Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!)

+5
Fury of the Tempest
Quietkal
ZamuelNow
Crystalite
Curunir
9 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!)

Post  Copper Rose Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Here's a link to Coral Wrench, though she's not nearly done being updated. Anything below the section like this, please ignore.
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Planetfall : Alpha Equulei (Started/Enough players!)

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:18 am

Caden2112 wrote:True, I forget about that I suppose. Still, stable food source is good. We can't rely on instant party to feed a whole colony, after all, and I'm assuming that's the endgoal here. Razz

Oh that's perfectly valid. It's just interesting exactly where parts of the franchise sit on the vegan/vegetarian/omnivore line.

I think I just came up with two interesting ideas that I might do builds for. May or may not submit them to the campaign but they have potential. One request/suggestion to Curunir: Perhaps you should add the roles to the first post along with the character names. Makes it easier to see what's already covered and quicker for splitting teams if you get a lot of entrants.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow
Freakin' Alicorn Princess

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:19 am

Good idea, will do!

Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

http://turtlgandalf.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:21 am

Sorry I haven't responded till now. I completely forgot I posted in this...

Anyway, I'm thinking of breaking the mold a little and putting together a hippogriff character (Parents were a griffin and pony respectively)

Link the Hippogriff.... now I just need to make a character sheet... I've been putting off learning how to use Google Drive for this purpose for too long anyway.
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Copper Rose Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:25 am

Oh, almost forgot. Coral's main diet would probably be seaweed and normal diet stuff, plus some fish sometimes; aka sushi (for example) is a good treat, but not her main diet. Also likes trying new foods.

What skill would most likely be used for cooking, if you make us roll for that?
Copper Rose
Copper Rose
Epic Pwny

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:30 am

Good question: probably streetwise, since I've tied it to general survival skills. Maybe heal if you were cooking something particularly exotic/potentially dangerous if prepared incorrectly.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Elegant Force Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:42 am

Hello, everyone! First I just want to say that I'm really looking forward to playing with all of you!

I'm new here, but I know Curunir really well in real life (we used to live in the same apartment). And I actually made this character for something else, which ended up not working out, and asked him to let me know if I would have the opportunity to use her (because I really liked the idea), so here I am. My character is Astral Arc (as you can see from the posting).

I assumed I should say hello and also quickly summarize what my skills are. Astral is super narrowly focused. She's obsessed with magical theory and is really good with electricity. So, her skills are Arcana, Technology, and Mechanics. She's also trained in Persuasion. She's mainly a support character by her abilities, and that will probably be her role in the main part of the campaign. Interestingly enough, her combat skills are actually pretty good (because a lot of the lightning flavored standard combat stuff is pretty intense).

And just as a warning, she's a bit... grumpy due to her current life circumstances, and unhappy Crystal Ponies can sort of be downers (that's why she looks all dull and not shiny in her picture). Sorry about that, but she's got pretty good reasons.
Elegant Force
Elegant Force
Cutie Mark Crusader
Cutie Mark Crusader

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:21 am

Link the Hippogriff is good and almost ready. I need some help working out combat talents and such, but other then that he is pretty much good to go.
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:43 pm

There's...some very interesting things going on with your sheet.
Racial abilities have been done away with, and all characters start with a free Expert Skill. Generally Cutie Marks are flavored as such.

For Flight, getting up to the -10 on checks is actually 3 points, using the following abilities
It’s Almost Like Flying (1) – At Will
[*]
You can fly with terrible maneuverability (you suffer a -15 penalty to skill  checks made to fly). You can also hover in one place, and may walk on and interact with clouds as if they were soft, yet solid,  objects.
Flight (2)
Prerequisite: It’s Almost Like Flying
Your flying improves from terrible maneuverability to poor maneuverability (you suffer a -10 penalty to skill checks made to fly).
You're correctly built for getting better at flying beyond that, but this puts you 1 point overbought.

Fast as Lightning doesn't cost a Magic Point anymore, and makes me confused because you listed the new ability cost for it without using the new ability.
The Rainbow Dash (5) – 2/Day
For the next two seconds, you may move at a speed up to 30 miles per second. Moving this fast is extremely dangerous, meaning you may carry at most one creature at a time while moving at these speeds. When you use this talent, you may spend a Magic Point to increase this speed to 60 miles per second instead.

Defensive Blade granting protection from combat advantage...I don't think we're using the tabletop combat system, though I could be wrong. Curunir?
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Quietkal wrote:There's...some very interesting things going on with your sheet.
Racial abilities have been done away with, and all characters start with a free Expert Skill. Generally Cutie Marks are flavored as such.

For Flight, getting up to the -10 on checks is actually 3 points, using the following abilities
It’s Almost Like Flying (1) – At Will
[*]
You can fly with terrible maneuverability (you suffer a -15 penalty to skill  checks made to fly). You can also hover in one place, and may walk on and interact with clouds as if they were soft, yet solid,  objects.

[*]
Flight (2)
Prerequisite: It’s Almost Like Flying
Your flying improves from terrible maneuverability to poor maneuverability (you suffer a -10 penalty to skill checks made to fly).
You're correctly built for getting better at flying beyond that, but this puts you 1 point overbought.

Fast as Lightning doesn't cost a Magic Point anymore, and makes me confused because you listed the new ability cost for it without using the new ability.
The Rainbow Dash (5) – 2/Day
For the next two seconds, you may move at a speed up to 30 miles per second. Moving this fast is extremely dangerous, meaning you may carry at most one creature at a time while moving at these speeds. When you use this talent, you may spend a Magic Point to increase this speed to 60 miles per second instead.

Defensive Blade granting protection from combat advantage...I don't think we're using the tabletop combat system, though I could be wrong. Curunir?

Okay. To answer all this in order...

I wasn't aware of the loss of racial traits and I've already added the cutie mark (Expert skill) in already because racial traits of Hippogriffs include a cutie mark. What with having the hindquarters of a pony and all.

About flight. I was working under the notion that racial traits were still in play and since Hippogriffs get a -10 penalty to flying from the get go because of their griffin side, buying the flight that was -15 seemed like a pointless waste.

Fast as Lightning was another racial thing Hippogriffs got, at least where I was looking. Something about giving them a talent to break them away from their pony and griffin counterparts and giving them something of their own. Would you mind linking me the source you're looking at? I suspect it's more up to date then where I got my version of the ability form. I don't believe Fast as Lightning and The Rainbow Dash are the same ability through.

As for the combat system... He did say this was Play by Post so I assumed we weren't using the skype rules. However, I'll correct that once it has been cleared up.

So yeah, once I get a look at the updated version of Fast as Lightning I'll fix things up to the best of my ability.
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:49 pm

You're good; I'd like to apologize if I'm coming off as rude. I'm just pretty surprised by parts of your sheet, because things like pegasi-specific talents haven't been a part of the system for...quite a long time. Abilities are fairly new however so I can understand the complications with it.
(Abilities Document)
You can also get to it through the Official Sourcebooks thread, or the Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony Player's Handbook. (sourcebook thread) (player's handbook)
Fast as Lightning and The Rainbow Dash were functionally the same thing in the Utility system, except that Fast as Lightning was a racial trait and The Rainbow Dash was a utility.
Races document -not part of Abilities system
Fast As Lightning (2) - 1/Day
Legends say that Hippogriffs can fly at the speed of lightning and it’s true that Hippogriffs can reach blisteringly fast speeds for very short amounts of time. For the next two seconds, you may move at a speed up to 30 miles per second. Moving this fast is extremely dangerous, meaning you may only carry one person at a time while moving at these speeds. When you use this talent - you may spend a Magic Point to increase this speed to 60 miles per second instead.[*]
Utility document -not part of Abilities system
The Rainbow Dash - 1/Day
For the next two seconds, you may move at a speed up to 30 miles per second. Moving this fast is extremely dangerous, meaning you may only carry one person at a time while moving at these speeds. When you use this talent - you may spend a Magic Point to increase this speed to 60 miles per second instead.[*]
Generally Play-by-post games use Skype rules for combat because of the similar lack of a tabletop surface or simple grid for combat, although I guess Curunir could have a plan for how to do it on the forums using a table function or some other method.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Yep, Quietkal's right- We are using the Abilities system, which combines the old Racial and Utility sections into a single "Abilities" category.

We are also using the "Skype" combat rules: combat via PbP can already be hassle enough without trying to include a board and movement (although as Quietkal mentions, it could be possible) Indeed, the vast majority of PBP games do go by the "Skype" rules.

Quietkal is definitely just trying to help- the system can be a little confusing at first glance, especially with the distinctions between Skype/Tabletop combat rules, and the (relatively) recent shift to the Abilities system. This sort of thing happens all the time in setting up a game- and is one of the reasons we show each other our character sheets, so that we can get help on them as necessary.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:01 pm

Alright, updated my abilities and fixed my items so that they are going by skype rules.

Still need help understanding combat stuff through.
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:29 pm

If you had a psionic link with your companion, would you be allowed to teleport to locations they can see?
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:26 am

If you have any specific questions about combat, I'm ready and willing to answer them.
In general, I'd suggest finding a combat talent or a combination you like and then build around it.
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:26 am

Nevermind. I found Combat talents and I've entered them. I just need someone to double check Link to make sure he is up to par now.
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Quietkal Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:23 am

He checks out, though you have some free points left over. You don't technically have to do anything with them, but it wouldn't hurt to spend them on something.
1 Ability Point
Things you could take with that 1 point:

500 gold
Things you can take with that 500 gold:
Quietkal
Quietkal
Element of Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:05 am

Oh right, forgot to get swimming...

Gold gets saved up over time, right?
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:20 am

Yes- though at each level you'll also get to shift around where you spent your gold (you might as well spend it all, you can change your choices later without penalty)

ZamuelNow wrote:If you had a psionic link with your companion, would you be allowed to teleport to locations they can see?

Sorry, almost missed your question there...  I'd say yes, you can: as long as you can see your destination in some form or other, you can teleport to your destination (assuming any other conditions of the teleport, such as range, are met)

Also, have you decided whether you will in fact be making a character?
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:46 am

So do we have any idea when this is going to begin?
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am

I'm either

A) waiting for Crystalite's character (or to hear back if he won't be joining the campaign if he's too busy)

or

B) waiting to hear from ZamuelNow, at which point there's enough players to form two groups of 4, at which point the complete group will start.

I also might start if I get word that the characters are on the verge of being completed, even if they are not finalized yet.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  ZamuelNow Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:57 am

Curunir wrote:Also, have you decided whether you will in fact be making a character?  

I am trying to get one fleshed out. May take a bit to make sure they're complete though I have work and my other campaigns to deal with. So it's a "yes" but if you're ready to start, don't worry about waiting for me. Wouldn't want to hold you up.
ZamuelNow
ZamuelNow

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:02 am

In that case, go ahead and make a character!  I'll go ahead and start a thread for one of the groups- the other group will consist of you, Crystalite's character, and 2 others (sorry if you get put in that category!  Let me know if you volunteer to wait: Otherwise it'll be determined somewhat randomly.)  Depending on the actions of the characters, or if we happen to lose a couple characters, I'll merge the groups back together again.

Groups:
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Curunir Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:16 am

Also, Copper Rose, I just realized looking over your character sheet there's something really odd about your attributes.  I know you haven't finished adjusting Coral Wrench to this campaign and the Abilities system, but just thought I'd point that out.  It's very interesting: was there another campaign that houseruled a change to the way the Attributes worked?

Put Coral Wrench in the second group since her character sheet isn't quite done yet.  Then randomly picked the fourth member of group 2 (still subject to change if anyone volunteers to give their slot in group 1 to Gearick instead of posting)

I'll be putting up a post for group 1 soon.
Curunir
Curunir
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Senshuken Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:35 am

Will group 1 and 2 be in contact with each other, or will they simply remain separate?
Senshuken
Senshuken
Equestrian Honor Guard
Equestrian Honor Guard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next