, running to the store, and acting as a general caddy.
Cardbo
Cardbo

Back to top Go down

Post  XandZero2 Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Omi looks like an interesting character, seeing as he's a minotaur monk. The only thing that gives me some pause is his Element of Harmony. If he's so focused on his study, perhaps Honesty or Loyalty would be a better fit than Kindness? Just a thought.
XandZero2
XandZero2
Best Pony
Best Pony

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:53 pm

XandZero2 wrote:
Stairc -Dan Felder wrote:

Potentially, yes, but in all fairness, you should probably start up another thread for discussion of that one (;

*laughs* True indeed. I'm not actually sure about it yet, so I just wanted to see if there was interest (or if I'd be up for it) before making a thread about it.

Cardbo wrote:I'd like to change Omi's Minotaur racial trait Creepy Admirer to the below Minotaur only racial talent.

FanPony - Minotaur Only
Some ponies just really like hands. A Fancolt/Fanfilly will follow you around and will run minor errands, but will flee in case combat happens. Errands might include getting food, running to the store, and acting as a general caddy.

Actually, the minotaur template has... like... a bazillion iterations. Let me put together something I'd be interested in seeing playtested.
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Stairc -Dan Felder Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:01 pm

How about this?

Minotaur
Satisfaction Guaranteed
At the beginning of the day, choose one of your trained skills. Until the end of the day, your allies are considered trained in that skill.

Show Them How You Rock! -Daily
You can tell the DM to treat the result of a d20 roll he just made as a 1. No rerolls are possible.

Attack The Day! - Magic
Trigger - You or one of your allies rolls a natural 20 on a skill check they do not have a cutie mark in.
Treat the result as though it were a cutie mark critical
Stairc -Dan Felder
Stairc -Dan Felder
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next